• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

EPs for Thanksgiving weekend??

Tormania

DIS Veteran
This question seems like a no-brainer but I will ask anyway, is it highly recommended to have EPs if planning to visit Universal on Thanksgiving and the day after? We are looking to visit with friends in 2020 and none of us have been to Universal for 15+ years, so we want to ensure that our two days in the parks are as efficiently utilized as possible. Nightly rates for the premier properties are over $400/night (we are a family of 3, friends are bringing 7 people and need two rooms) so getting the built-in EPs is not necessarily cheap, but if needed it is much cheaper to go this route than staying someplace else. So just wanted to get some first-hand confirmation on how critical EPs are over that holiday period. Thanks!

It depends. Will you be happy with just riding a few rides?
I’d consider one of the cheaper onsites so you get early entry.
If you can’t swing them then make a must do list and be at the Gates, ready to go 30 minutes + beforehand opening. Ride those must dos ASAP. Eat an early lunch. Midday will be slammed line wise (and crowds- avoid Hogsmeade because it’s unbearable when crowded). Play areas like Camp Jurassic can work as well as shows if lines are too long. Use the app to see wait times.
Lines will get shorter for most things after 4.

If you haven't been in 15 yrs, you can consider you have never been.

Thanksgiving is going to be crowded. You can certainly do it without express pass, but it is going to be oh so much more enjoyable with.

You only need to stay in one of the top 3 hotels 1 night, and you will get two full days of express pass.

It can be a pain in the butt to move hotels several times, but it would be well worth it to get those express passes.

Get out your calculator and see if it would be beneficial for at least one person in each hotel room to have an annual pass. (tip, it will be) The annual pass is low cost and will get you about a 30% hotel rate discount. AP rate usually pops up at 90 days prior to arrival and are iimited and will go fast.

I would start with reg tickets and plan to upgrade after you find out the annual pass blackout dates. I don't think there will be blackout dates for your days, but the upgrade price will be the same as buying outright so there is nothing to lose. You will need to show the annual passes before you check out of the hotel to keep the AP rate.

Thanks for the info. And yes, I definitely realize that having not been in so long that it's like going for the first time. Back then I was completely unaware of resources like DISBoards but we also went in early May and it was NOT busy so we were able to do everything with no prior planning. Hard to fathom doing it like that now. :eek:

Thanks for the info. And yes, I definitely realize that having not been in so long that it's like going for the first time. Back then I was completely unaware of resources like DISBoards but we also went in early May and it was NOT busy so we were able to do everything with no prior planning. Hard to fathom doing it like that now. :eek:

Definitely not thanksgiving week.

Get the express passes. Yo will be so glad you did.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter