Employment for retirees at WDW?

What is sales in this case? Store sales, ticket sales, or??

And where are you working these days? (Retired spouse is seriously thinking about applying for something in the stores.)
They renamed some roles, sales is what use to be merchandise, stores. I’m in Epcot, inside, dry, warm in the winter, cool in the summer. lol.
I haven’t looked in a long time if it shows up in the public help wanted listings.
I transferred from another location into that role which I picked locations I would want to work at. I was in sales for 40 years so it’s like I’m back home. lol.
WDW runs an ad on a local radio station, yes I listen to the radio in the car, I’m old. lol. They say to call casting for full and part time opportunities.
I love it! I have been treated with nothing but fairness and respect since day one through the entire process and into three different roles.
Your not going to get rich but you make a lot more an hour then working at a Lowe’s or a Target etc. and the discounts are pretty good.

is there a way to work for Disney part time and take part of the year off? for example, take one or two months off at some part of the year (not holidays, but say, May- June) and you could make up the missed days throughout the year? or would you have to quit and get rehired again?

is there a way to work for Disney part time and take part of the year off? for example, take one or two months off at some part of the year (not holidays, but say, May- June) and you could make up the missed days throughout the year? or would you have to quit and get rehired again?
Not sure how it works now but back in 2007 we had a guy that would work weekends for a few months then we would not see him for a few months. This was also a job that was not covered by a union contract.
Not all jobs are covered by a union contract and those that are, joining the union was optional or at least it was back when I worked for Disney in Florida.

Disney also used to have seasonal cast members. If I remember correctly they would work part of the year then would leave the company. They were put on a re hire list so when they came back, if they did, they were re hired right away. Not sure if they had to go through Traditions Training over again and I am not sure if they got a job similar to the one the left.
Once again all of this was many years ago and things may have changed since then.

You’d most like have to do part time and then try to pick up shifts when you’re there and give them away when you’re gone. If you can’t give them away then you get points and if you get too many points then you can get fired.

What Douglas said. Also, and it all depends what you do, after so long you lose your proficiencies in your role. Most are 30 days, some are 90, when I was in safety critical, you had to work once every 30 days. Again, all locations are different. Had someone out with a health reason for over 30 days, they had to get retrained. Believe it or not, each location runs a little differently.
But, as a rule of thumb, no. They use to have seasonal cms. Where you only had to work so many hours a year but I don’t think they brought that back. I’ve never worked with anyone seasonal.

Anyone know if the non-Disney companies on site (like restaurants and stores at DS) offer Disney benefits to their employees - i.e. free annual passes, free friend passes, employee discounts, employee exclusive pin shopping, that kind of stuff?

Anyone know if the non-Disney companies on site (like restaurants and stores at DS) offer Disney benefits to their employees - i.e. free annual passes, free friend passes, employee discounts, employee exclusive pin shopping, that kind of stuff?
It depends on the contract the third party vendor has with Disney.

Does anyone have any helpful hints on how you would write a resume for a basic retirement job at WDW (something like a cashier in a store) if all your prior experience was in an office (some accounting and admin assistant work)? Other than stressing the customer service and technology aspects of your career, not sure how to keep it relevant to that kind of job.

Does anyone have any helpful hints on how you would write a resume for a basic retirement job at WDW (something like a cashier in a store) if all your prior experience was in an office (some accounting and admin assistant work)? Other than stressing the customer service and technology aspects of your career, not sure how to keep it relevant to that kind of job.
No, you're right. People hate hearing it (as it requires a lot of work), but write the resume (and cover letter) for the job you want. For instance, if you're applying for a cashier position, you should choose to highlight the aspects of your accounting and admin jobs that are relatable to sales/merch (accounting/working quickly with numbers, tech skills, maybe as an admin you had to deal with a lot of problems which required creative problem solving, you may have had to deal with a lot of emergent situations, you may have had to de-escalate issues, you may have worked with many different people every day, your job required excellent communication skills, etc).

Make sure you use keywords you think will ping the ATS (applicant tracking system) and put you near the front of the competition (we often include these words in the actual job description. In fact, depending on the ATS, it pulls from this automatically).

Try to keep it short and sweet. You may even want to include (above the bullet points) "Relevant experience includes:" This little sentence shows us a lot. You not only have clearly made this resume for this job specifically (read: you care about the job enough to write this resume just for this job), it also shows you're not giving us a laundry list of everything you did, you're giving us a succinct list of what is relevant to the job we're hiring you for. You're not wasting our time with irrelevant info. We like you already, lol (it also shows you can distill and communicate only the important info, and that you can certainly get a point across succinctly and clearly - a huge plus in a sometimes busy, high customer volume job).

Oh, also, have different resumes for the different jobs you are seeking to maximize the above. Lastly, before anyone asks, no I don't work for Disney, lol. I DO work in HR/People Operations, so yeah, I do this for a living. Good luck!

No, you're right. People hate hearing it (as it requires a lot of work), but write the resume (and cover letter) for the job you want. For instance, if you're applying for a cashier position, you should choose to highlight the aspects of your accounting and admin jobs that are relatable to sales/merch (accounting/working quickly with numbers, tech skills, maybe as an admin you had to deal with a lot of problems which required creative problem solving, you may have had to deal with a lot of emergent situations, you may have had to de-escalate issues, you may have worked with many different people every day, your job required excellent communication skills, etc).

Make sure you use keywords you think will ping the ATS (applicant tracking system) and put you near the front of the competition (we often include these words in the actual job description. In fact, depending on the ATS, it pulls from this automatically).

Try to keep it short and sweet. You may even want to include (above the bullet points) "Relevant experience includes:" This little sentence shows us a lot. You not only have clearly made this resume for this job specifically (read: you care about the job enough to write this resume just for this job), it also shows you're not giving us a laundry list of everything you did, you're giving us a succinct list of what is relevant to the job we're hiring you for. You're not wasting our time with irrelevant info. We like you already, lol (it also shows you can distill and communicate only the important info, and that you can certainly get a point across succinctly and clearly - a huge plus in a sometimes busy, high customer volume job).

Oh, also, have different resumes for the different jobs you are seeking to maximize the above. Lastly, before anyone asks, no I don't work for Disney, lol. I DO work in HR/People Operations, so yeah, I do this for a living. Good luck!
Fantastic info! Much appreciated. Thanks!!

To look at available jobs at Walt Disney World you should visit this website. Once there you used to be able to create an account to be able to apply for jobs. One thing I learned years ago, when you meet with the interview person you may be offered a different job than you applied for.

The first web site I posted looked like it only gave professional jobs at Walt Disney World. This web site should give you a better ability to be able to search all jobs types across the Walt Disney Company.

https://jobs.disneycareers.com/

Last edited:
To look at available jobs at Walt Disney World you should visit this website. Once there you used to be able to create an account to be able to apply for jobs. One thing I learned years ago, when you meet with the interview person you may be offered a different job than you applied for.

The first web site I posted looked like it only gave professional jobs at Walt Disney World. This web site should give you a better ability to be able to search all jobs types across the Walt Disney Company.

https://jobs.disneycareers.com/
Thanks! We have been watching that site. Very little is ever posted for front line WDW jobs in the months we have been checking it.

Others have told us that you can create an account first but I don't see any way to create an account without selecting a job first. Do you see any way to do it?

I wouldn't worry about a resume all that much, especially if you are interested in a front line entry level job. They will train you. If it were a professional or technical position, then a resume would be more necessary. From a former CM and a current HR director. Good luck!

Thanks! We have been watching that site. Very little is ever posted for front line WDW jobs in the months we have been checking it.

Others have told us that you can create an account first but I don't see any way to create an account without selecting a job first. Do you see any way to do it?
There used to be a way to sign into your account however I am not seeing it.
The other thing you could try is give casting a call.
I know during certain times of the year Disney will run commercials on TV advertising job fairs and if my memory is correct they may have a number you can call to get information.

Try googling "Walt Disney world casting phone number" and see what comes up.

I was really looking forward to splitting atoms at the top secret nuclear power station on WDW property. But noooooo.... my dreams have been crushed as that option has been removed from the table.
You could always become a WDW coner instead ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter