El Nino

MaxnElliesMama

Mouseketeer
Okay... I K-N-O-W ... weather related questions are annoying and just check the forecast a few days before, etc etc..

But with the forecast of a "Strong El Nino".. Do we move/change our December Disneyland trip? We are SO excited to go, but also do NOT want to go in the rain and the cold. We are from the PNW, so can "handle" rain, but we don't want to... HELP.. Is this worrying anyone else?

30 views and NO replies.. come on guys, i prefaced this with i know people hate weather questions...... :cool1:... edited to add- this comment is said in a jovial bantering way, as its being misconstured as rude and impatient..

Last edited:
I don't like "bad weather" either, but am still going from 3-7 December for All the Christmas! I can't do that during "better" weather, and probably wouldn't want to, since the cooler days contribute to the atmosphere; I like cooler weather too. If it rains, we'll deal with it. Looks like highs about 70, lows down to 45, but that's late at night.
I dont mind cold weather, we can get cute disney winter gear, i just REALLY don't want wet wet wet :(

Strange how confusing the question is.. I don't remember typing or asking how much rain may occur, and the question is pretty clear right at the end of the orignal post. Is this worrying anyone else? I take it as not.

Seems like the repliers this morning need some more coffee and keyboard pixie dust. :guilty:

Have the best day!

We are going just after Christmas and yes I am worried. I don't really have another option though. I booked flights in what seems like last year at this point though it must have been springtime-ish. My son and his girlfriend have to get out of work and have had the dates since then. Me taking Christmas week off in an office of only 4 of us is a big deal that I had to fully commit to. I don't know that it would be fair now to say "nevermind!" when my office mates didn't plan vacations because I was already off. We are in the NE so we also know cold and that's OK but did I WANT to take a special graduation trip to Southern CA and have cold and rain? nope. We can deal with chilly. If it's pouring it will really not be a great time. We are at DAK this past April and we left early because of the rain. We had no idea it would pour all day, but it did. We were prepared for typical Florida showers. This was 2 inches of standing water on the pavement rain. If we go all the way to CA and our only 2 park days end up like that...yes I am worried about it. I totally get it. Especially since we are going on a cruise after our time at DLR. THAT is what I am stressing about canceling. But if it's pouring I suppose NYE on a cruise ship will still be better than it pouring and stuck in a hotel room. So the best I can do for DLR is book indoor table service dining and at least one character meal to get out of the weather and avoid lines, buy us all cute ponchos and pack rain boots. And Pray.

and IDK why people can't just talk normal instead of being snarky sorry you had a lot of that.

We are going just after Christmas and yes I am worried. I don't really have another option though. I booked flights in what seems like last year at this point though it must have been springtime-ish. My son and his girlfriend have to get out of work and have had the dates since then. Me taking Christmas week off in an office of only 4 of us is a big deal that I had to fully commit to. I don't know that it would be fair now to say "nevermind!" when my office mates didn't plan vacations because I was already off. We are in the NE so we also know cold and that's OK but did I WANT to take a special graduation trip to Southern CA and have cold and rain? nope. We can deal with chilly. If it's pouring it will really not be a great time. We are at DAK this past April and we left early because of the rain. We had no idea it would pour all day, but it did. We were prepared for typical Florida showers. This was 2 inches of standing water on the pavement rain. If we go all the way to CA and our only 2 park days end up like that...yes I am worried about it. I totally get it. Especially since we are going on a cruise after our time at DLR. THAT is what I am stressing about canceling. But if it's pouring I suppose NYE on a cruise ship will still be better than it pouring and stuck in a hotel room. So the best I can do for DLR is book indoor table service dining and at least one character meal to get out of the weather and avoid lines, buy us all cute ponchos and pack rain boots. And Pray.

and IDK why people can't just talk normal instead of being snarky sorry you had a lot of that.
Oh I totally get all of that, we could change too if we needed to, but PTO has been arranged, schedules have been set, house sitters hired..

Anyhow, here is to hoping that El Nino, ends up mild or bringing not as much rain as they're predicting. The character meals are a nice idea. We do that in Disney World, to get a cool down, suppose its the same idea for a "dry off".

I hope you guys have the best time and the weather cooperates! I will cross my fingers for us!

Thanks for the reply, at least im not worrying alone, LOL!

I do not always agree GMI3804, but yeah, I wasn't sure what you are after either. What is more important, are you looking for whether or not El Nino/rain will impact your trip or do you want someone to worry with you for the coming 2 months?

Also to bump your post within an hour... because the first 30 people didn't respond immediately for a non urgent question. Also for calling someone names... Yeah, I'm with GMI on this one.

If you do not want to get wet, pack a rain coat and an umbrella.
I didn't call anyone any names, just FYI- that is her stated name on her signature. I was after conversation, is anyone else worried, is anyone else worried about the impact this could have on thier trip, etc. Not anywhere did i say how much rain will a cloud hold, how much rain will this storm bring. Anyhow, I don't intend to argue, just wanted to clear up that I wasn't calling names, its how she has her signature set. 👍

I go every year at that time, and have for many many years. Usually we go between the first and second week of Dec.

Year before last (I think?) it POURED on us one day. I mean it was torrential. But it's just my sister and me, we go every year, we're older, and we still enjoyed it very much. We were staying at GCH so we went back to the hotel and had our own little party upstairs in the 3rd floor lounge. Later, when things weren't so dicey with the rain, we enjoyed the parks and shopping.

It has happened to us maybe 2-3 times over the last 15 years on our Dec trip. We once got totally drenched, in spite of thorough rain gear, on our way to afternoon tea at the DLH. Late January is when I've experienced more rain at DLR.

But that's only a few times over many years, and it didn't spoil our trip. So no, I don't WANT it to happen, but I can deal with it if it does simply because we're not there for rides only. I do keep an eye on the weather as we get closer so I'm prepared, at least!

I go every year at that time, and have for many many years. Usually we go between the first and second week of Dec.

Year before last (I think?) it POURED on us one day. I mean it was torrential. But it's just my sister and me, we go every year, we're older, and we still enjoyed it very much. We were staying at GCH so we went back to the hotel and had our own little party upstairs in the 3rd floor lounge. Later, when things weren't so dicey with the rain, we enjoyed the parks and shopping.

It has happened to us maybe 2-3 times over the last 15 years on our Dec trip. We once got totally drenched, in spite of thorough rain gear, on our way to afternoon tea at the DLH. Late January is when I've experienced more rain at DLR.

But that's only a few times over many years, and it didn't spoil our trip. So no, I don't WANT it to happen, but I can deal with it if it does simply because we're not there for rides only. I do keep an eye on the weather as we get closer so I'm prepared, at least!
Thank you, a few times in 15 years isnt a horrible ratio!

I think my husband and older son would be rain troopers, its just my youngest and i, that feel as though we are melting, LOL!

I appreciate the response, we will defintely be watching as we get closer.

I'm coming from Alaska and going in late November, so southern California will be a weather improvement even if it's heavy rain.

I'm honestly more worried about extreme weather back home while we are gone. Last year, we got a dumb amount of snow. Way more than normal. As in can't leave the driveway or neighborhood amount of snow, and the plow trucks are overloaded and behind. My BIL watches our cats and I'm worried he won't be able to get there if it snows like last year. We have long term feeders at least. I also worry about loss of power from extreme wind storms. 2 years ago we had hurricane force winds and folks lost power in the middle of winter for weeks. Don't want to deal with frozen pipes bursting while thousands of miles away. Granted, all of this extreme weather occurred mid December to early January and we are going late November.

So yeah im also anxious about weather but more so about home 😬

I'm coming from Alaska and going in late November, so southern California will be a weather improvement even if it's heavy rain.

I'm honestly more worried about extreme weather back home while we are gone. Last year, we got a dumb amount of snow. Way more than normal. As in can't leave the driveway or neighborhood amount of snow, and the plow trucks are overloaded and behind. My BIL watches our cats and I'm worried he won't be able to get there if it snows like last year. We have long term feeders at least. I also worry about loss of power from extreme wind storms. 2 years ago we had hurricane force winds and folks lost power in the middle of winter for weeks. Don't want to deal with frozen pipes bursting while thousands of miles away. Granted, all of this extreme weather occurred mid December to early January and we are going late November.

So yeah im also anxious about weather but more so about home 😬
Wow, that is a lot to worry about, I can't imagine that extreme of weather. We are in Oregon, so overall we get pretty mild weather, rain, rain, rain, rain.. LOL-- hence my worry about SoCal rain, but nothing as extreme as you're talking. If the power goes out, what do you guys do? Its REALLY cold there right? Like at time below freezing?

Wow, that is a lot to worry about, I can't imagine that extreme of weather. We are in Oregon, so overall we get pretty mild weather, rain, rain, rain, rain.. LOL-- hence my worry about SoCal rain, but nothing as extreme as you're talking. If the power goes out, what do you guys do? Its REALLY cold there right? Like at time below freezing?
Thankfully where we live we tend to get less wind due to lots of trees, so our power outages don't usually last long. But we have a gas fireplace that will keep the house semi warm. We need to invest in a generator, many folks do in our area. We get more snow in our area of town, so our main concern is getting snowed in and waiting for plow trucks to come by. Yes it can get below freezing and it usually does, but we are in southcentral AK so it's not as bad as up north. Winters here can be brutal but our summers are amazing!

I dont mind cold weather, we can get cute disney winter gear, i just REALLY don't want wet wet wet :(
Here’s the thing about Southern California weather nowadays - it’s becoming increasingly unpredictable. The other day here in San Diego, it rained all day. The rain was not in the forecast and even when it was drizzling outside, the weather website and apps all still said it was cloudy with no chance of rain. Then it changed to “rain for the next 30 minutes” and it kept saying that all day long. And this is in September, which is usually one of the hottest and driest months of the year here. You could have come this May when the PNW had more sunny days than we had (which was none). May can have some dreary days but an entire month without sun is pretty unheard of. Or August, which is typically a very hot and dry time of year, and ended up with a vacation involving extreme humidity and a tropical storm.

The bottom line is it’s best to plan your trip around the days that work for your family, not worry about what the weather will be other than planning for all possible scenarios when packing. 😂🤣

Last edited:
Here’s the thing about Southern California weather nowadays - it’s becoming increasingly unpredictable. The other day here in San Diego, it rained all day. The rain was not in the forecast and even when it was drizzling outside, the weather website and apps all still said it was cloudy with no chance of rain. Then it changed to “rain for the next 30 minutes” and it kept saying that all day long. And this is in September, which is usually one of the hottest and driest months of the year here. You could have come this May when the PNW had more sunny days than we had (which was none). May can have some dreary days but an entire month without sun is pretty unheard of. Or August, which is typically a very hot and dry time of year, and ended up with a vacation involving extreme humidity and a tropical storm.

The bottom line is it’s best to plan your trip around the days that work for your family, not worry about what the weather will be other than planning for all possible scenarios when packing. 😂🤣
Thank you for this well thought and thoughful response! These days do work for our family and our hope to see Christmas time at the parks! Here is to hoping we get lucky!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter