Electrical contractor (or any house repair for that matter)...

Thanks for all of the replies! This has been really helpful. My area seems to have a lot of issues based on what I'm seeing on the Next Door app. We had a new tankless water heater and windows put in recently and had outstanding service for those jobs. I will just lower my expectations a bit and find some patience!
You might call the contractors who did the water heater and windows and see if they have a referral for an electrical contractor. Companies usually will refer to like companies because they don’t want to give a bad referral. Good luck with your project! 😎

I was figuring the price to rewire half of my house would be outrageous so I am just doing it myself. I need to get rid of the rest of our knob and tube wiring. I didn't even bother getting an estimate. Most Contractors don't want to deal with patching our lath and plaster walls.
Are you getting inspections done? Do you know how to follow the code?

I couldn't believe a Contractor quoted us $180k to redo our 12'x16' kitchen with no major structural changes.
I would guess there's a lot that factors into a remodel, even with no structural changes. Was the quote itemized so you could find out if/how he was gouging you?

My 5 x 7 bathroom is costing close to $20k (completely gut job down to the studs, with new plumbing.) I expect my kitchen will be $75k+, so that won't be happening probably ever. :(
Our two 5 x 9 bathrooms were in that ball park, master bath was more because DW insisted on Corian counter and (bathtub sized) shower surround. Kitchen came in about $60,000, with the Corian counter tops being a big chunk of the cost.
It is funny to watch the various HGTV shows and see a complete gut on say "Hometown" is $70,000 and a modest remodel on "Love it or List It" can easily run $120,000.

Where I live, home contractors have more work than they can handle. Even if you get a quote back, you might still be waiting in line for a while.
The contractor I used for my top to bottom remodel 7 years isn't even doing estimates anymore. They are booked through 2021, and they can't find people to hire to add additional crews.

It is funny to watch the various HGTV shows and see a complete gut on say "Hometown" is $70,000 and a modest remodel on "Love it or List It" can easily run $120,000.

I think part of it is whether they are doing the work themselves or they have or have to call in a contractor for the work.

I would guess there's a lot that factors into a remodel, even with no structural changes. Was the quote itemized so you could find out if/how he was gouging you?
A few years ago in-laws were looking into adding some square footage to a home mother-in-law's mom and husband had built in the 1940s that isn't too too huge either. The changes they wanted weren't too big though some of it was structural to add the square footage. The cost was several hundred thousand dollars. It would have been cheaper to bulldoze the home and start from scratch. Most of the related cost was actually code updates. Once a wall was open, any wall, code required the whole house to be brought up to code. That house has knob and tube wiring, structural changes like firewalls, insulation and more.

It would have been cheaper to bulldoze the home and start from scratch. Most of the related cost was actually code updates. Once a wall was open, any wall, code required the whole house to be brought up to code. That house has knob and tube wiring, structural changes like firewalls, insulation and more.
This is what the electrician told me. It is cheaper to start from scratch than to do a remodel.

Building homes here are usually pretty quick but I would guess that many of the separate contractors in many areas are booked up with projects and the contractors working on building new homes are mostly hooked up with the builders and just rotate from house to house. With COVID you probably have more issues because there's protocols in place, workers could be out, etc. Materials are also somewhat hard to come by. I mentioned on another thread someone asked about a fridge. I just checked with my mom 3 days ago and the fridge my aunt ordered back in August still hasn't come in yet...she was wanting that for Christmas...that's gonna be a nope. My mom had carpet replaced which amounts to 3/4ths of the house and the company sent only 2 guys out and they were there far longer (they got done at 9pm) than they quoted her because it was just two guys. I think places are spread kinda thin. I'd give the contractor the benefit of the doubt and try again tomorrow.

Every house we've previously owned was a new build or less than 5 years old so we've only had to deal with a few issues (new roof from hail storm, HVAC issues, water leak). This is our first adventure into an old house. Honestly, so far so good with the contractors and even this electrician responded fast and showed up early so I will definitely reach out tomorrow.

We will get additional quotes, but wanted a ballpark first. I am hoping this one works out based on reviews and our interaction with him. Family owned company that's been around awhile - not too big or small.

Are you getting inspections done? Do you know how to follow the code?

I am not getting any inspections. I'm sure I don't know every section of the code and I'm sure there are some areas where an inspector would fault my work. The biggest issue I have is routing the Romex though the walls without cutting too many holes I have to patch. What ever I do is going to be safer than keeping the ungrounded knob and tube circuits. I'm sure there have been critters inside the walls gnawing at the old insulation. I also plan on replacing the old circuit breakers with AFCI breakers which should improve safety.

Yes I got an itemized estimate. I questioned some of the items. This section was the biggest ripoff. I am not going pay someone $5k to stuff some insulation in the walls. Crazy....

17 INSULATION SI 17 - Subcontract Test In & Test Out For Increased Home Energy Performance 17 - Labor Install Wall Insulation - Kitchen Install new batt insulation in opened kitchen exterior walls as necessary. NOTE: Assumes to reuse existing batt insulation where possible. Install Ceiling Insulation - Kitchen - BUDGET Install new batt ceiling insulation above kitchen. Air Sealing - Kitchen Seal all plumbing penetrations, gaps, cracks and holes at exterior wall behind kitchen sink. 17 - Material Supply Insulation & Air Sealing Materials - BUDGET Supply new exterior wall & ceiling batt insulation for opened walls at kitchen perimeter and ceiling, ducting insulation for new range hood fan ducting, and air sealing caulking & tape for opened cavities in wall framing. SUBTOTAL 17 INSULATION SI $4,836.00

Our two 5 x 9 bathrooms were in that ball park, master bath was more because DW insisted on Corian counter and (bathtub sized) shower surround. Kitchen came in about $60,000, with the Corian counter tops being a big chunk of the cost.
Ouch.

Finished 1200 sqft in our basement. Had to build some walls, install a few beams to take out some walls, cut in a couple windows, got two bedrooms, living room, laundry room, walk in pantry, walk in closets, full bath with walk in shower twin vanities and granite counter top and a small kitchen also with granite for $60,000. Was turn key, included LVT flooring and lighting package.

Construction must be much cheaper here.

Ouch.

Finished 1200 sqft in our basement. Had to build some walls, install a few beams to take out some walls, cut in a couple windows, got two bedrooms, living room, laundry room, walk in pantry, walk in closets, full bath with walk in shower twin vanities and granite counter top and a small kitchen also with granite for $60,000. Was turn key, included LVT flooring and lighting package.

Construction must be much cheaper here.
Like I said, it is amazing to see the cost differences across the nation on construction costs. And of course the value of the finished house varies wildly. An $800,000 house in some eastern cities could set you back $15,000 in Laurel, Mississippi. A co-worker is transferring from Sacramento the Dallas. His 1,350 square foot house will likely sell for $100,000 more than the 3,800 square foot home he is buying in Dallas. And Dallas is a big city.

I think part of it is whether they are doing the work themselves or they have or have to call in a contractor for the work.
You know, I don't know for certain, My assumption i that all those workers they show during the remodel are contractors. Although some of the shows do let the homeowners do some token demo and minor tasks.

You know, I don't know for certain, My assumption i that all those workers they show during the remodel are contractors. Although some of the shows do let the homeowners do some token demo and minor tasks.
I’m thinking of shows were the host is doing that remodel or some of it. Like Flip or Flop. Or at least it gives the impression that the host is doing some of the work.

^^ Yes, most of the home remodel shows seemed staged to make it appear the hosts are actually doing the work, but many of them show the contractor either quoting or otherwise being involved. They seem to mostly be 'helping' the contractors. Major home repairs/remodels need to be led by someone who is licensed to do such things. Amateurs doing that work can end badly with either faulty work or creating some other problem. If your home later floods or catches fire from faulty work done by amateurs, your home owner's insurance will likely be unwilling to pay a claim.

Changing a light fixture is a LOT different from rewiring your house and beyond the capabilities of most homeowners.

^^ Yes, most of the home remodel shows seemed staged to make it appear the hosts are actually doing the work, but many of them show the contractor either quoting or otherwise being involved. They seem to mostly be 'helping' the contractors. Major home repairs/remodels need to be led by someone who is licensed to do such things. Amateurs doing that work can end badly with either faulty work or creating some other problem. If your home later floods or catches fire from faulty work done by amateurs, your home owner's insurance will likely be unwilling to pay a claim.

Changing a light fixture is a LOT different from rewiring your house and beyond the capabilities of most homeowners.
Watching Holmes Makes it Right, a lot of CONTRACTORS (at least in Canada) have no clue what they are doing.

For $5k I'll stuff the insulation back in the walls and spray the fire stop around all of the wiring and pipe penetrations. I don't need an expert contractor to do that.

Well, OP here...went from worrying that no quote came to they are here now rewiring the house! We took them up on their offer to get it done during their slower holiday week so we should be done by Christmas!

So glad it worked out for you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter