Europe hotels for families

jhoannam

Planner-aholic
Our plans are to do a 7 Day Mediterranean cruise in 2019. I'm trying to research hotel pricing and I'm having a very difficult time finding hotels that sleep more than 3 (we are a family of 4). Do most of you just do AirBnB? I would really like to do hotels and I want to use credit card reward points.

If you are a family of 4, where did you stay? TIA

Not sure which city you are looking (assume Barcelona?), but we just stayed in the Capri by Fraser - Barcelona and LOVED it. We are a family of four with a 4 and 2 year old. We had a 2 room suite with a kitchen and it was PERFECT (and super reasonably priced - <$200 a night). We are big fans of using public transportation, so we did the metro to the stop closest to the hotel (a short walk), and then taxied to port on embarkation day.

We toyed with AirBnB but liked feeling a bit more "secure" in a hotel. I agree, hotels for families were hard to find!

Not sure which city you are looking (assume Barcelona?), but we just stayed in the Capri by Fraser - Barcelona and LOVED it. We are a family of four with a 4 and 2 year old. We had a 2 room suite with a kitchen and it was PERFECT (and super reasonably priced - <$200 a night). We are big fans of using public transportation, so we did the metro to the stop closest to the hotel (a short walk), and then taxied to port on embarkation day.

We toyed with AirBnB but liked feeling a bit more "secure" in a hotel. I agree, hotels for families were hard to find!

What hotel was it? Our precruise plans are: Amsterdam and Copenhagen. With the cruise that leaves Barcelona.

Capri by Fraser is the "brand". We stayed in Barcelona. I can't remember if there's problems if you link, so a google search for "Capri by Fraser Barcelona" will do it for you!

What hotel was it? Our precruise plans are: Amsterdam and Copenhagen. With the cruise that leaves Barcelona.
Copenhagen a family of 4 stayed at Radisson Blu Scandinavia Hotel Copenhagen, there are also smaller hotels. In Barcelona, our family highly recommends Hotel Colon, there are multiple Radisson Blu in most European cities

Our plans are to do a 7 Day Mediterranean cruise in 2019. I'm trying to research hotel pricing and I'm having a very difficult time finding hotels that sleep more than 3 (we are a family of 4). Do most of you just do AirBnB? I would really like to do hotels and I want to use credit card reward points.

If you are a family of 4, where did you stay? TIA
Four is tough to find lodging for? Try being a family of 5! My advice is to use a site like Booking.com to find places that accommodate 4. But you're right, many places we checked in Copenhagen, Hamburg, and Amsterdam didn't have rooms for more than 3. However, we found hotels in all 3 places that could sleep 5. But, we also went the Airbnb route for a houseboat in Amsterdam which was really cool!

I see you're going to Copenhagen. We stayed at the Marriot which was awesome! We cashed in Marriot points and had a junior suite which gave us access to the Executive Lounge. The lounge had free breakfast, hors d'oeuvres every night which passed as dinner, and a 4 hour happy hour with free beer, wine and sodas. We loved the Marriot.

Amsterdam lodging is very expensive. I highly recommend our house boat that we booked via Airbnb.

MUN

Copenhagen a family of 4 stayed at Radisson Blu Scandinavia Hotel Copenhagen, there are also smaller hotels. In Barcelona, our family highly recommends Hotel Colon, there are multiple Radisson Blu in most European cities
Thank you, will look at maybe getting a Radisson Blu

Thank you, I will look into getting a Club Carlson credit card to help.

I see you're going to Copenhagen. We stayed at the Marriot which was awesome! We cashed in Marriot points and had a junior suite which gave us access to the Executive Lounge. The lounge had free breakfast, hors d'oeuvres every night which passed as dinner, and a 4 hour happy hour with free beer, wine and sodas. We loved the Marriot.

Amsterdam lodging is very expensive. I highly recommend our house boat that we booked via Airbnb.

MUN
This is wonderful information, I saw the Bucketlist Family stayed on a house boat. I will definitely look into this.

Capri by Fraser is the "brand". We stayed in Barcelona. I can't remember if there's problems if you link, so a google search for "Capri by Fraser Barcelona" will do it for you!

Sorry, I thought Capri by Fraser was area in Barcelona. I'll check them out.

4 of us stayed at Hotel Colon in 2014 and enjoyed the proximity of the Barcelona Catherdral and Las Ramblas. The second time we stayed at Hotel Avenida close to Placa de Catalunya where the Las Ramblas starts (or begins). Rooms at the latter hotel was huge. Bedroom was separated from the living room. We will be staying there next July 2018 for the 10-day Med cruise. We are a group of 6 so had to divide into 2 groups of 3 for 2 suites worth $297/day for each room and this includes breakfast.

We've found it tough to find places for 3 in Europe, let alone four. The US/Intl branded hotels are a bit better for this, although they tend to be on the expensive side. Radisson Blu and Marriott are two that I noticed had larger rooms, both in Copenhagen.

We stayed at the Hilton Diagonal Mar in Barcelona a few weeks ago and it was perfect. We booked a "King Family Room" which had a king bed, a pull out couch and they brought in a rollaway which was perfect. We paid 258 EUR/nt for a prepaid rate, which included tax. 24 EUR from hotel to pier, could not have been better.

Also we were a gold Hilton honors - got us a free breakfast buffet each day for whole party

I have done several things while traveling in Europe as a family of five. We have rented through VRBO and Airbnb, but also often stay at Holiday Inn Expresses that have family rooms. I also ran into several cases where the website would only let me book for three, but I contacted the hotel and was allowed to put four in a room once there (when we had more than 5 with us), so you may be able to do that, too.

We are 5 and usually book 2 rooms, but my parents went on our DCL Baltic with us and had one of the kids fly and sleep with them, so we only had to accommodate 4 this time. We used the Tivoli in Copenhagen and they had rooms that slept 4. I would book early though, because it seems the rooms for larger families book up early.

In Amsterdam we've used the Marriott which is in a great location. Typically Marriotts, Hiltons, Hyatts can accommodate 4. If we're staying in a local/European brand hotel we'll get 2 rooms and 1 parent stays in each (although honestly we usually just all crowd into one at bedtime)

I have done several things while traveling in Europe as a family of five. We have rented through VRBO and Airbnb, but also often stay at Holiday Inn Expresses that have family rooms. I also ran into several cases where the website would only let me book for three, but I contacted the hotel and was allowed to put four in a room once there (when we had more than 5 with us), so you may be able to do that, too.
Oh that's good to know... i may call the hotel before I book.

If you use trivago, you set the room type to family room and enter the ages of your kids and it will find hotels rooms that will fit your family

In Amsterdam we've used the Marriott which is in a great location. Typically Marriotts, Hiltons, Hyatts can accommodate 4. If we're staying in a local/European brand hotel we'll get 2 rooms and 1 parent stays in each (although honestly we usually just all crowd into one at bedtime)
I really want to avoid splitting up, unless they could guarantee rooms next to each other.

Oh that's good to know... i may call the hotel before I book.

The IHG website (where you would search for Holiday Inn family hotels) has a feature up top where you can put the correct number of people and then it will tell you which hotels in whatever city you are searching can accommodate you. If none show as available, then change your search to one child and try again. Then you can email the hotels directly through their page. No need to call unless you just want to. I ran into this traveling to South Africa last fall, too. One hotel would only let me book for two, but I could see in the description that there was a sleeper couch, so I emailed and they assured me it was fine. So don't assume because you can't book for four, that the hotel won't let you have four. We also like the Crowne Plazas we have stayed at in Europe. We stayed at the Intercontinental Amstel Amsterdam and it was an amazing hotel. We had my mother with us then, so booked two connecting rooms and it was like a massive suite. Hope this helps! If you are curious about some of the hotels we have stayed at, I do trip reports in my blog (linked in signature). It's not just Disney trips :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter