Elevated spot to watch the parade Christmas week?

Zhaan

Mouseketeer
I had a couple of questions.

First, can anyone think of a slightly elevated spot, not in the front row, to watch the Christmas parade from on Christmas week? I'm very short and would rather not camp a spot for 1+ hours. I'm fine with being behind other people but I want to be able to see. Can anyone think of elevated places to stand back from the front line?

Second, I see there are 2 parade times that week each day, noon and 3:30. Is one or the other more or less crowded? About the same?

First, can anyone think of a slightly elevated spot, not in the front row, to watch the Christmas parade from on Christmas week? I'm very short and would rather not camp a spot for 1+ hours. I'm fine with being behind other people but I want to be able to see. Can anyone think of elevated places to stand back from the front line?

Second, I see there are 2 parade times that week each day, noon and 3:30. Is one or the other more or less crowded? About the same?
You can always try for a spot on the 2nd level of the train station. Other than that, there isn't much difference in elevation along the parade route.

The 12:00 noon and 3:30 parades are equally crowded. CMs who perform in the Christmas Parade say nothing else compares to the thrill of performing for masses of people during Christmas week. :)

If you don't mind not being front and center, there is a bridge right behind the Olde Christmas Tree Shoppe that offers a pretty good view of the parade. It's at a bit of a distance, but if you stand at the railing, no one can get in front of you. We did this on Dec. 29 last year and it was really nice. It wasn't crowded and we had a nice view.

The spots on the second level of the train station are frequently blocked out during parades for VIP's and up-sell tickets, so count that out. If they should not need it for an up-sell event then everyone else gets the idea and you wind up having to stake your spot out way early.

If you want to try for a early stake out spot at the train station be sure to check in advance with the CM's at guest services. They upper deck does not always appear to look reserved and then the CM's sweep the area out some time close to the parade time. Then you are just out of luck finding a spot.

We are definitely seeing an uptick in the number of up-sell events where the best seating, location and areas are being taken away from regular guests who are paying $100 plus for a park ticket and being held hostage for addition fees and charges. Disney's greed seems to know no bounds.

~NM

Very slight elevation in Frontierland on the boardwalk fronting the stores and restaurants, and there are a very few spots right in front of the Diamond Horseshoe to the side of their entrance doors. Please do not block the doors to the restaurant, a CM would most likely keep that area clear. The restaurant entrance is a couple of steps up from the street and that platform extends a few feet beyond their doors both left and right. If people are not waiting for their ADR the area might be clear, better luck with this for the later parade.

The spots on the second level of the train station are frequently blocked out during parades for VIP's and up-sell tickets, so count that out. If they should not need it for an up-sell event then everyone else gets the idea and you wind up having to stake your spot out way early.

If you want to try for a early stake out spot at the train station be sure to check in advance with the CM's at guest services. They upper deck does not always appear to look reserved and then the CM's sweep the area out some time close to the parade time. Then you are just out of luck finding a spot.

We are definitely seeing an uptick in the number of up-sell events where the best seating, location and areas are being taken away from regular guests who are paying $100 plus for a park ticket and being held hostage for addition fees and charges. Disney's greed seems to know no bounds.

~NM
Agree. Seems kind of ridiculous

~NM
Agree. Greed seems like the best word to describe it. Leave at least one area open for first come, first serve, to see the parade, like the second level of the train station.

~NM
I believe only the middle is reserved for VIP

a mother is the FP ( old FP) sewing area for wishes they are a little higher and if no one is standing on the wall in front of you you can see most of the parade ( or at lest I could let year and I am short)

I think in front of the Liberty Belle there is an elevator platform. We saw the parade from there one year.

in my experience the noon parade is less crowded since people tend to associate MK parades with 3pm. As for a last minute elevated spot, that's hard, even with the noon parade all spots are pretty much spoken for an hour before, there's an elevated walkway by Liberty Tree Tavern that might work but your chance of finding a spot there is hard

I believe only the middle is reserved for VIP

Technically that is correct BUT it depends on the event and the area needed. The upper levels for the train station for the 3pm parade have traditionally been reserved for new CM's undergoing training. If this is not happening then the area would be open. However we are seeing more special events happening where areas traditionally open to all guests are being SOLD to groups for exclusive access.

I was seated in the wing area of the upper level of the train station in October and I was asked to leave because the entire platform was needed. When I asked why I was told it was a VIP guest.

The takeaway from this is that no area of the park is guaranteed. If it seems like it is a really great location then it's best to check ahead to make sure. Up-sell is the name of the game these days at WDW. God forbid those stock prices should fall. That is what is really motivating the high level managers who are running the parks. Guests are being baited and stratified by the size of their wallets. There is little focus on the "show". Profits now come above all else at WDW. Charge the maximum and give the minimum.

If Disney can carve out an area open to the regular guest for an up-sell then then that's what they'll do. We'll be seeing it more and more. It's only a matter of time before the fast pass system is held completely hostage to some form of an up-sell. Some will be insidious, like Extra Magic Hours for resort guests. Others will be in your face like reserving popular areas or times for guests who have to pay extra. It's happening right before our eyes and in my opinion it's very sad. Walt Disney World parks in Orlando in particular are where the gouging is taking over like a vengeance. Management is using the financials from this park to prop up it's sagging bottom line.

~NM

It's often easier to find a spot in Frontierland. You won't get a good spot walking up last minute, but grab yourself a Dole Whip about an hour before the parade, and find a good spot to sit and eat it. By the time you're done enjoying your ice cream and socializing with your family along the parade route, the parade will be starting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter