• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Embassy Suites vs. a Moderate On-Site?

turls401

Earning My Ears
I posted this on the Disney Resort forum, but thought I might get some differing
opinions here.

My DH and I are planning a trip to WDW - the first for him, I haven't been
here since 1988. We got an excellent rate for POR ($109/night for KS bed),
and were very excited. However, given what I have been reading on these
websites, I'm a little nervous about being disappointed - especially since
as a kid I was spoiled by always staying at the CR (with the gold key cards
- anyone remember those?). I can't justify spending twice the price for a
deluxe, which is what the quotes are looking like for this time. We can get
the Embassy Suites offsite for the same as the POR with the full breakfast
buffet/manager's reception - plus they have an iron, hairdryer, refrigerator,
coffee maker in the room. I know that these can be requested at POR, but
given that soap and shampoo has to be requested, I'm worried that I'd be
spending my first afternoon trying to get the room straight. We travel
frequently and are surprised that these items aren't standard - even the
motels I stay at usually have these items. We will have a rental car, and
our park hoppers will allow us to use Disney Transportation.

We have friends staying at FW Campsites who think we're crazy to stay
outside of the park. However, given what I've read about POR lately and
visiting WDW Blues website (photos of stickers left on walls of hotel
rooms), I'm afraid of being disappointed.

I'm not sure which embassy suites you are comparing the POR to, but I did stay at both hotels last April. The begining of our trip we decided to go to Seaworld. The park was great, even got in free on second day. I booked a pkg that included 2 adult Seaworld tickets, and 2 nights at Embassy Suites. We stayed at the International Drive/Jamiacan Ct. The rooms and breakfast were nice, but the pool was gross. Leaves, litter and Loads of People. Water not very clean. After visiting relatives in South FL we returned to Orlando for a two night stay at POR. What a HUGE difference. The room was adequate-well cared for, close to the bus, and the parking lot right outside our door for our rental car. (We stayed in the mansion section, but I have stayed in the Bayou also.) No walk thru lobby, and elevator waiting. Yes I did miss having a private room (We had our 15y/o DS with us), and free breakfast, but I really can't eat a big breakfast each morning, more used to toast and H20. The majic of staying at a Disney resort is hard to describe, you just feel surrounded by cast members who really seem to try harder to please the guests. We really loved the pools, swam in 4 different ones on the property. The main pool was crowded, but the rest were not. If you are going to be spending most of your time at WDW parks or at your hotel pool I would choose POR. Maybe the other Embassy Hotels are better? Any other opinions?

My thoughts are:

Embassy suites is a hotel, period. POR is a beautiful resort. The landscaping is awesome, peaceful and relaxing. Busing is good to the parks.

I loved our stay at POR a couple years ago.

Because this your dh's first time, I would go with a disney resort. I wouldn't worry about you being disappointed. Don't know about the shampoo/soap business.

The food court at POR is very nice, not too expensive.

The last few trips we have taken we do a combination of off/site, on/site because I have two grwon children now, and we just need extra space and beds.

What is the going rate for AKL during your time period? Check out mousesavers.com for codes. A standard room may not be much more than the POR.

Herc.

I like offsite. I have enjoyed Embassy Suites and the chance to unwind and be comfortable after a day at the park or a break during the day.

People on these boards have a magical connection with WDW that I do not.

I don't know about the pool and if that is the case I'd certainly complain.

However I like everything about Orlando and the other parks also....

Well, I would pick Embassy, I don't see much advantage of staying on site any more. You are probably talking about the LBV Embassy which is really nice. I have also stayed at the JC Embassy & when I was there the pool was very clean. Now that my children are older I love having the privacy of the extra room & to have that at WDW it's big bucks!
POR is very nice but the rooms are small & the bathroom area gets crowded & there isn't much room for all your suitcases & clothes. Trust me I love Disney resorts I never used to stay off site but in the last couple of years I really don't see much advantage to having a smaller room with less amenities for more $$$.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter