Enthusiastic about Genie+ touring

But I could also ride all those rides, have times just like you posted, without spending that $200 a day. And I have. Never have bought park hoppers or eaten in a signature restaurant. In my $200/day I was including having to pay to ride FOP, like I mentioned, so a family of 4 would be 60/day for genie + and say 10/pp for FOP so $100 per day for a fam of 4. For what they could have done for FREE before.

you still can do it all for free. That hasn’t changed. Paying just gives you more flexibility. Far more flexibility than you ever got for “free.”

Whether or not G+ works for my group, and I'd imagine a lot of others as well, will hinge on availability. It's that simple for me.

If the majority of rides are available within an hour or 2 of me looking, cool. If everything is 5+ hours away or non-existent, then it's kind of worthless.

We've all seen arguments on which way it will go. I've seen good arguments either way. But you don't win a prize for guessing right, so if your opinion differs from someone else, calm down a bit. if you're right, no one cares. If you're wrong, no one cares.

I agree with this in theory and hope it works like this however we don't know how many LL passes will be allocated compared to how many FP's available for any given time. If they allocate the same as FP then it should work really well. I would hope they do that as they will want G+ to look like a great benefit in order to sell it widely but I'm also not holding my breath. I can't wait to play around with it to see what sort of availability there will be.

Part of the beauty.. if done correctly.. they can change the G+ allocation based on demand.

Since they are charging for it, they have extra incentive to make it work smoothly. They will have tons of complaints if people buy G+ but then can’t find any availability. So I expect them to increase allocation as necessary to keep it running smoothly.

Thank you for being obtuse.

The OP opened their statement with:
"I'm shocked at the negative feedback and backlash about the Genie+ announcement. Seems it's pure apprehension about change."​
That invited a discussion as to why there is backlash. It has nothing to do with apprehension about change and everything to do with how it affects the way people visit the parks on the future.

Fear about how it will affect the way people visit. Fear that there won’t be any G+ availability beyond 7am, fear of how it will work.

Most of the negativity draws on false conclusions as to how it will work.

If it leads to shorter lines, and more line skipping than you could ever get under FP+… I don’t see much reason to be negative.

Why are people against shorter lines and more line skipping?

Wow, you must have a TON of money to consider $200/day for say 5 days a "little money" Your world must be awfully nice. An extra $1000 on a vacation for things that were included before is a lot. And for what it's worth, it wasn't almost impossible to get FOP. And I have DVC, so I'm not staying offsite. I can afford the extra $, but to just casually act like that isn't a big deal to a LOT of people is ridiculously absurd.

Genie+ is $15 per day. Why would you buy FOP every dingle day of a trip?
so Genie+ for a family of 4, for 5 days is $300. Not $1,000. If you’re onsite, you can do all the pay attractions during morning Early Entry with low wait.

It was confirmed in TA training sessions recently. Once I find the post, I'll add the link. The OP was pretty emphatic about their certainty on that particular point.

Thank you to @mi*vida*loca who quoted the aforementioned post.

To quote @meremac
"According to the training session, offsite guests will not be able to make Genie+ or separate Lightning Lane reservations until they physically enter the park. Hypothetically then, an on-site guest could make their first MK Genie+ reservation at 7am, take advantage of early entry and get either SM or 7DMT then, get in line for the other, be ready to scan into their first Genie+ reservation (and make another) in the first hour of park opening...all before an offsite guest even scans into their first Genie+ reservation. That would be a HUGE advantage for on-site guests"​

Just to clarify. I can only speak to what I saw on the particular slide deck in that particular training. I don't know how this will ultimately play out and I do understand that there has been conflicting information from multiple sources, even directly from Disney! I think it's important that everything is taken with a grain of salt until final details are officially released.

No.. it’s an objective assessment. There is simply a lot of fear about change. When a calm objective assessment can see that this should be a huge improvement to the system for most people.
You have absolutely no idea why others don't like it. All you have is a bunch of assumptions.

There have been TONS of threads about the upcoming change. Lots of people have listed lots of (very valid) reasons why they don't like the new system. I haven't seen a single post saying they don't like it simply because they don't like change. For you to get to that conclusion, you would have to be a mind reader.

Are there some who are probably just afraid of change? Of course. But for you to lump everyone together and claim that's the main reason is just dismissing a pile of very valid concerns.

It would also help if Disney wouldn't be so coy with the details. They announce it and than vanish...like a fart in church. Just tell us exactly how it works, how much for the add on rides, which rides are included and which are add on etc etc. They create their own negative buzz and drama by not putting it all out there.

I love Disney parks but it's getting harder and harder to return and justify the expense, especially with so much of the entertainment gone, the fireworks show gone, the parades gone, and YeeHaw Bob gone. Almost all of the perks are gone too from the value and moderate resorts and I am priced out for the deluxes. I did not renew my AP, and not sure if I am going back to WDW ever at this point. I have been enough times that I have years of great memories. Disney execs have not only taken away the "magic" and "pixie dust" but it's simply not a value any longer. The product they currently offer is NOT worth my money. I was on the fence before, but this sealed the deal for me. I am sad because I grew up with Disney and Uncle Walt, but I will not support what Disney has become. $15 a day may not seem like much money and on it's own it isn't, but the costs are cumulative and in the end for a family of 4, 7 days will cost an extra $420 and that is significant. Even for a single party, they nickel and dime you until your wallet is empty. I do get it, this is a business and it's free enterprise, but that is not the way to get return guests, however, I don't think they really care about guest satisfaction and definitely not AP holders any longer. I do hope the new system works out for people. I detest being forced to carry my phone everywhere to do anything on property. I guess I am old school and remember when phones were attached to walls and I don't carry my phone with me everywhere, nor do I wish to. What do people who don't have smart phones do? It also sucks my battery down because the wifi at WDW is terrible. Ugh. Sooo over it. I love Disney, but...

No.. it’s an objective assessment. There is simply a lot of fear about change. When a calm objective assessment can see that this should be a huge improvement to the system for most people.
Lots of assumptions here. In your opinion you think you are making an objective assessment. I disagree and I think you are dismissing a lot of the mechanics. Perhaps G+ will work better for most guests, but it won't for everyone, including a lot of DVC and disboards members. You keep saying it will be shorter lines and more 'line skipping' but you don't really know that.

And let's face it, at this point it's all opinions. Ride availability is key and we cannot predict that. None of us can, unfortunately.

Part of the beauty.. if done correctly.. they can change the G+ allocation based on demand.

Since they are charging for it, they have extra incentive to make it work smoothly. They will have tons of complaints if people buy G+ but then can’t find any availability. So I expect them to increase allocation as necessary to keep it running smoothly.
My biggest disappointment is that top rides are not a part of G+. With the old system we could get FP's for rides such as FOP multiple times/day. Now our only option without paying an additional fee on top of G+ is standby.

You have absolutely no idea why others don't like it. All you have is a bunch of assumptions.

I’m not making assumptions as to why people don’t like it. The opposite — I’m responding to the reasons people are giving.

If I were to say, “I don’t want to eat broccoli because I’m a vegetarian and I hate meat!”

I would turn around and correct that person, “broccoli is a vegetable.”

thats’s what I’m doing here.

There have been TONS of threads about the upcoming change. Lots of people have listed lots of (very valid) reasons why they don't like the new system. I haven't seen a single post saying they don't like it simply because they don't like change. For you to get to that conclusion, you would have to be a mind reader.

People are widely misrepresenting how Genie+ will work. I see it as an expression of fear. It could just as easily be an expression of ignorance.

Are there some who are probably just afraid of change? Of course. But for you to lump everyone together and claim that's the main reason is just dismissing a pile of very valid concerns.

I stand corrected — it’s fear, or ignorance, or ignorance borne out of fear.

I’m not saying there aren’t legitimate objections. The most legitimate, “I don’t want to spend another penny, even if it is a vastly superior experience!”

That’s totally legitimate.. you don’t want to spend money.

It would also help if Disney wouldn't be so coy with the details. They announce it and than vanish...like a fart in church. Just tell us exactly how it works, how much for the add on rides, which rides are included and which are add on etc etc. They create their own negative buzz and drama by not putting it all out there.
That’s my biggest thing with this whole announcement. They HAD to have known that this would create so much buzz and confusion and, as we have seen, anger. The way they handled this and dropping this on everyone that just lead with more questions than answers and information was annoying.

I hope that works out for you.

Now do one for people who would prefer not to get up at the crack of dawn in order to get out the door for rope drop. FP+ was a much more acceptable option for those people, even offsite guests who had to wait until 30 days prior to their visit in order to book them. I'm not sure why you're shocked that people may not like this change.

Genie isn't going to be for everybody. actually I have seen a lot of freaking out about the cost regarding those thinking they will have to buy it every single day of their visit, even if they plan to go to the parks multiple times, because if they don't they will be riding NOTHING. And without knowing how it will actually work in practice, which can be found out unless you're going the day it debuts. EVERYONE is making assumptions about availability, because no one knows how it's going to work yet.

personally I would never buy for Epcot or AK at all unless I did so for one day of a one-time, once-in-a-lifetime trip. I'm going to continue getting to Epcot and AK when I feel like it. Yes I will have to stand in line. I've done it since after the covid closing. We all probably got used to skipping the lines and it's an entitlement now.

actually I'm sort of looking forward to taking a day to pay the Genie for MK or Studios and have a ride day. Yeah! Take a day to work the ever-loving crud out of the system, like the above poster said...

I have to agree that Genie beats the heck of of FP+ for offsite guests (yes what they are saying now is that G+ will be first open at 7 AM for everyone, regardless of their location, until it comes out as being otherwise from places other than a single poster). The big dealbreaker appears to be that there's a fee. I think some would definitely object to a fee of any amount.

Last edited:
My biggest disappointment is that top rides are not a part of G+. With the old system we could get FP's for rides such as FOP multiple times/day. Now our only option without paying an additional fee on top of G+ is standby.

Yes, I thought about that. I do wish every attraction was part of G+, single charge.

The problem is, those top attractions would crash the fluidity of G+.
Reminding me of the old days of paper FP — when most attractions were widely available through the day, but TSM was gone within an hour.
If ROTR and FOP were on G+, all the passes for the day would be gone by 7:05 am, leading to a whole different set of complaints. “I can’t ride the top attractions unless I get in my phone at 7am!”

So for a cost, this problem gets solved. Regulating supply/demand by dynamic pricing, you can let anyone line skip any time if day… for a cost.

I’m not making assumptions as to why people don’t like it. The opposite — I’m responding to the reasons people are giving.

If I were to say, “I don’t want to eat broccoli because I’m a vegetarian and I hate meat!”

I would turn around and correct that person, “broccoli is a vegetable.”

thats’s what I’m doing here.

People are widely misrepresenting how Genie+ will work. I see it as an expression of fear. It could just as easily be an expression of ignorance.

I stand corrected — it’s fear, or ignorance, or ignorance borne out of fear.

I’m not saying there aren’t legitimate objections. The most legitimate, “I don’t want to spend another penny, even if it is a vastly superior experience!”

That’s totally legitimate.. you don’t want to spend money.

Most of the complaints about Genie+ are related to price, since by and large, Disney is charging extra for things that used to be included. You don't seem to have a problem with it. Obviously you are allowed to have an opinion, as is everyone else. It seems weird to be "shocked" that people don't want to spend extra.

My opinion about your your initial touring plan here is that it's pretty unlikely to fully work the way you have outlined, but even if it did, it is just for a single person, which makes up a relatively small portion of people visiting Disney.

And for what it's worth, if someone doesn't like something because they have an opinion about it, you can't "correct" them with a factual statement about it. There doesn't seem to be that great of a misunderstanding about Genie+ on this board, and even if it were, suggesting that people are too scared or too dumb to understand it is pretty ridiculous.

Genie isn't going to be for everybody. actually I have seen a lot of freaking out about the cost regarding those thinking they will have to buy it every single day of their visit, even if they plan to go to the parks multiple times, because if they don't they will be riding NOTHING. And without knowing how it will actually work in practice, which can be found out unless you're going the day it debuts. EVERYONE is making assumptions about availability, because no one knows how it's going to work yet.

personally I would never buy for Epcot or AK at all unless I did so for one day of a one-time, once-in-a-lifetime trip. I'm going to continue getting to Epcot and AK when I feel like it. Yes I will have to stand in line. I've done it since after the covid closing. We all probably got used to skipping the lines and it's an entitlement now.

actually I'm sort of looking forward to taking a day to pay the Genie for MK or Studios and have a ride day.

I have to agree that Genie beats the heck of of FP+ for offsite guests (yes what they are saying now is that G+ will be first open at 7 AM for everyone, regardless of their location, until it comes out as being otherwise from places other than a single poster). The big dealbreaker appears to be that there's a fee. I think some would definitely object to a fee of any amount.

Agreed. Given there were rumors of much larger fees, including having to pay ala carte for EVERY experience. Or a $100-$300 pass like at Universal.... the $15 charge is really pretty nominal. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if Disney gradually increases this fee.. maybe even significantly.
But for now, it's a modest fee.

I think a lot of the objection is taking the form of, "why should I pay $15 for something I used to get for free" -- This argument is missing the likelihood that G+/LL is actually vastly superior to FP+.

Genie isn't going to be for everybody. actually I have seen a lot of freaking out about the cost regarding those thinking they will have to buy it every single day of their visit, even if they plan to go to the parks multiple times, because if they don't they will be riding NOTHING.

Where have you seen someone say that they think they'll have to buy Genie+ every day or won't be able to ride any rides? Can you link that comment/thread because while there is still confusion about the offerings (whether because Disney hasn't explained it or someone may not fully understand), it seems hard to believe that someone would think this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter