EV: Have there been any issues reported for charging stations?

Mambo Junkie

DIS Veteran
Someone unplugged our vehicle at MK the other night. Have there been any incidents such as this reported? Need to charge and unsure where.

I don’t have an EV, so don’t know how it’s done. Do you park car in spot and leave it for a few hours?

My charger port locks the cable in place unless I am there with my fob to unlock and remove the cable.

I don’t have an EV, so don’t know how it’s done. Do you park car in spot and leave it for a few hours?
That's what you are supposed to do. Park it until it's charged and then move it so others can charge up. Most people don't tend to do that at Disney.

It's probably just someone being difficult. My friend has an EV and charges at the parks frequently. She hasn't mentioned any issues.

What is posted here is the major reason so many of us are very hesitant to rent an EV for a park centered trip.

The fear of either not finding & confusion as to how to utilize the charging stations.

But are you suppose to plug in your car and leave it for hours?

Have no idea how long it takes to charge or how many chargers there are.

Side question, do you have to pay to charge? Again, I have no idea the care and running of a EV car.
It can vary on the type of battery you have and how much it needs to be charged. In most cases, 8 hours is the max. But for some it’s less. And yes, there is a charge at Disney. Online it says 2 chargers at each park, but I’m not sure how current that information is. I thought I saw more. However, it’s really not enough. My friends got suckered into renting an EV because the rental company offered a really low rate. They had no clue and let’s just say it didn’t go well.

There is another recent thread on this topic. Even some of those who own an EV say they have no plans to rent one when on vacation due to the various issues associated with charging. Clearly it takes FAR longer to recharge the battery compared to filling the gas tank on regular vehicles. Even if you find a working/available charging station, there are currently no national standards for charging. Every station may not be compatible with the connector your particular vehicle has. Trying to figure all that out while on vacations is part of why EV's aren't popular rental vehicles.

"Charge rage" is becoming a thing. People arriving and wanting to charge and angry that others are at a station and not monitoring their charge and moving when done.

We have a serious lack of charging stations and small number of spots at stations. That includes Interstates in my area. people want to plug in a a destination and go shop, or see a movie, or whatever. Not sit and monitor their charge until it reaches 100%. It's problematic!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter