El Nino

“torrential downpours” as well can be relative. What locals (and myself as a SoCal native) call heavy rain my Canadian born boys will go out in without an umbrella. Truly. My middle hasn’t even donned his raincoat since we moved here in august 2022 and it’s been the “wettest” year.

One of the best days we’ve spent at Disney was a rainy March day in 2020. It also happened to be the next to last day before the closure but boy did we get on every single ride, and multiple times!

Even the hurricane/tropical storm this august (which had me very concerned) ended up being a great day at Disney for many.

As others have said, pack appropriate weather gear, and do have a backup plan. When planning a multiple day trip we always plan a down/non park day which gives us flexibility to switch our days around. Yes, even with the reservation system it is possible if you go to guest services with a kind attitude. In Dec 2021 we switched our rest day and snagged a storytellers brunch, swam in the (very light) rain and it was an absolutely lovely day. Attitude is everything.

Well… I have to be honest. Didn’t know what El Niño was but now after googling, I am concerned for my November trip! Lol. Though reading the replies here, it looks like if weather is to take a turn it won’t be until the winter months. It’s been downpouring here for the past few days in NJ so I’ve been looking forward to some California sunshine! Fingers crossed for nice sunny weather in Anaheim for the next few months…

Fingers crossed for nice sunny weather in Anaheim for the next few months…
Noooooo! I know you're wishing for good weather for yourself and others on this board who plan to visit DL, which is very kind of you, but we're just getting into the rainy season in California, and despite the very wet season we had in 2022-23, we still need lots more water for our aquifers!

I personally wouldn't cancel the trip over possible rain. But that's just my opinion. Growing up in Orange County, I remember the weather stations always over exaggerating the weather conditions. I now live in CO and it's always funny to me when my CA friends post about how crazy the weather is when they'd get a small amount of hail on the ground or anytime they got a thunderstorm. I remember CA winters getting down to MAYBE 65 degrees and it raining off and on with fog in the mornings. I would bring layers as it can still get up in temperature during the mid afternoons. Anyways, if it rains, it's a good thing for CA because they definitely need it.

I live in Northern, CA and personally I wouldn't worry about it ruining your trip. CA isn't like Oregon, Washington or Florida which rains a ton more. People go to the Florida parks even though it rains and just buy ponchos and get through it. In the past we haven't had a ton of rain in December for the trips I've gone on but the last couple of years we have had some rain that we don't usually get. I honestly don't think there is any way to predict it in advance. Some people have written reviews of having their best trips during the rainy seasons and Disney due to the short lines. If your that concerned then maybe move your trip to summer time? For me, I would just go but that's my personal opinion. Have a great trip!

We've been going in December for 25+ years, usually a week at a time. I hate rain at disneyland but I wouldn't cancel a trip over it. You truly can't predict it. We've been during years it felt like it poured the entire week, but there were always breaks here and there. Most rides stay open. I bought my family dri-ducks rainsuits, neoprene socks, and wore baseball hats under our hoods. We usually make it through the day but leave when it gets dark because it's too cold (with the wet). It's made for some funny memories, but maybe not at the time! :o Like waiting for an inside table for what seemed like hours, but having the best bread bowl of my life. Or waiting to get off small world in pouring rain as our boat filled with water. :oops:

Okay... I K-N-O-W ... weather related questions are annoying and just check the forecast a few days before, etc etc..

But with the forecast of a "Strong El Nino".. Do we move/change our December Disneyland trip? We are SO excited to go, but also do NOT want to go in the rain and the cold. We are from the PNW, so can "handle" rain, but we don't want to... HELP.. Is this worrying anyone else?
No you should cancel immediately. I would go during an El Nina year like last Winter. You will stay dry.

Noooooo! I know you're wishing for good weather for yourself and others on this board who plan to visit DL, which is very kind of you, but we're just getting into the rainy season in California, and despite the very wet season we had in 2022-23, we still need lots more water for our aquifers!

Just so you know, I'm personally blaming you for next week's bad weather prediction during my trip 🤣🤪😭

Living in the Pacific Northwest, "cold" and "raining" are very perspective!

Give me that liquid sunshine and a churro.

Not directed just to you but in general stop watching the news and that will solve weather worries. They cannot predict the weather months in advance, yet it brings in ratings and gets people all riled up with fear/panic.

Last year was one of the wettest season's on record in Southern California- more rain totals than Seattle. Yet 'predicted' to be a dry winter with major drought and water restrictions in place. 🧐

Last edited:
I haven't read the whole thread, but really, unless you are prone to illness when it's wet out or something, just go. I was there for Thanksgiving 2019 and it was one of the most intense atmospheric rivers I've ever seen at Disneyland. The water was above my ankles at one point while riding IASM. But, despite all that, it was still Disneyland, so it was still a wonderful trip.

For what it's worth, I'm hearing that the rain will be about average this year but that it might be very cold (for southern California). But, long range forecasts aren't exactly set in stone and few even venture to guess further than a couple of weeks ahead. Best of luck to you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter