EVC...am I NUTS?

cynzilla

Syringomyelia.....not just a disease, but an adven
Hi. Just wondering (since I am up @2:39am excited about our Disney trip in 18 days:cool1:) do those on EVCs ever avoid a place due to either people, crowds or anxiety??

I have been to Disney 10 times now and can't bring myself to go into the Main Street Bakery because it looks like its going to be too much of a hassle to maneuver around in.

Pinocchio Haus left me in tears after I discovered the tables are bolted to the floor!!!!!

:confused3 Is it me?:confused3

I have to admit that when I rented one for a sprained ankle, there were places I just parked and hobbled in. There are some places they just don't fit, and the crowds don't help.

I often avoid places....both at WDW and when I shop at home. Some places just have such narrow aisles and so much merchandise sitting in the middle of the aisle that I just don't go there.

My husband usually waits outside when I am in a store. If he chooses to come inside, he will park his EVC and use his cane inside.

DH tries to create as little obstruction for others with his EVC.

Full time wheelchair user here and I avoid crowded or closed in spaces as much as I can. For WDW this just means I don't go during peak season.

Thanks, I am in no way not confident and my husband always encourages me to plow through it (or the people and chairs and tables:rotfl2:), it just seems like sometimes its just not worth the aggravation!

Thanks for understanding and support! I always appreciate the kindness on this board!:flower3:

I am of a different opinion. If you want to go some place over a certain time then you should do it. If it is crowded or narrow then do your best to work it out. My mom is an ECV user and i want her to go where ever she wants. It is her right and yours. We just think ahead...try to use back roads/walkways, try not to run anybody over... Don't fear potential problems, they may not materialize once you get there... Go, have fun, work it out when a problem presents itself...don't let it impact your level of enjoyment.

If i did not hound my mom all of the time she would never leave the house. Not much of an existence if you are trapped. Get to know your park maps really well. If you pay attention you will realize the parks are actually pretty small. If you cut though alleyways and back walkways you can get around pretty quickly. Good luck.

I usually try to go into shops but sometimes leave pretty quickly if the shop is crowded or not easy to get around in. Restaurants can be pretty tricky and have left me very frustrated but I don't think there's been one that we've skipped because of the ecv. Either I hobble along on foot or we're able to find a decent table or take the food to another spot to eat.

Lana

I was 100 percent non-weight bearing on a recent trip due to a torn tendon. I found myself just not shopping--it was too much of a hassle to maneuver through the aisles, to reach things that were hung up, or to get close enough to pick things up and look at them. It's hard enough to maneuver on the walkways. Being in an ECV is no fun!

I am of a different opinion. If you want to go some place over a certain time then you should do it. If it is crowded or narrow then do your best to work it out. My mom is an ECV user and i want her to go where ever she wants. It is her right and yours. We just think ahead...try to use back roads/walkways, try not to run anybody over... Don't fear potential problems, they may not materialize once you get there... Go, have fun, work it out when a problem presents itself...don't let it impact your level of enjoyment.

If i did not hound my mom all of the time she would never leave the house. Not much of an existence if you are trapped. Get to know your park maps really well. If you pay attention you will realize the parks are actually pretty small. If you cut though alleyways and back walkways you can get around pretty quickly. Good luck.

I understand what you mean about wanting to go anywhere, but when you are the one in the chair or ECV, and you encounter things like this time and again, you find it easier to avoid places than to fight it.

If you have never tried going into one of those areas in a ECV or wheelchair, borrow your mother's and then see if you are willing to do that again. You might be surprised that your views have changed.

I am a part time wheelchair user and the other day I went shopping at our local outlet mall by myself. My chair is not real big. I got to the point that after trying to get thru areas, I started pushing the racks out of the way. It was the only way I could get to where I wanted to go. Not a good answer, but I was totally frustrated after going to store after store and all being this way. I will never go into those stores again when I am alone. It is not worth the hassle!

If you have never tried going into one of those areas in a ECV or wheelchair, borrow your mother's and then see if you are willing to do that again. You might be surprised that your views have changed.

:) That would not be good. I am a, "I have bumpers and i know how to use them" kind of a person... pirate:

Thank you for your insights and i do understand what you are saying.

Full time wheelchair or powerchair user here, and I definitely avoid certain places at certain times. There are some stores I just cannot get around in, but at least in Disney, there is rarely "exclusive" merchandise. I figure I can get it elsewhere without facing a room full of tushes.

Thank you all! Sometimes it's just nice to "feel normal"!:rotfl2:

I've done WDW in an ECV several times, and I picked my battles. I wish folks with double strollers would do the same, but that's a dif thread. My son uses an ECV, and we definitely bypass places if they are too crowded or have him park it and walk to go in. A mix of walking and riding is good for him, but being jostled by a crowd isn't. Having the view of butts is no treat, and you miss seeing so much because your busy driving.

I figure I can get it elsewhere without facing a room full of tushes.

HAHA - boy, do I understand THIS! We avoid going down Main Street in DLR after a parade or at closing time because I can go a full hour seeing nothing but tushes while we pass like sardines through the exit.

I pick my battles too. My power chair has given me a completely new life of independence so I do not like to restrict myself too much out of simple fear. However, there are times and places it is just not worth the aggravation.

Such as:

• At counter service restaurants like Casey's Corner where those stupid metal railings block you in and out for ordering. And they never seem to have the wheelie-friendly kiosk open for business.
  • EPCOT right at park closing when the exodus of bodies crowds the exit. I usually just sit back and enjoy the scenery until the crowd lessens.
  • EPCOT on New Year's Eve is far too crowded for my liking. I got stuck in the world's worst gridlock a couple years ago. One of those situations when the traffic doesn't move, it just compresses around you. I was so worried a fight would break out from the tension. People also couldn't see me and assumed the blank space occupying the area above my head meant they had a free path to cram into. Because of this I swore off visiting EPCOT on NYE. I go to the Studios instead.
  • Shopping can be a challenge everywhere. Stores are not laid out for us wheelie folks. either merchandise is crammed together or stacked too high to reach. But I love shopping too much to stay home. I just figure out how to cope when I'm there. Go slow or ask for help. People are usually very gracious when they realize I could use a little helping hand. I just recently figured out how to handle a grocery store by pushing a shopping cart backwards where the wheels turn. It was a pain having all this merchandise to carry in my hands. Now I have a cart like everyone else.
  • I always try to look for my parade and fireworks viewing spots at least 30-45 minutes ahead of time. I find it easier to be parked and let the pedestrians crowd around me than face a wall full of butts blocking my view. I'm really short. Anything over 4 feet is clear view for the person behind me. Little kids I let sit up in front of me, even if they arrive late to the show. I wish everyone at shows would be considerate to the height-challenged.
  • My favorite time to drive my power chair about is in a space the least crowded. Then I can wander about freely and not worry about braking or avoiding.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter