End of January or Week Before Christmas?

Chumpson

Mouseketeer
I am looking at both these dates for a trip to DL. Specific dates...

December 18-22 or January 26-30

What I know...

January will be less crowded, cheaper.

What I don't know....

How much less crowded? How much worse weather possibilities? Christmas decor?

So, if you had the option of the two times, which would you choose and why? pirate:

I would expect Jan. would be much less crowded. But it looks like you are planning mid week in Dec. and more weekend days in Jan. so perhaps the difference shouldn't be that incredible. Schools start getting out around the 16th of Dec., and ever day closer to Christmas gets more and more crowded. But that also means Jan. will have shorter hours, fewer shows, and more closures. And the Christmas festivities are really nice.

It is likely to be wetter in January. I often go the week before Christmas, and generally have had pretty good luck with weather. But you never can tell. I went the first couple of days of Feb. only once, and the weather was great.

Yeah, I have to plan around a weekend for school days, but during break I could go during the week. We went in May and loved the crowd levels mid week. I am thinking that crowds and money would make this one an easy choice for January. Where am I wrong? Or am I right?

December:
decorations
longer hours
most/all attractions open
probably daily parades and fireworks
much larger crowds

January:
no special decorations
short hours
some attractions down due to refurbishments
low crowds
only weekend parades/fireworks

The weather for both can be great or bad.

For me January wins hands down. We went then in 2005. The crowds were fabulously low,and that's all we really care about. While some rides were down, they weren't any that my very young children cared about. The short hours didn't bother us for the same reasons.

But, if you want the extra activities that busier times afford, December would be the better choice. Just be prepared for a MUCH more crowded park.
(We went the Dec. 12, 2005, and it was VERY crowded. I'm sure that by the 18th, most kids will be out of school in DL!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter