"Emotional Support" Dog on Delta Flight Mauls Stranger Next to It

I am shocked that the animal in question was not put down. To attack a person unprovoked TWICE within minutes. Our neighbour had a dog that bit that mailman once, less damage done than to this man on the flight and the neighbour's dog was put down soon after.

It seems to me like there may indeed be a lawsuit against Delta or at least some kind of settlement will be sought:

"Massey [the victim's attorney] said his legal team is currently seeking information from Delta Air Lines regarding their compliance with policies for unrestrained larger animals within a plane's cabin. He also wants to see the verification process of their emotional support animal training requirements.

"It is troubling that an airline would allow a dog of such substantial size to ride in a passenger's lap without a muzzle," said Massey. "Especially considering the dog and its owner were assigned a middle seat despite Delta Air Lines' policies that call for the re-accommodation of larger animals."

At this time, a lawsuit has not been filed."

I'm not a lawyer, but I'm guessing the victim will indeed get paid. The lawyer is seeking information on policies and procedures. He just needs to poke one hole in those to get his case. Also, this is the first mention I've seen of using a muzzle, and I've wondered about that. I have a muzzle for my dog. He was raised wearing one, as a former racing dog, but I've only actually used it in a couple times. A neighborhood friend of my daughter's wanted to "meet" him, but was a little scared. We initially kept the muzzle on him with us holding him whenever she was at the house, but now she happily plays with him without the muzzle.

This is the source of the quote I referenced. Warning: it has some pictures of the victim's wounds that some may find pretty gross and possibly disturbing.
http://www.al.com/news/mobile/index.ssf/2017/06/marlin_jackson_support_dog_bit.html

I posted a link to Delta's policies a few pages ago. They do state that service animals must sit on the floor under/in front of the passenger's seat. If a trained and certified service dog can't sit on a lap, then I don't see why an untrained ESA should have been allowed to. So, that may be enough to argue a lawsuit.

We have a retired racing greyhound, so I am familiar with the use of muzzles as normal. I think culturally it is generally considered "cruel" and it seems to upset people. The only people I know who seem comfortable with using or suggesting that others use a muzzle are "greyhound people". Everyone else seems to want to avoid them at all costs. Personally, there is no way I would want to sit next to any dog (regardless of how small) only inches away from my face on an airplane. I would gladly support the use of muzzles for everyone's safety.

I posted a link to Delta's policies a few pages ago. They do state that service animals must sit on the floor under/in front of the passenger's seat. If a trained and certified service dog can't sit on a lap, then I don't see why an untrained ESA should have been allowed to. So, that may be enough to argue a lawsuit.

We have a retired racing greyhound, so I am familiar with the use of muzzles as normal. I think culturally it is generally considered "cruel" and it seems to upset people. The only people I know who seem comfortable with using or suggesting that others use a muzzle are "greyhound people". Everyone else seems to want to avoid them at all costs. Personally, there is no way I would want to sit next to any dog (regardless of how small) only inches away from my face on an airplane. I would gladly support the use of muzzles for everyone's safety.

If you have to keep the area at your feet clear, why can you keep a dog there?

If you have to keep the area at your feet clear, why can you keep a dog there?

I'm guessing because accommodations must be made for service animals.
I can't let my pet sit at my feet, they have to go under the seat in front of me. But since a service dog (not ESA, true service dog) has a job to do, and may be too large to fit under the seat, some other accommodation must be made.

So I know a little about that fear of dogs - we never got bitten, but the girls and I have been threatened. That fear doesn't go away.
Agree 100%. I was bit a couple times as a child. A magnet for dog bites I guess. I currently own a dog but he is of the size that if he ever went crazy, I'm reasonably sure I could take him out. It's hard for some people to realize that people can have a true fear of dogs. If I see a strange dog in my vicinity I definitely tense up and keep and eye on my kids. And look around for anything that could be used as a weapon.

Agree 100%. I was bit a couple times as a child. A magnet for dog bites I guess. I currently own a dog but he is of the size that if he ever went crazy, I'm reasonably sure I could take him out. It's hard for some people to realize that people can have a true fear of dogs. If I see a strange dog in my vicinity I definitely tense up and keep and eye on my kids. And look around for anything that could be used as a weapon.

I think if more people had a healthy fear, there would be far fewer incidents.

It is honestly mind boggling to me how relaxed and carefree most people are (especially with dogs around small children). I love dogs and have spent countless hours training mine, but I still don't trust them without limit. I have a trained and certified therapy dog, but I cannot say with absolute certainty that he would never bite. Any dog given the right circumstances (fear, pain, etc) will react negatively. That's why their handler must always pay attention and be ready to intervene before an incident happens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter