Egypt, wait for ABD or Abercrombie & Kent?

Raya

DIS Veteran
We had reservations on the Egypt ABD trip before the Arab Spring. We've been waiting for ABD to head back there, but it doesn't seem to be happening. Some of the family members are getting older, and we're worried about this 'once in a lifetime' trip becoming difficult.

We've gotten some recommendations for Abercrombie & Kent tours, and could make things happen maybe as soon as this year.... but will it be as good as ABD? OTOH, I feel safe about going with ABD, so maybe we should wait?

We had a destination manager on our ABD Costa Rica trip last March... we asked her about the Egypt itinerary and it didn't sound like there were any immediate plans to offer it. Some relatives have been considering traveling there as well, but we discouraged them after hearing about this tour bus incident from December (this site won't let me post the link... google "tour bus bombing Egypt December 2018")

We had a destination manager on our ABD Costa Rica trip last March... we asked her about the Egypt itinerary and it didn't sound like there were any immediate plans to offer it. Some relatives have been considering traveling there as well, but we discouraged them after hearing about this tour bus incident from December (this site won't let me post the link... google "tour bus bombing Egypt December 2018")
:eek::eek::eek:

Yep, I don't think I'll be going to Egypt any time soon. Honestly, the whole requirement that Egypt has to have armed guards accompany any tour groups really kind of turned me off to the whole idea!

Sayhello

We had reservations on the Egypt ABD trip before the Arab Spring. We've been waiting for ABD to head back there, but it doesn't seem to be happening. Some of the family members are getting older, and we're worried about this 'once in a lifetime' trip becoming difficult.

We've gotten some recommendations for Abercrombie & Kent tours, and could make things happen maybe as soon as this year.... but will it be as good as ABD? OTOH, I feel safe about going with ABD, so maybe we should wait?
To answer the one of your questions, Abercrombie & Kent is a pretty highly rated tour operator. They tend to be even pricier than ABD. I personally haven't traveled with them, but I know there have been some others on this Forum who have. You might want to post in the Other Options thread to specifically ask for opinions on Ambercrombie & Kent.

Sayhello

:eek::eek::eek:

Yep, I don't think I'll be going to Egypt any time soon. Honestly, the whole requirement that Egypt has to have armed guards accompany any tour groups really kind of turned me off to the whole idea!

Sayhello

What specifically is the requirement to have armed guards in Egypt?

There are armed guards in US airports and your local police. How is that any different?

-Paul

What specifically is the requirement to have armed guards in Egypt?

There are armed guards in US airports and your local police. How is that any different?

-Paul
When ABD announced their Egypt trip, there was a footnote that the Egyptian government required them to have an armed guard *on the trip with us*. Like on the bus, in the museums and historic sites, at our meals. I really don't particularly want to travel with an armed guard on the bus. That's just my preference.

Sayhello

I got an email earlier this week that Thomson Family Adventures is introducing an Egypt trip this year. Did make me wonder if ABD would follow.

I wouldn't recommend traveling with Abercrombie and Kent to Egypt. If they miss a stop(s) on your Egypt tour due to "circumstances beyond their control", they won't reimburse you or offer something suitable (unless you consider something like a movie in the hotel conference room something "similar"). They will stick to the wording of their contract. In a place like Egypt I wouldn't want to go all the way there and then only see a few sites that were on the itinerary and have them cite the contract back to you verbatim when you voice your concerns. I'd definitely go with another tour operator.

We have travelled with both abd and Abercrombie and Kent family and wouldn’t hesitate to use abercrombie again. In fact, I feel like the number of guests they are packing in abd trips now compared to the smaller numbers of a and k travelers is so much better. Goood luck!!

I have a desire to see Egypt one day but I wouldn’t go anytime soon. I have a neighbor who had to go for work and his work made him take out a special “tragedy insurance” idk. So yeah not going anytime soon without a well vetted tour company...maybe... and lots of reviews.

We (my husband, mom, aunt and myself) went to Egypt independently last summer (2018). DO NOT be afraid to go! DO NOT listen to the news. This is not a political statement - it's what we experienced and learned while we were there. We are seasoned travelers (first time to North Africa) and we never felt afraid or unwelcome and did not have guards with us. There is a lot of security everywhere. You can't get in a museum parking lot, monument entrance, etc.. without going through army security. Egypt learned from their security mistakes. Almost a year later we talk about how wonderful our trip and will go back in a few years when our kids are a bit older (in order to remember it, not for safety issues). My mom and aunt met us in Cairo after taking a guided tour of Israel and Jordan. Jordan was the only place they had random guards with them. We flew into Cairo and stayed at the Four Seasons for 3 nights. The FS arranged a private guide and a driver who took us everywhere. With the devaluation of the Egyptian dollar the FH was less than a night at a Hampton Inn at home and our private guide for our group was less than one night at a Disney deluxe hotel. I highly highly encourage going. Do NOT be afraid. You will never regret going. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me any time. :)

EDIT: I want to add that we also flew to Luxor for 3 days after Cairo and had a private guide there as well. Truly, never felt afraid or unwelcome. Never needed guards anywhere. The Egyptian tour guides are licensed by the Egyptian Tourism Board (Bureau?). They are required to pass rigorous exams - they know their stuff! The very sad reality is that since tourism has dropped (but is rising again) tour guides struggle to stay employed and many have left the tourism industry. I have NO connection to any travel company and don't remember the last time I used a travel agent (although I am not against it). If you have any desire to go to Egypt definitely go. You can arrange the trip yourself: stay at a high end luxury hotel (the exchange rate is fabulous for tourists, bad for Egypt though) and ask the hotel to arrange for a tour guide. You will have a personalized, fabulous trip with Egyptian experts for a fraction of what you would pay with a tour group.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter