Employment for retirees at WDW?

PrestonatorSR

Mouseketeer
Hello

I apologize in advance if this is the wrong thread (which it probably is?), but didn't know where else to post. My wife and I are nearing retirement age and we have this (perhaps naive) dream of working at WDW. Can anyone speak to how difficult and/or desirable that actually is. Just looking for a little extra cash and a chance to stay close to the world that has meant so much to our family for a long time. Thanks for any help on this topic, including redirecting me to the appropriate forum, if there is one.

Disney hires a lot of retirees. I'm guessing you are looking for an entry level job. There is a website but unfortunately I don't recall what it is. I'm sure somebody will post it.

I have lived your dream.

I retired from a long engineering career at age 60 and on the very next day I went to Disney casting and was hired on the spot for a bus driver position. After a long training period I was driving a WDW bus. I enjoyed it but I wanted a change so after six years I transferred into Park Event Operations, talk about a fun job. I retired from Disney three years ago when I became fully vested.

Thoughts :
You are going to see how the sausage is made. Be prepared to see the dark side of Disney.
Plenty of jobs.
Low pay, hot days, long nights.
Part time sometime is easier.
Probably different hours from each other.
You will loss weight .

I know retirees who have worked for Disney at WDW.

You turn your life over to them so they can schedule you whenever/wherever they want to.

Since there are two of you, the hopes of synching up schedules is difficult.

Prepare to work every holiday and busy period even at odd hours of the day/night.

You do get benefits like discounts, good hourly pay, and CM passes into the parks during the non-busy times (and allowed to bring guests at times).

If you're okay with the tradeoff, go sign up. Me, I like having control of the schedule for my day-to-day retirement life. I'll visit WDW on my terms and not theirs.

Bama Ed

I thought about it, not for the perks, but I figured getting on as a boat captain might be fun. (Not the Jungle Cruise boats). My wife informed me that I would last one day before I quit. Not because of the job, but because I couldn't handle the commute up and back on I-4 every day I worked. She is correct as usual.

@bama_ed
Ed, I admit I do a lot of stuff for comic relief. I think the above post is entertaining. Two things can be true at once and the other is that the above is also a true conversation we had.
I also stand by the "She is correct as usual" statement.

Over the years I've talked with many CMs in the parks who were retirees working at WDW. They all said that yes, it's easy to get employment. The one tip I'll always remember is that if you get a job in the parks, and since CMs jobs there don't end until 2 hours after park closing (people still in attraction lines, still eating, etc.), request Animal Kingdom because that closes earliest! Otherwise you'll be on the road on or after midnight.

Granted this was from 15yrs ago now, but when I worked as a CP I met a couple that worked in a random shop at Hollywood Studios together as retirees. They retired, lived in an RV, Disney let them work the same shifts at the same store so they could carpool in etc. They really seemed to enjoy it.

@bama_ed
Ed, I admit I do a lot of stuff for comic relief. I think the above post is entertaining. Two things can be true at once and the other is that the above is also a true conversation we had.
I also stand by the "She is correct as usual" statement.
Nice! Love the mentoring comments. My standby line is “yes dear”. Trick is to vary the tone of voice for sincere compliance or snarky agreement.

Well with the recent announcement from Disney that they will not fight the RCID changes, my last hope of working at WDW has gone up in smoke!!

First as a former Navy Submariner, Plan A went poof when they got rid of the subs in the MK. I at least had Plan B to fall back onto. Or so I thought!

With 38 years of nuclear power operations (8 Navy, 30 civilian power), I was really looking forward to splitting atoms at the top secret nuclear power station on WDW property. But noooooo.... my dreams have been crushed as that option has been removed from the table.

So I guess I'll just stay retired (8+ years now) and keep sleeping in and doing what ever I want. 🤫

I thought about it, not for the perks, but I figured getting on as a boat captain might be fun.
I've often said, that's the sweetheart gig for retirees at WDW. It might still suck, but it looks pretty attractive. I particularly would enjoy the boats from the Boardwalk area to Epcot and Studios.

Being a new hire you may be able to pick the job you want based on availability but thats about it. You will work where Disney wants you to work, when they want you to work, and what days off they will give you. Nights, weekends, holidays Disney is a 24 hour a day 7 day a week operation just be prepared for it.

You can request that you work in the same area with your wife and be on the same schedule and casting may tell you no problem but there are no guarantees. If you are able to work in the same location you will be at the mercy of the people who make up the schedule.

Castings job is to fill jobs and they may offer you something completely different that you applied for that was not listed on the web site.

With all that said if you want to go for it, go for it. The worst thing that can happen after time if you do not like the area you are in you can always request a transfer to another department or just leave the company.

I guess the big question is do you live in central Florida or would you move to work for Disney?

Many people only sign up to work a events, like food and wine, flower and garden or for a season, like Christmas. If you work for events, you don’t need to be there all year or in the hot summer. You can try it for a season and see if it suits you.

The main issue anymore is lodging. Some haul a 5th wheel and use it for cheaper lodging. Nearby lodging Is expensive and hard to come by.

I will be65 in May.
Does Disney hire people that old?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter