Europe cruises/travel summer 2020 -Anyone else thinking of cancelling??

Monkeydawn, that is a fascinating article! Where did you find it?
Hubby and I are sitting here discussing cancelling. Our emails at work today were non-stop how to handle COVID-19 (we are medical) exposures, patients and precautions. Seriously thinking about cancelling Northern Europe and road tripping to the mountains... a year of planning and flights gone... but that article summarizes in a scary way how it can affect healthy people.

that article gives you no information on whether any of the 82 patients studied were "healthy people".
We know nothing about their pre-existing conditions.
In fact, given that it is a China based study, we can say that many of the patients were most likely heavy smokers and in any case, were living in an area of very high air pollution. A level of air pollution that does not exist anywhere in the US, with the resultant lung damage over time that it causes.
Bottom line, you should not draw conclusions about how covid19 affects "healthy people" from that article.

I'm 55 with asthma, so I guess that makes me one of those middle aged with co morbidities? 1-2% doesn't sound like much, but I've bought lottery tickets with much, much lower chances, and somewhere deep down I must think there is a chance I'm going to win that lottery... But if only 15% or so of US population were to get this virus (about what happened on the Diamond Princess), wouldn't the hospitals be overwhelmed?

yes, that's the problem - there is the potential for the health care system to be overwhelmed by the number of critical cases.
that's where hard decisions have to be made.

That you are near a case doesn't mean you will also get it. There have been cases where the husband did get the virus but the partner and children did not.

And as for proximity :p my country is so small, every case is near me! One is 15 Miles, the other 70 Miles. The first one is at home and the results for her family will come in today. The daycare center of her younger child will close as the mother had visited recently. For the other case, they have localized the people who have been in close contact with the man, and they are monitored.

Our CDC doesn't worry about an outbreak as in Italy, because better preparation and they know patient 0.

where do you live?
i live in Israel, where they've also been trying to track each case that occurs (all returning travelers so far).
So far they have the diamond princess people in quarantine, including a few of them who tested positive.
And there's a man who returned from Italy at the beginning of the week and showed symptoms 4 days later.
In his case, they've tracked his movements during those 4 days and contacted everyone who was in contact with him. All who had been in contact with him were told to go into 14 day home quarantine.
Actually, there was the case of the 9 korean tourists who were diagnosed when they returned to korea.
Their travels here were completely tracked, and security cameras checked. Anyone who had been within a certain distance for a specified length of time was instructed to quarantine at home for 14 days. And they repeatedly announced over the news, multiple times throughout the day, every place that group had been to and instructed anyone who had been in contact with that group to go into home quarantine for 14 days.

I think there are just 3 or 4 confirmed cases here (still only travelers at this point). All of them are hospitalized in a special isolated installation that is on the property of the leading hospital in the country, but 2 kilometers away from any building. And with extreme quarantine conditions inside the facility.

I should add that the health ministry here now requires all travelers who return from a specified list of countries to stay in home quarantine for 14 days.
Italy was added to the list earlier this week.
The current list is china, hong kong, macau, singapore, thailand, south korea, japan, italy. Anyone returning from any of those countries must go into home quarantine for 14 days.

and one more thing, El Al, the national airline announced they're firing 1000 workers. They've had to discontinue flights and planes are now sitting idle. El Al has multiple non-stop flights each day to beijing, shanghai and hong kong. Having to discontinue all those flights hit the airline hard. Plus the reduction in travel to europe hasn't helped.
I just checked and they've also cancelled all flights to Italy and Thailand and have delayed the start of the new non-stop route to tokyo.
So that's a lot of discontinued routes. There was a picture the other day of a row of 787 Dreamliners parked idle at the airport. So sad.

Last edited:
You will have to do more than just read. Whip out your old-school calculator.

If you have 75,000 COVID-19 illnesses and 2,000 deaths, that's 2.7%. With 26 million seasonal flu illnesses and 14,000 deaths, you get 0.054% - which I'm sure a clever reporter can round up to 0.1%.
We don’t know how many people have the virus.

I have the Hawaii cruise booked in May and a Baltic cruise end of July. I am a Canadian and we aren’t banning any flights from anywhere at this time. My fear is that because we are the country without any travel bans, other countries are going to ban us. My PIF is in a month for Europe but I have bought all my flights. Very nervous about everything and nervous about going and getting sick in a foreign country. Also, I just can’t do any more planning or getting excited. It feels so frivolous when everything is so up in the air. Very anxious. I can’t talk about it in my other group because people only want to be excited, but I just so nervous....I can’t even do any more planning.

I have the Hawaii cruise booked in May and a Baltic cruise end of July. I am a Canadian and we aren’t banning any flights from anywhere at this time. My fear is that because we are the country without any travel bans, other countries are going to ban us. My PIF is in a month for Europe but I have bought all my flights. Very nervous about everything and nervous about going and getting sick in a foreign country. Also, I just can’t do any more planning or getting excited. It feels so frivolous when everything is so up in the air. Very anxious. I can’t talk about it in my other group because people only want to be excited, but I just so nervous....I can’t even do any more planning.
I’m Canadian too and have a similar worry but trying to do some things to minimize impact (travel wise and in our daily lives too) in case things go even worse. It’s nerve wrecking especially when people all around us are panicking. My husband showed me a video of people in Costco climbing shelves! News is that there are more cases now popping up where I am too. Everything seems to be changing everyday, every hour... it’s just best to prepare mentally and do what is within our control I guess.

I’m Canadian too and have a similar worry but trying to do some things to minimize impact (travel wise and in our daily lives too) in case things go even worse. It’s nerve wrecking especially when people all around us are panicking. My husband showed me a video of people in Costco climbing shelves! News is that there are more cases now popping up where I am too. Everything seems to be changing everyday, every hour... it’s just best to prepare mentally and do what is within our control I guess.
What are you doing?

Maybe in your situation it would be best to just cancel both cruises. You would still get the majority of the money back. Call the airlines about doing a change of itinerary or postponement. Maybe there is somewhere you could go closer to home. If not, just cut your losses and take the money you can get back. This stress on you isn’t worth it and actually could be detrimental to your health. It’s not as though you can’t take these trips in the future. Sorry for what you are going through.

Well, my husband keeps saying that, but I think I willwait. Things are changing so rapidly...

I'm on the May 23 Med out of Barcelona with 3 ports in Italy.... so it should be interesting to see what happens with that. I'm already paid in full and have flights, so unless the sailing cancels entirely I'm still going.

I assume if we sail we will likely have a different route. I'm also scheduled to go to Disneyland Paris immediately afterwards but I am not going to pay that in full until the deadline. I want to get as much information as I can regarding the cruise situation first. We have been planning the cruise for so long I really hope we still sail somewhere.

What are you doing?
For Costa Rica, I am waiting. I asked the tour operator (Tauck) and they have said things are going as scheduled last week. That can change at any time I feel. I registered with the government to show I am travelling there with my family with our specific dates in case anything happens. I also did buy travel insurance sometime last month. If worse comes to worst, I will cancel and just see what the tour can do for me. I got insurance so I think i might get 50-75% back. Gotta recheck that. Flights are a lost cause I feel. Also starting to pack since I want to be prepared with whatever we need if the trip goes as planned or not as planned. Have some extra meds, extra snacks, extra clothes Lol. You get what I mean.

we are also booked for a med cruise and Spain for a week and a half in July. As it stands, I can’t do anything about my cruise already because this was moved from last year after PIF (due to a medical emergency). if I lose money on that, I will just have to accept it. I do have a ABD short escape before where my PIF is next week. I am probably going to move that to another adventure. I rebooked everything on our own with things that are cancellable (hotel and tours). It’ll be interesting to see what happens in the upcoming months. I will do whatever I can think of now as a precaution and everything else I will decide once it’s that time. :) are you already already at a point where you can’t cancel?

There is a very good chance that Magic stays in North America for the summer.

Maybe cruise out of NYC - though nowhere is safe for cruise ships the way things are unfolding.

we are on the ebta in May, I fear they will cancel our cruise. I wouldn’t mind being rerouted in they choose to stay in North America, but I’d be heartbroken if they cancelled. I know, first world problem.

Every day changes so I just have to hang in there. I went to dinner and a music concert tonight and everyone was acting normally. I have to wait and see. It’s hard because part of the fun in travelling is the anticipation. That is pretty much ruined for me. Ah well. As someone said earlier, first world problem. It helps to chat with folks here and get their thoughts. Thank you.

I‘ll take
I‘ll talk with you on how nervous we are. We are on the Hawaii sailing too! 29april. And I am freaking out that we will not be allowed to travel

The practical steps I am taking
1. Handwashing - sing Happy Birthday twice when washing hands
2. Antibacterial wipes and hand sanitizers if hand washing facilities are not available
3. I am keeping a close watch on information DCL is sending to passengers booked on cruises in 2020.
4. I have checked my travel insurance policy and have made sure I have a travel disruption clause.
5. I have checked my travel insurance policy to see how much medical costs I am covered for.
6. As a European I also have separate medical insurance cover under the European Health Insurance Card scheme.

I also have a 14 day trip to California booked for the end of June. As of 1 March I am not cancelling that and I am continuing with my travel planning.

I will not cancel due to fear. The only reason I will not travel to California or on the cruise in September is if there are specific Government and WHO official travel advice to the specific destinations I am travelling to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter