evc tipping? and AKL room for evc

fran99999

DIS Veteran
I will be using an evc for the first time this trip. Do I tip the bus drivers at WDW? If so how much? I know I have to tip the Bell clerks at pick up and return.

Also, now i'm not sure my evc will fit in the Deluxe Savanah room with Bunkbeds and daybed at AKL. Is there enough room for it in my room? Are the HP rooms bigger? Do any of them have Bunkbeds and daybeds. I have dh ds(5), dd (16) and a rent a kid ( dd best friend 16) so we need the bunkbeds with the daybed.

Funny how life gets in the way of living.

Hi and welcome to disABILITIES.:wave:
I can answer one of your questons and hopefully others will be along to answer the rest.
Do I tip the bus drivers at WDW?
no need to tip the bus drivers. They are not expecting a tip and (from the official WDW stuff I have read) not supposed to accept tips.

The handicapped rooms at AKL aren't any bigger but the bathrooms are. You could actually store the ECV in there it's so huge! I don't think any of these rooms come with the bunkbed combination but then I'm not positive on that one. We've always had the two queens with a connecting room also having two queens. It's a great resort for navigating with a wheelchair/ecv. Hope you have a great time! ---Kathy

Oooh, this thread taking me back to our wonderful AKL stay last October. Very vivid memories of wheeling my son's manual chair down the hall (sorry, that's "trail", Zebra Trail in our case) and seeing a half dozen ECVs parked and charging inthe passageway.

Ahhh, take me back.:sunny:

Kathy, I had one with bunkbeds and a queen when I was at AKL one time. It was fine and there was a place I could put the wheelchair when I was out of it. It was between the chest and the closet area where the door is to the connecting room. Since we were not using that it was fine.

Talking Hands- Would there have been room for you if you had to stay in your chair? I am "attached" to mine by equipment all the time so am curious about the space between the beds to maneuver in this type of room. I know my boys would prefer the bunks. Once we were in a room at AKL where there wasn't space on the right side of the bed. Maintenance had to disassemble the bed which made me feel as though I was in a storage room. The table/chairs were pushed against the balcony and the headboard was still in it's place with the bed moved several feet over. I wasn't too happy that time, but generally all the rooms there have been fine. ----Kathy

Kathy,
I have seen your wheelchair and no I do not think that there would have been sufficient room. You have seen mine and it is much smaller than yours. Not really any bigger than the size of a regular chair. It would have been a very tight fit for you, if you could have made it at all. Width would have been fine to get to the balcony but there would have been no room to turn easily.

Originally posted by fran99999
I will be using an evc for the first time this trip. Do I tip the bus drivers at WDW? If so how much? I know I have to tip the Bell clerks at pick up and return.

Also, now i'm not sure my evc will fit in the Deluxe Savanah room with Bunkbeds and daybed at AKL. Is there enough room for it in my room? Are the HP rooms bigger? Do any of them have Bunkbeds and daybeds. I have dh ds(5), dd (16) and a rent a kid ( dd best friend 16) so we need the bunkbeds with the daybed.

Funny how life gets in the way of living.

You don't need to tip the bus driver OR the bellhops.
it is not like when they bring lugguage to your room or something
when the company drops the scooter they just stick it in a room and give it to you when you arrive.
I suppose if they did deliver it to your room you would tip them.
Many times if you need a HC room and it will not hold all your party but a regular room at the resort would have then they will comp. you a second room.

Thank you all. I feel better now.

I was thinking rather than worry about all this I would just try to walk it at WDW.
I went for my monthy Dr appt. I told him I may not rent a evc I may just try to walk it. He laughed so hard he had to get a drink of water to stop choking. Guess it isn't really an option after all :(

He was nice enough to remind me how stupid I'd feel when my knee gave out and I end up in a heap on the ground at least a dozen times a day. Told me the only reason I was walking now was my stubborn streak. AHHH to have a Dr know you so well. LOL And that I wouldn't really enjoy WDW on the stupid morphine pills he would have to refill for the pain. I would however be in a "Magical place in my own mind" .

So I am all reserved and ready to go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter