• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Emotional Support Peacock denied boarding a United Flight

Well, I was just being a bit tongue-in-cheek, & I'm obviously not an expert.

And I don't know for sure, &, as I said, I haven't done any research on which generation(s) is/are more likely to use emotional support animals.

However, when considering the general & overall personality characteristics that, again, generally and typically define the different generations, as a whole, I think Generation X would be the least likely to try to board an airplane w/ an emotional support peacock - there are exceptions, I'm sure!

Gen-Xers are a smaller generation & sandwiched between 2 larger society-defining generations: the Baby Boomers & the Millennials.
Either way you look at it that's still going off of stereotypes which was the point of my original post.

Either way you look at it that's still going off of stereotypes which was the point of my original post.

Right, but stereotypes don't just become stereotypes on their own.

I totally get what you're saying, though, & it's not cool to stereotype.

And I wasn't trying to be serious because, again, I think the whole idea of trying to bring a peacock onto an airplane is ridiculous & funny.

Someone mentioned generations, & I commented, out of all the generations, Generation X would be the least likely to try & bring an emotional support peacock on an airplane - and I based it solely on generational characteristics. I could be totally wrong.

Again, the owner of the emotional support peacock could be a Gen-Xer. LOL!

And, just an aside (I have no research to back this up), I'm going to go out on a limb & say that, out of all the generations, people from Generation X would be the LEAST likely to try to board an airplane w/ an emotional support peacock - millennials & baby boomers, yes, I can definitely see it, but, Generation X, we're just not that into it. (And, for all I know the person who did, indeed, try to board w/ the peacock IS Generation X... in which case, what do I know?)

The CDC released a report recently that found young women (ages 15-44) using ADHD medicine up is up 700 percent over 8 years. :eek: I have to wonder if anti-anxiety/anti-dipression meds are also up. :scratchin And I wonder how much has been prescribed because it's easier for the Dr. to write a prescription than finding other ways to treat women? And also, how many are just told to get an emotional support animal than find more effective ways to cope without relying on an animal? (I am NOT saying that people don't need them. Many find relief or are able to function because of these meds. I'm wondering if other treatment options being explored first/or instead of drugs?)

Last edited:

I'm getting pretty tired of the "emotional support animal" being used as an excuse. There are more emotional support dogs at my son's college dorm who aren't really ES dogs. So cruel to the dog.
Yes, my daughter could have a legitimate emotional support dog. Her psychiatrist even suggested it. And she absolutely loves dogs. But, she recognizes that it would absolutely not be fair to the animal because she could not properly take care of a dog living in a dorm (especially while going to school full time and working 20 hours a week)

Lately I have been seeing dogs everywhere, restaurants, stores, malls etc. All with an "emotional support" vest. From what I understand, you can buy these vests on the internet.

I am not talking about a true service dog, those are obviously valid and should be allowed everywhere. I am talking about people who just want to take their pet everywhere and use the law to skirt the rules.

The thing is, they’re not really using “the law” to skirt the rules; they’re just benefiting on other people’s ignorance of the law and hesitancy to call them out.

ESAs are allowed on airplanes and in housing that doesn’t otherwise allow pets. That’s it. They are NOT allowed in stores, restaurants, etc. Neither are therapy dogs. But people bring them wherever they want because they just assume that no one is going to challenge them.

I have a trained and certified therapy dog that I volunteer with. I’m certain that I could take him wherever I want, say “he’s a therapy dog” and get away with it, but I don’t because I know it’s not right.

The CDC released a report recently that found young women (ages 15-44) using ADHD medicine up is up 700 percent over 8 years. :eek: I have to wonder if anti-anxiety/anti-dipression meds are also up. :scratchin And I wonder how much has been prescribed because it's easier for the Dr. to write a prescription than finding other ways to treat women? And also, how many are just told to get an emotional support animal than find more effective ways to cope without relying on an animal? (I am NOT saying that people don't need them. Many find relief or are able to function because of these meds. I'm wondering if other treatment options being explored first/or instead of drugs?)

First, I love that a woman of 44 is still considered a young woman!

Second, I don't doubt that at all! When I was in the hospital after having our 2nd child, I was having a lot of anxiety issues, & the first thing a nurse did was recommend anti-anxiety drugs. And, yes, I think women have a hard time being taken seriously & treated efficiently when it comes to medical issues.

But, possibly being over-prescribed drugs to treat various conditions & even being urged to get emotional support animals does not translate to someone saying, "Oh, okay, I'll get a peacock & try to board a plane w/ my peacock."

Honestly, if I were on a plane next to a woman (of any age) w/ a little lap dog & she told me that Fluffy was her emotional support animal, I might internally roll my eyes, but I wouldn't think it all that unusual. However, a peacock does not equal a Pomeranian.

Honestly, if I were on a plane next to a woman (of any age) w/ a little lap dog & she told me that Fluffy was her emotional support animal, I might internally roll my eyes, but I wouldn't think it all that unusual. However, a peacock does not equal a Pomeranian.
That's because the definition of emotional support animal is intentially vague.

From wiki: "Emotional support animals, typically dogs, but sometimes cats or other animals, may be used by people with a range of physical, psychiatric or intellectual disabilities."

The thing is we're so used to seeing dogs especially when comparing it in our minds to service animals. Dogs are just a common animal humans interact with. That's why it doesn't seem as unusual.

But the base aspect of an emotional support animal means a wide variety of animals can qualify.

*Note I'm not agreeing with the woman attempting to take the peacock on an airplane, especially when told multiple times no, as she should have used alternative transportation.

“Muddled through life” is an interesting way to think of the severe, undiagnosed and therefore untreated PTSD they surely experienced.

I’m glad mental health is getting the attention it deserves nowadays.

Now if we could do something about the rampant entitlement and inconsideration going around, we’d be on the right track.

I am also glad mental health is getting the attention it deserves, in fact at least here, it needs a whole lot more of it.
I am also very glad those serving today receive much better support than those of previous generations.

However my point stands-if my grandfather who saw (and likely did) horrific things in WW2, managed to cope the rest of his life without having to take some sort of emotional support animal with him to partake in life than I would expect that more than 90% of those we see should be able to.
And if they can’t then we should be enforcing them to receive greater treatment than waking around with their peacock.

“Delta said it flew 250,000 emotional support animals last year, up 150 percent from 2015, while “incidents” such as biting or defecating had nearly doubled since 2016.”

^ If there are that many people have such severe mental health issues that they cannot get through the day without the support of an animal then we have a real health crisis on our hands.

It sounds so strange to me- living in the UK this just wouldn’t happen here. We have service animals, but establishments aren’t forbidden from asking for proof. I’m sure some people do have “ESAs” here but they aren’t accorded rights like in the States. I’m sure animals bring a lot of comfort to a lot of people (including myself) but except in rare cases there’s really no need to bring an emotional support animal on a flight.

DH plays 3 nights a week. Also season ticket holders for Bruins. Hockey is life!!
That's nice. We go to a few Lightning games a year and spend a good many eves in cold Ontario arenas watching him play lol. I know Bruins fans really love their team.

That's nice. We go to a few Lightning games a year and spend a good many eves in cold Ontario arenas watching him play lol. I know Bruins fans really love their team.

:rotfl2::rotfl2: You couldn't tell by name. Love my little ball of hate:thumbsup2

The thing about emotional support animals rising 150 percent...I'm willing to bet it has nothing to do with that many people actually needing an ESA, and more to do with people using the loophole as an excuse so their pets can fly in the cabin with them instead of the cargo hold. I know I don't particularly like the thought of my pets riding down there either. Not that I would personally lie about it if I were put in that situation, but still. I can see why people would.

Of course, peacocks and warthogs are a whole 'nuther thing...

Yes, my daughter could have a legitimate emotional support dog. Her psychiatrist even suggested it. And she absolutely loves dogs. But, she recognizes that it would absolutely not be fair to the animal because she could not properly take care of a dog living in a dorm (especially while going to school full time and working 20 hours a week)

The thing is, they’re not really using “the law” to skirt the rules; they’re just benefiting on other people’s ignorance of the law and hesitancy to call them out.

ESAs are allowed on airplanes and in housing that doesn’t otherwise allow pets. That’s it. They are NOT allowed in stores, restaurants, etc. Neither are therapy dogs. But people bring them wherever they want because they just assume that no one is going to challenge them.

I have a trained and certified therapy dog that I volunteer with. I’m certain that I could take him wherever I want, say “he’s a therapy dog” and get away with it, but I don’t because I know it’s not right.

Allowing dogs/pets in rental properties that otherwise do not allow them really frosts me. I'm a landlord. My husband and I have made the decision that we DO NOT want pets (of any sort) in our rental property. We have had sad experience with pets that have done, literally, thousands of dollars in damages to our homes, and the damage deposit does not begin to cover that. By having a "no pets" rule, automatically, we are eliminating a large number of potential renters. We have made that decision KNOWINGLY because we do not wish to have the potential damage that pets create. Lots of rental properties DO take pets. It really really irritates me that people would knowingly circumvent a landlord's desires. Why? Why not just get one of the many places that TAKE pets. Oh, I know...those places tend to cost more. Duh. Silly me. Our places do rent at a discount compared to similar properties in the same communities. Moreover, you drop that little "fact" on me AFTER you've moved in "by the way, I have an ESA" I'm going to be really untrusting of you as a tenant, and your tenancy is likely to be very short.

I have NO problem whatsoever with renting to people with trained service animals (e.g., the blind, hard of hearing, etc). Those dogs are thoroughly trained and present no problem whatsoever with damage. It's the ESA's that I have an issue with. No "training" (you can get those certificates off the internet, same with the doctor's note that "prescribes" them to you...insert eye roll) and goodness knows what you will actually get.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter