ESTA Question...

cliveywolves

DIS Veteran
Quick one am I right in thinking as we don't have a current valid ESTA , if I apply for it today it will date from now for 2 years, so as we normally go end July / August I'll be better waiting till closer to our travel dates , ie for upcoming trips !!

Quick one am I right in thinking as we don't have a current valid ESTA , if I apply for it today it will date from now for 2 years, so as we normally go end July / August I'll be better waiting till closer to our travel dates , ie for upcoming trips !!

you are correct

your 2 years start on the day you submit your application.

Do it 2 weeks before departure to be on the safe side.

I would do it as soon as possible. I've heard of two people now whose ESTAs were turned down and they had to apply for a visa via the US Embassy in London. Two weeks prior to departure doesn't give you enough time. It's unlikely that your ESTA will be turned down but in the case of the two people I know neither got to go on their holiday.

Our ESTAs just expired and we got 3 trips out of them, this time we are waiting until the last minute so they are valid as long as possible.

It would be quite odd not to get ESTA approval if you meet all the criteria. If you don't then a visa can take up to six months to be approved so if there's any risk of it being rejected then the sooner you apply the better.

flortlebap said:
It would be quite odd not to get ESTA approval if you meet all the criteria. If you don't then a visa can take up to six months to be approved so if there's any risk of it being rejected then the sooner you apply the better.

There's a thread on the dibb at the moment where someone's wife was refused because as far as the US computers were concerned she didn't exit the USA last time, had consequently been classed as an overstay and now has to apply for a visa. I wouldn't risk it having read that as unlikely as it may be that it would happen to you

There's a thread on the dibb at the moment where someone's wife was refused because as far as the US computers were concerned she didn't exit the USA last time, had consequently been classed as an overstay and now has to apply for a visa. I wouldn't risk it having read that as unlikely as it may be that it would happen to you

That's terrible. I'm not sure how the computers thought she was in the UK applying for an ESTA if she allegedly never left though lol.

I still think it's incredibly unlikely that you will run into a problem though. She was obviously just very unlucky.

Thanks all... We've all had ESTA's before and never had any issues getting then online so it's not like it's our first time etc.
Like you say if it fails with 2 weeks to go you'd prob never get a visa issued from the embassy anyway in that time just for a holiday...

There have now been two cases of this happening recently - both departing out of Sanford airport - there was apparently an issue with the computers for a period of a few weeks. It is a known problem, but despite this, the wife in question mentioned by a pp has had to trek for a visa (and yes, it can take up to 6 months). It should be noted that said wife had actually had an ESTA before, it wasn't her first application as she'd travelled several times to the US.

The other case, well, unfortunately they lost their holiday and no-one would admit liability - travel insurance wouldn't cover them either apparently.

Yes, it's a very small minority when you think of how many people visit, but it's still a risk I'd rather not fall foul of.

We will need ESTAs and I intend to apply Jan 15 for trip Aug 15. Might even do it earlier, they are only something like $14 anyway. I'd rather know it's all sorted and tick it off my 'to do' list ;).

There have now been two cases of this happening recently - both departing out of Sanford airport - there was apparently an issue with the computers for a period of a few weeks. It is a known problem, but despite this, the wife in question mentioned by a pp has had to trek for a visa (and yes, it can take up to 6 months). It should be noted that said wife had actually had an ESTA before, it wasn't her first application as she'd travelled several times to the US.

The Husband has said that his wife has now had her ESTA decision revised and granted, so no need to apply for a visa. He said that he wants to be absolutely sure all is ok, and assuming it is, he will give a final update detailing how he secured a revision of the decision by phone.

If anyone wants to see whether the US records are showing them as exited or not, google i94 and check for yourself.

The Husband has said that his wife has now had her ESTA decision revised and granted, so no need to apply for a visa. He said that he wants to be absolutely sure all is ok, and assuming it is, he will give a final update detailing how he secured a revision of the decision by phone.

If anyone wants to see whether the US records are showing them as exited or not, google i94 and check for yourself.

I hadn't seen that update - last I saw she was off for the visa appointment as they had exhausted all other options. It has been one hell of a struggle to get it sorted though. No-one wants that stress - they were fortunate they went to renew ESTAs with sufficient time to sort out. Poor people - definitely deserve that holiday now!

As for the other couple, well, like I said, they did leave it too late and lost their holiday :(.

It happens very, very rarely but can happen, not worth taking the risk to leave it so late imo. WDW holidays cost £1,000s, an ESTA is $14 :confused3.

I hadn't seen that update - last I saw she was off for the visa appointment as they had exhausted all other options. It has been one hell of a struggle to get it sorted though. No-one wants that stress - they were fortunate they went to renew ESTAs with sufficient time to sort out. Poor people - definitely deserve that holiday now!

As for the other couple, well, like I said, they did leave it too late and lost their holiday :(.

It happens very, very rarely but can happen, not worth taking the risk to leave it so late imo. WDW holidays cost £1,000s, an ESTA is $14 :confused3.

I totally agree with you. The other family missed out on their holiday because the US records wrongly showed that the wife had overstayed on her last visit and refused to authorize her ESTA. The Customs and Border Protection also switched the husband and son's status to unauthorized and the family did not have enough time to sort it out. The family could not get a refund as no-one would take responsibility, so they lost everything.

After reading about this I applied for our ESTA'S in December even though our holiday is not until September. I thought it better to give myself enough time to sort things out if any of our ESTA'S were refused. Luckily for us they were all approved, but as you said, very rarely it can go wrong.

I totally agree with you. The other family missed out on their holiday because the US records wrongly showed that the wife had overstayed on her last visit and refused to authorize her ESTA. The Customs and Border Protection also switched the husband and son's status to unauthorized and the family did not have enough time to sort it out. The family could not get a refund as no-one would take responsibility, so they lost everything.

After reading about this I applied for our ESTA'S in December even though our holiday is not until September. I thought it better to give myself enough time to sort things out if any of our ESTA'S were refused. Luckily for us they were all approved, but as you said, very rarely it can go wrong.

Yes, I am actually thinking of applying this side of 2014. Just need to put it on my expanding to do list!! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter