Embarassed to ask, but need to know...(excursion ?s)

BWVDenise

I believe in something, I just don't know what it
Okay, this may be a stupid question, but I have no experience with cruising or excursions, so here goes...

When you go on a snorkeling excursion where the equipment is provided, is it CLEAN?

Also, do they provide life vests for children who may not be strong swimmers?

Two more... when you are snorkeling, where do you leave your things (towels, KTTW cards, drinks, etc.)

AND is there someplace to get drinks or take the kids to the bathroom?

Thanks for putting up with silly stuff!:rolleyes:

Denise

Denise, those aren't silly questions at all! :)

I've been on several snorkeling excursions and all the different boats DO use disinfectant to clean the equipment. They also ALL require that snorkelers wear flotation vests, even if they are uninflated -- that is a DISNEY rule and all of their shore excursion operators that they contract with must follow it.

Most of the boats have an area where you can store your gear...just bring one daybag such as a backpack and keep everything together there.

They all serve drinks at the minimum, and some boats have food too. And all the boats have "heads" (bathrooms) as well. If there was ever an excursion where that was NOT the case DCL would tell you. The 12-metre regatta, for example (which is not a snorkeling excursion but a race limited to those age 12 and above), does not have bathrooms on the boats. You're too busy on that excursion to think about it anyway! :)

Hope that helps! :)

The snorkeling equipment LOOKED clean but I hate not knowing so I took some antibacterial hand wipes with me and wiped the mouth piece off with that and then I had also brought a water bottle with me so I rinsed it off with that! NO WAY am was I going to have a snorkle in my mouth that I had no idea who else had used it. This is one of the reasons we bought our own. I know Costco and Sams Club have great sets for fairly cheap right now.

All the snorkel trips we have been on they have had lifejackets available for everyone to use if you wanted to so I would assume that they would where you are going. In fact I think it would be considered a liability if they didnt.

When we went we either left our stuff on the bus (if they take you there and the bus stays there) or else on the beach BUT we NEVER took anything of extreme value with us. We have also purchased a Waterproof container for ID's that we keep with us at all times (or a waterproof fanny pack type thing would work too) that you can get a REI.com. I would NEVER leave my KTTW card, credit card or anything of value or importance on a beach! I would make sure I had them with me. Also dont let hubby put your cards in his suit pocket...they might come out! Saw a guy learn that the hard way in Cozumel and he had a hard time getting back on the ship afterwards! His poor wife had to go with the security people upstairs to get their birth certificates that they had left in the safe AND they had to open their safe for them since they used their S&S (like KTTW card) to lock the safe! I would spend the extra few $$$ and buy some waterproof containers for those cards! The towels, drinks, clothing I would not hesitate leaving on the beach since they are easily replaced but I wouldnt leave anything like keys, wallets, credit cards that kind of stuff.

As for bathrooms all trips that we have been on have had a place at some point to go to the bathroom but some have been at the end of the trip and some at the beginning when we didnt have to go. We have gotten so desperate from snorkeling and needing to go to the bathroom we have had to do it in the ocean! There was no other choice such as at Stingray City in Grand Cayman where you are in the middle of the ocean and really need to go and all there is is a speed boat there. As for some place to get drinks and such it would probably depend on what excursion you went on and stuff. Some might have them others may not it would just depend on what you were doing! We have been to places in Cozumel that have had some place for bathroom and drinks and we have been other places where they had nothing. I would suggest if you want drinks to bring a collapsible cooler full of drinks for you and even some snacks from Room Service off the boat!

Hope this has kind of helped!
Heidi

In regards to 'clean' snorkling equipment - isn't that what the salt water is for!!!??? LOL

I know Disney has strict guidelines on sanitation. So, you really shouldn't worry about it. (unless you worry about silverwear at restaurants, etc)

Hate to say it, but antibacterial wipes aren't going to do a thing about the worst buggers. They don't contain virulcides, and bad viruses are far worse than any bacterial infection. Parvoviruses cause a lot of illnesses, Fifth Disease being one off the top of my head, and Parvo viruses and Corona viruses are two very hardy varieties. Of course then there are the wonderful Arenaviruses, Filoviruses, and Flaviviruses. Many of which are present in tropical areas.

Luckily some of the worst of the worst of the viruses don't live long outside their host. But, I still wouldn't take a chance. I'd never use "rented" snorkel gear, anymore than I'd use a borrowed toothbrush, unless I knew that it had been sanitized under CDC standards.

Anne

Thanks for the info, Anne. I know I'll be buying some snorkel equipment before we cruise!! (just have to figure out how to pack all that along with everything else!)

Another good source of snorkeling gear is U.S. Divers, they will send a catalog, search them on the web. We have our own snorkel gear. Besides having more confidence in whose mouth it has been in, your own gear just fits a heck of a lot better. When you buy a new mask, try on different types and sizes, they vary tremendously. When you are properly fitted you will not leak, very important for comfort. (Slap Straps, a soft nylon padded strap are also great, don't pull out hair or give a face hickey.) A good mask is also less likely to fog. A good snorkel and lessons in how to clear it can be invaluable. One of the best things you can do is contact a good dive shop. Very often they will offer a free session in a pool to try out your new gear and learn how to properly clear the mask and snorkel (sometimes under the guise of an invitation to become certified in scuba). Decent gear can last many years and does not need to be pricey. It is great to have your own and be able to do a "face plant" anywhere you go. By the time you pay for a couple shore excursions just to rent gear, you may have paid for the stuff. And kids LOVE using the gear, even in the bathtub.

If I didn't have my own (snorkel) I would bring a small bottle with 10% bleach and water. This will kill almost everything:D

Yes the Golden Eagle has 2 bathrooms on board. If you go on this excursion you will have a good time. The crew is fantastic! In January there were about 35 DISers on the morning excursion. I would definitely do it again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter