End of the lifetime soda mugs ?

thefatman

Is it dinner yet?
Just picked this up on the cruise forum about Disney stopping lifetime re-use of resort hotel soda mugs. They will now be length of stay only and controlled by bar codes.
Guess Disney are feeling the pinch again :D
SODA MUGS thread

Say it ain't so, Dave!!!!

Noticed they were usin the same 'today only' bar code technology at Blizzard Beach this year and figured it would soon be introduced around the resorts.

Great!! I haven't even had a chance to re-use mine:(

I think the biggest gripe with the new system (as fuelled by current rumours!) is the possible hold up in getting refills if the mugs have to be scanned before every use.

It will be interesting to hear how this works in practice once people return and can shed more light on it.

Hilary,

That is how they were doing it at Blizzard Beach last October.It wasn't manned and you had to queue then scan the mug for a drink from a machine.
There was a long queue for this all day in the hot sun.It got to the point where you couldn't be bothered to get a free refill! Hope that system won't cause these type of queues everywhere:(

Yet again Disney seem determined to remove everything that makes staying on site worth the extra expense!

I have no problem with purchasing a new mug for each trip because they are great value for money (and nice souvenirs) - especially if you are staying on site for 7 days or more. But I feel sorry for people who are only staying for a few days - (I think most Americans stay at WDW for shorter periods than us Brits due to them having fewer holidays).

Having to scan them (I assume at the tills) will be such a pain - especially during busier periods. It's not going to please the folks queuing to pay for meals either.

This is dissapointing news if it is true. I agree with Goofyish, I don't mind buying new mugs for every visit but it would be so annoying to have to scan everytime for a drink. If this causes too much hassle then I will think twice about staying onsite in the future. It may turn out to be no big deal so I will keep an open mind about it until we hear some reports back.

Dave

If I remmember rightly, at Blizzard Beach, the scanner is at the machine. You present the barcode to the scanner which accepts it and then dispenses the drink. I guess that is how it will work at the food courts?

We are now the proud owner of 6 mugs, 3 Dixie Landings and 3 Coronado Springs!! Dh uses them for his morning coffee on his way to work!!

I must say that the food court set up at Coronado Springs made refilling much more fiddly, and you have to get a "Refill only" pass to get let in (we did walk past the queues waiting to be seated) and then sort of wangle past the till queues to hand the pass back in once the refills were done. hoping that the glares would subside when people realised you weren't "jumping line".

The mug areas get crowded, it would be a shame to do away with one of the "nice touches" and make it even more congested.

At Blizzard Beach, we didn't notice any lines for refillling your mugs - you just scanned it at the soda machine and it dispensed it straightaway - the line moved pretty quickly. Only delays were when Katie insisted on scanning it herself...

Bev

Currently at WL and have got our mugs. NO BARCODES and NO MENTION of it coming in as yet. Will ask staff though as knowing Disney it will be introduced without warning.
Claire :D
PS Weather is not too good had four hours of rain and temps of 72 today!!!!!!! :mad:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter