Epcot : Mission Space - Concerns about motion sickness

On our last trip we did both Green and Orange. I'm not typically prone to motion sickness and the green side was ok but I wasn't feeling super great after. The orange side however, I thought I was going to die. Orange made me realize how people die on rides...never again. If you are prone to motion sickness, I'd let your kids go alone.

Honestly to me Mission Space is the worst ride in all four parks. Its an insult to Horizons and future world. I wish they'd tear it down and build a space based dark ride with educational factor.

I’m not entirely sure what the ride actually is TBH. Is it a motion simulator that also rotates in a big circle like an astronauts centrifugal g-force training machine or something? If so, how fast does it actually spin?
I thought that I could stomach any ride out there until the morning of our first day in Universal Studios last week. But after riding lots of motion-simulators back-to-back, it knocked me really sick and feeling kind of ‘outer body’. (although I think that three coffees back-to-back before 8:00 that morning didn’t help either.lol)
If I can’t change our FP to before we have dinner, I think I may make your advice and swap it for something else altogether. We’ve got 6 & 8 year old girls, so I don’t want to ruin the rest of the day for them.

The orange side is a working centrifuge. I think thats the right term. Anyways, the platform is a circle with the different stations and it spins in circles to provide g-force. The green is set up the same but doesn’t rotate anymore. You rarely need a fp for the green side. The wait time on the app just shows the longest time, which is always orange, and doesn’t show the green time. You have to walk over there to find out.

Most people seem to be fine on green but others who rarely or never get motion sick from rides are affected even on the green side. I tried the green side for the first time in over ten years recently and I was lightheaded for about five hours. No other ride has ever made me lightheaded. I can do Star Tours back to back to back (short/no line/fp+) and be fine.

We’re doing Epcot today, and have got an ADR at Akershus for an early dinner, with a Mission Space FP straight after. After reading the comments on here, I’ve just tried changing the FP time to before dinner instead, but there’s no availability. How much spinning does the Orange side actually do?
Do not attempt right after eating. It spins enough that you can’t lift your head or body. Think if that carnival ride that the floor drops out from under you. It spins that fast, but you are seated. Thank goodness for the fan blowing in my face. That was the only thing that saved me.

The orange side is a working centrifuge. I think thats the right term. Anyways, the platform is a circle with the different stations and it spins in circles to provide g-force. The green is set up the same but doesn’t rotate anymore. You rarely need a fp for the green side. The wait time on the app just shows the longest time, which is always orange, and doesn’t show the green time. You have to walk over there to find out.

Most people seem to be fine on green but others who rarely or never get motion sick from rides are affected even on the green side. I tried the green side for the first time in over ten years recently and I was lightheaded for about five hours. No other ride has ever made me lightheaded. I can do Star Tours back to back to back (short/no line/fp+) and be fine.
Do not attempt right after eating. It spins enough that you can’t lift your head or body. Think if that carnival ride that the floor drops out from under you. It spins that fast, but you are seated. Thank goodness for the fan blowing in my face. That was the only thing that saved me.

Thanks for the info. I’ll keep trying to move the FP to before dinner, but ride the Green side instead if I can’t move it. Only problem is that they’re all gone for today, so I don’t hold much hope. I didn’t realise that the FP’s would be in such demand.
We’ve doing it again in a couple of days anyway, but for the mid-morning.

Cheers!

Like others have said, the green side is much less intense! I actually have never done the orange side, nor will I because I know it will make me sick! My DH took DS on it (at age 5) because he’s a daredevil and likes every other ride in the park. He HATED it and he was definitely feeling sick afterwards! He was even nervous to ride Rock n roller coaster for the first time the next day because he was worried it would make him puke! He ended up loving that though! Also, I’m not normally claustrophobic but I definitely was on mission space, even in the green side! I had to fight down a mild panic feeling, lol! I’m glad I tried it once but I’m not sure if I would bother going on it again!

This is my issue. I took my 4 year old on it and she was fine. It’s smoother than even Startours. And while it didn’t break down on me I was panicked it would. I can’t imagine being stuck in there. Gives me chills thinking about it from my couch.

Oh my gosh, yes. I will never go on it again. When we were in there and it didn't start, I told my DS "I'm going to count to 100. If it doesn't start by then I have to bang on the ride and get out". I felt bad because we were in there with two other guests whom we didn't know and I knew if I couldn't keep it together I would ruin the ride for them and everyone else in the other capsules. Thankfully it started and I was ok. It seems the claustrophobia started just a few years ago (I'm in my mid-40's). We got stuck on TT last year, right before the launch to the track outside and I almost lost it as I knew I couldn't release myself from the seatbelt. I also have issues on FOP if it doesn't start right away, but I keep telling myself I could get out of the restraints if I needed to. As long as rides start in a timely manner and I have something else, other than being restrained to focus on, I'm ok!

Is it the same line for both the Green and Orange versions? I’m just wondering whether to change the FP to something else altogether and just ride the Green in standby if the wait is short.

I hate it, but the green mission is fine. You barely move, and literally all you do is fly over different cities in the world.
It's almost lame.

Is it the same line for both the Green and Orange versions? I’m just wondering whether to change the FP to something else altogether and just ride the Green in standby if the wait is short.

They have completely separate lines that split right at the entrance.

Mission Space Green actually bothered me more than I thought it would...I think because the screen is so close to your face. I have no problem with Soarin, usually don’t get motion sick. Don’t even attempt Orange—my husband can’t do spinning but somehow thought Orange would be fine. It did not go well...

They have completely separate lines that split right at the entrance.
Thanks. If I can’t reschedule the FP to before dinner, we might just use the short Standby for the Green instead of wasting the FP. Can a FP be rescheduled once it’s 1hr window starts, or is it ‘locked-in’ as soon as it starts?

I rode it once and NEVER again (and I rode the green side!). Between the nausea and the claustrophobia it was awful. It’s a hard pass from me!

We rode it when it first opened. DH threw up in a trash can and I was dizzy for a few hours. I've ridden green once since and was very claustrophobic. The kids didn't like it either and I had to keep them calm. Skip it.

I’m more concerned about a heart attack than nausea! I can’t be the only one,...

I think multiple people with heart coniditons died after riding this. Wasn’t the most recent one a little boy whose parents didn’t know he had a heart condition? Those warnings need to be taken seriously. Nausea from riding is probably an everyday occurance though.

Yeah no it's on my do no fly list! Same went for Flight of Passage, it was really hard on my wife but I felt off too.

We rode it twice this evening less than an hour after eating at Akershus with no problems at all. First on the Green, and then with a FP on the Orange. Pickled Herring, Smoked Mackerel, Meatballs, Prawns and Norwegian Sausage, and then a trip into space set up the night quite nicely! lol

Thanks to all of you for responding. I'm glad that I'm not the only one here that is getting old ( yet young at heart :rolleyes1 ) and can't handle these type of rides anymore.

I can handle Star Tours without any issues, I can even ride most fast roller coasters ( like California Screamin and Expedition Everest while hoping that I don't black out with all those Gs ). But the Tea Cup Ride ( yeah, I'm not risking it ). Yeah, wierd....I know, right?

So if the GREEN side is no worse than either of those rides, then I think my Wife and I can handle that.

Is what you see and experience on the GREEN side that much different than what you see on the ORANGE side?

I'm wondering if the GREEN side explores just a few places ( as in, goes to Earth and the Moon ) but the ORANGE side goes to more places ( like the Earth, Moon, Mars, Alderaan, Endor, the Death Star, etc. ) or is the destination the same but the physical experience different ( cuz of the centrifuge and Gs ).

I'm wondering if I should have my 2 kids ( 11 and 15 ) go on ORANGE while my wife and I stick with GREEN or if all 4 of us should just stick together in GREEN.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter