Emotions Running High

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think I can continue with the boards or podcast. I feel it's all damage limitation and this brand can never be trusted again.

Power I think has been abused and I really dislike how people withing dreams have turned statements into attacks on them. This is about the people abused. Not petty attacks.

The boards don't feel open and forward in the slightest with the closure of the discussion by Corey. That I believe was to stop Google picking up on the thread.

The dis is dead to me and I will be looking elsewhere to get a Disney fix that may be a little bit more wild but hopefully won't abuse its position.

It goes against everything that Disney stands for,

The saddest aspect of this whole story is how Werner ruined so much of what was joyful about Disney.
I think that you need to divorce “Disney values” and “Disney joy” from all of this. This has nothing to do with Disney. “What Disney stands for” is not the guidepost for human behavior, especially when we are discussing sexual assault. And Werner did far more than ruin the joy of Disney. His conduct goes far beyond that. I seriously doubt that the people he assaulted and bullied sit around thinking about how the worst thing that happened to them was a loss of joy for Disney. Don’t mean to be harsh because your post was wonderful. We just need to be mindful that Disney and its values have nothing to do with this situation.

I think that you need to divorce “Disney values” and “Disney joy” from all of this. This has nothing to do with Disney. “What Disney stands for” is not the guidepost for human behavior, especially when we are discussing sexual assault. And Werner did far more than ruin the joy of Disney. His conduct goes far beyond that. I seriously doubt that the people he assaulted and bullied sit around thinking about how the worst thing that happened to them was a loss of joy for Disney. Don’t mean to be harsh because your post was wonderful. We just need to be mindful that Disney and its values have nothing to do with this situation.

Well, I guess everyone has to tackle this whoever it works best for them. I will say this, I've never seen this crew as a "wholesome bunch". Anyone who has listened to the Tuesday show over years knows that there was often sexual innuendo flying around, and looking back at that....it was pretty inappropriate at times from a workplace standpoint.

It's one thing if peers joke around in that way I suppose, but their employer was right in the thick of it, often the one who started it. Many times someone would then say...."save it for the patreon after show".....so I'm sure things got even more "adult" in there. I'm not a patron. It's really inappropriate for a boss to be having conversations like that with his employees.

I heard the California show and heard Ryno make a joke about it being ok to accept a drink from people at the party because even those strangers were safe...so to speak. This is right after his old employee talked about getting drugged and raped, by his old boss. I don't think he was thinking about it in that way. He seems like a really good guy. But I think they should dial that back a bit, especially on the main feed. I think it's smart to take time to bring back the Tuesday show, if they ever do....it's takes time to reboot such a toxic workplace. Sometimes you need time to look back and say...."yeah, that was insane".

I heard the California show and heard Ryno make a joke about it being ok to accept a drink from people at the party because even those strangers were safe...so to speak. This is right after his old employee talked about getting drugged and raped, by his old boss. I don't think he was thinking about it in that way. He seems like a really good guy. But I think they should dial that back a bit, especially on the main feed. I think it's smart to take time to bring back the Tuesday show, if they ever do....it's takes time to reboot such a toxic workplace. Sometimes you need time to look back and say...."yeah, that was insane".
Yes, but some of us saw it real time, realized it was insane, and walked away from the Podcast, because we could.

Sayhello

A threatening dark fury tyrannical abusive controlling addict is a dry drunk even in recovery. This level of constant physical and emotional assault as a condition of employment is unlawful in the workplace. Every employee has my absolute sincere heartfelt respect and support.
As for "the brand", it has now taken its own identity and will forever be associated with this monster who will NEVER IMPLICITLY LEAVE HIS EMPIRE. Time to move out - rename regroup recover and reestablish yourselves as completely independent of every one of these sinking ships.
Where you go.....we will follow.

Hey folks…

Having open discussion on these boards does not include insulting each other. Making your points is fine. Include insults and your posts will be deleted with warnings so you know why. Please be civil to each other.

You sent me a DM that I cannot reply to. I don’t think that’s fair at all. It’s the same issue that has plagued these forums for years.

Fair enough. I unlocked the DM sent with the warning I gave you for posting only to attack another member. It is unlocked for your response.

By the way I didn’t post “only to attack another member.” When you delete my post and then say this, it is a bad look. I merely stated the truth about a rant in this thread. I never called that person any names. I didn’t attack them. I criticized the POST.

By the way I didn’t post “only to attack another member.” When you delete my post and then say this, it is a bad look. I merely stated the truth about a rant in this thread. I never called that person any names. I didn’t attack them. I criticized the POST.
I disagree with your assessment. You only posted to criticize. Maybe argumentative instead of attack then. The point is to please be civil, even when disagreeing with the other poster.

This IMO is a prime example of things that need to improve. There needs to be dialogue and explanation between webmasters (and mods) and the action they take. I was held accountable by webmasters but it never seemed webmasters were ever held accountable. Locking PMs so they can’t be responded to is uncalled for. Transparency in this day and age is everything. One of my concerns upon my departure was communication. People wouldn’t be so upset if there was communication. As a mod I couldn’t even get answers from webmasters half the time.

We define consent based on what it is, instead of what it's not. Consent is an enthusiastic and ongoing "YES!" Consent must be given freely, without coercion, intimidation, or threats. Consent to one sexual act does not mean consent to other sexual acts. Consent to past sexual activity does not mean consent to future sexual activity. Consent can be withdrawn at any time, even midway through a sexual act. And Some people are incapable of giving consent like children, people who are unconscious or incapacitated by drugs and alcohol.
Someone responded to this to say that if this is what consent means, they'd never be having sex (it's been deleted - it would be ideal if the moderators, etc might find ways to correct people's behavior without deleting things outright as it's a form of gaslighting). There are whole threads where people's comments are non-sensical because they respond to something that arose and moderators go in and stealth delete what they want.

But here, someone dismissed consent - after days of conversations about sexual assault and abuse (and previous statements dismissing the people who've shared their personal stories about abuse in this community). But the moderator deleted it without addressing in this thread why such a callous statement is problematic (I guess the alternative is that the moderator(s) feel that sort of statement is appropriate). I acknowledge saying that I thought the poster seemed sad and unfunny; obviously my saying that was an inappropriate form of attacking the poster. Still, this deleting stuff and not acknowledging what prompts certain issues is part of the problem. These message boards have had multiple comments over the years that are racist, homophobic, and/or mocking the idea of consent in the face of sexual assault - and so very often, the moderators punish the people who speak up about those posts (I've seen the original posts left up and other posts saying those are inappropriate deleted).

I was asked, "What the heck?" (but the DM was locked so I couldn't answer, which is part of the power play involved that is very frustrating to so many of us). I guess my response is, "The heck is that someone has consistently derided the stories of people who've shared being abused by a key figure in this board/travel company and then made a very clear and disgusting dismissal about something as fundamental as consent." The sort of "joke" (or real comment - it's unclear) is physically revolting, especially to people (like myself) who have had their consent violated.

I would think the "what the heck?" might be better used towards people who are dismissive or joke about sexual assault and consent. Allowing those sorts of comments to stand unchallenged is the same sort of thing that allows abusive behavior to happen and continue. Being dismissive and rude in a DM and then locking it so no one can respond is problematic, as well. So many people keep wondering can this community work differently (better) but then things like this expose that it's not about any single person's preferences to make inappropriate comments and punish people (as some moderators do) but about a system that is fundamentally setup to reinforce certain values (deference to power) over things like people having a say or being able to disagree.

And again, I acknowledge that my post (which I won't repeat since it was deleted and I received punishment) was too majorly personally attacking @GAN. I'm more than willing to acknowledge my faults and I wish that others would able to do the same.

Hey folks…

Having open discussion on these boards does not include insulting each other. Making your points is fine. Include insults and your posts will be deleted with warnings so you know why. Please be civil to each other.

I disagree with your assessment. You only posted to criticize. Maybe argumentative instead of attack then. The point is to please be civil, even when disagreeing with the other poster.

I am seeking clarity on this. Argumentative, insulting, uncivil, etc. is most definitely against guidelines and should be. However, does this not apply to webmasters? There are several posts in the podcast cruise thread that fall under these infractions and should therefore be deleted.

This IMO is a prime example of things that need to improve. There needs to be dialogue and explanation between webmasters (and mods) and the action they take. I was held accountable by webmasters but it never seemed webmasters were ever held accountable. Locking PMs so they can’t be responded to is uncalled for. Transparency in this day and age is everything. One of my concerns upon my departure was communication. People wouldn’t be so upset if there was communication. As a mod I couldn’t even get answers from webmasters half the time.

100%. I’ve had posts deleted within the past week. None went against posting guidelines. I received a notification about one of them; I did not for the others.

Earlier today, I sent a note via the report button as a FYI (and even wrote that). I was concerned that something another person wrote could be misconstrued. The response I received does not allow me to reply; I think the WM doesn’t understand why I sent the report in. I was trying to help but oh well. 🤷🏻‍♀️

9807E615-73A9-44BE-971C-A336E701A33C.jpeg

Communication is key. Rules should apply to everyone. That’s not happening.

I am seeking clarity on this. Argumentative, insulting, uncivil, etc. is most definitely against guidelines and should be. However, does this not apply to webmasters? There are several posts in the podcast cruise thread that fall under these infractions and should therefore be deleted.

100%. I’ve had posts deleted within the past week. None went against posting guidelines. I received a notification about one of them; I did not for the others.

Earlier today, I sent a note via the report button as a FYI (and even wrote that). I was concerned that something another person wrote could be misconstrued. The response I received does not allow me to reply; I think the WM doesn’t understand why I sent the report in. I was trying to help but oh well. 🤷🏻‍♀️

View attachment 785005

What is the "should I delete all the posts that some object to so more people can criticize us?" comment? Is that a response from the mod to your report?

Someone responded to this to say that if this is what consent means, they'd never be having sex (it's been deleted - it would be ideal if the moderators, etc might find ways to correct people's behavior without deleting things outright as it's a form of gaslighting). There are whole threads where people's comments are non-sensical because they respond to something that arose and moderators go in and stealth delete what they want.

But here, someone dismissed consent - after days of conversations about sexual assault and abuse (and previous statements dismissing the people who've shared their personal stories about abuse in this community). But the moderator deleted it without addressing in this thread why such a callous statement is problematic (I guess the alternative is that the moderator(s) feel that sort of statement is appropriate). I acknowledge saying that I thought the poster seemed sad and unfunny; obviously my saying that was an inappropriate form of attacking the poster. Still, this deleting stuff and not acknowledging what prompts certain issues is part of the problem. These message boards have had multiple comments over the years that are racist, homophobic, and/or mocking the idea of consent in the face of sexual assault - and so very often, the moderators punish the people who speak up about those posts (I've seen the original posts left up and other posts saying those are inappropriate deleted).

I was asked, "What the heck?" (but the DM was locked so I couldn't answer, which is part of the power play involved that is very frustrating to so many of us). I guess my response is, "The heck is that someone has consistently derided the stories of people who've shared being abused by a key figure in this board/travel company and then made a very clear and disgusting dismissal about something as fundamental as consent." The sort of "joke" (or real comment - it's unclear) is physically revolting, especially to people (like myself) who have had their consent violated.

I would think the "what the heck?" might be better used towards people who are dismissive or joke about sexual assault and consent. Allowing those sorts of comments to stand unchallenged is the same sort of thing that allows abusive behavior to happen and continue. Being dismissive and rude in a DM and then locking it so no one can respond is problematic, as well. So many people keep wondering can this community work differently (better) but then things like this expose that it's not about any single person's preferences to make inappropriate comments and punish people (as some moderators do) but about a system that is fundamentally setup to reinforce certain values (deference to power) over things like people having a say or being able to disagree.

And again, I acknowledge that my post (which I won't repeat since it was deleted and I received punishment) was too majorly personally attacking @GAN. I'm more than willing to acknowledge my faults and I wish that others would able to do the same.
Rather than risking penalty just respond in a DM…. I can’t deny having a little fun with the other post. The thread has been understandably heavy, but the sky isn’t falling. Apologies if you didn’t appreciate my lighter tone.

Wow.

I have empathy for trying to moderate a group like this board, truly I do. I run a much smaller group for a local non profit, and it can be quite challenging to moderate at times (esp with the current climate), so I can imagine how difficult it can be at the scale of the DIS.

That said - I hope whoever made that statement can perhaps take a breath and step back for a minute here. While there has been a lot of pointed commentary about specific mods (really, 2 specific mods - 1 of which isn't here any more and the other which made offensive comments that needed to be called out), the overall commentary hasn't been about specific moderators but rather systemic practices. I don't know who created the systemic practices, but I doubt it was the mods themselves, given the reports of the "audience of 1" POV of the owner of the disboards.

I am sure it's hard not to take it personally, but if the conversations Corey mentioned about changes coming here are going to happen, there's going to need to be these conversations and I hope constructive criticism about systemic issues can be separated from personal criticism.

View attachment 785005

Does it let you know who sent DM? Curious what mod/WM sent that tone deaf message

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter