Egypt January 2, 2024 trip report

We arrived in Cairo today. As soon as we disembarked the plane, a representative was waiting to greet us. We were whisked through an exit door that was clearly not for regular passengers to exit. From there we were picked up by a car and whisked a short distance away and into lounge. We handed over our passports and luggage receipts. A little over an hour later, the representative came to get us. We now had visas in our passports and our luggage had been picked up. I couldn’t describe the inside of the Cairo airport because we practically didn’t see it.

Our driver and local guide handling transfers to ABD took us to the hotel. We are at the Nile Ritz Carlton. Mohammed, the local logistics guide took care of our check in process with our passports while we waited chit chatting with friends who are also on the trip with us. There was a form to sign and we received the welcome letter and our key cards. Upon entering the room, I thought we were put in a smoking room by mistake. We went back down to request a non smoking room since I have asthma which would be triggered in no time. Apparently it was a non smoking room. I’m guessing a previous guest decided to smoke. We were placed in another room which was perfectly fine.

We decided to go to dinner at the on site Italian restaurant, Vivo. The seafood risotto and osso buco were both good!

View attachment 822051
View attachment 822052

View attachment 822053
View attachment 822054
View attachment 822055
Kind of a weird question, but what are the bathrooms (shower and toilet specifically) like?

This morning we had a welcome breakfast at the hotel and officially met the group and our Egyptologist. Afterwards we were bussed to the Mohamed Ali Mosque and Citadel. At this mosque we only needed shoulders and knees covered. We were not required to remove our shoes but we were given shoe covers prior to entering the mosque. It was quite lovely. Afterwards we were bussed to have a group lunch and then off to the Cairo museum.

IMG_1075.jpeg
IMG_0958.jpeg
IMG_0940.jpeg
IMG_0992.jpeg
IMG_0994.jpeg
IMG_1079.jpeg
IMG_0984.jpeg
IMG_0985.jpeg
IMG_1078.jpeg
IMG_1077.jpeg

If the Cairo museum was open to the public during your visit, then that is a major negative in comparison to Nat Geo. Seeing it after hours at night also heightened our experience.
I just read your TR on Egypt. I’m sorry your experience was like that. This is our 12th ABD. The only NatGeo I have done was their collaboration with Lindblad for the Antarctica trip. That was amazing!

Yes, a private after hours visit of the Cairo museum is definitely nice. That must be a NatGeo exclusive I am guessing. ABD also has some exclusive opportunities as well. I believe we will be experiencing one of those tomorrow. I will share the experience here since we already have a thread asking about what the exclusives are that ABD offers. Plus it has been mentioned before.

Our guides Mike from Boston, our local guide is Karim and our Egyptologist are all fantastic! They mingle with everyone, are super friendly and approachable and everything we have come to expect from ABD.

I just read your TR on Egypt. I’m sorry your experience was like that. This is our 12th ABD. The only NatGeo I have done was their collaboration with Lindblad for the Antarctica trip. That was amazing!

Yes, a private after hours visit of the Cairo museum is definitely nice. That must be a NatGeo exclusive I am guessing. ABD also has some exclusive opportunities as well. I believe we will be experiencing one of those tomorrow. I will share the experience here since we already have a thread asking about what the exclusives are that ABD offers. Plus it has been mentioned before.

Our guides Mike from Boston, our local guide is Karim and our Egyptologist are all fantastic! They mingle with everyone, are super friendly and approachable and everything we have come to expect from ABD.
Mike T from Boston is great! He was one of the Guides on my New England ABD! Gotta love the accent! :D

Sayhello

Is Kira not one of the guides on this trip? I've been seeing her Instagram posts from Egypt so I assumed she'd be one of your guides.

Last night at dinner our guides gave us a lesson on haggling and what final reasonable prices were. This morning they gave each of us 300 Egyptian pounds, about $10 and our mission was to purchase a white elephant gift.

Afterwards, we had lunch at Naguib Mahfouz restaurant. The food was really good! Egyptian falafel is different and we also ate pigeon! The rice stuffing was really good as was everything they served.

Later on we went to see the pyramids in Giza and then the Sphinx. The exclusive access to the Sphinx was amazing. ABD was the only group that was allowed past the barrier and right in between the paws when we went.

We went back to the pyramids and were able to go inside to the King and Queen’s rooms after hours. The ABD group were the only ones doing that activity.

We ended with a buffet dinner at Mena House.

IMG_1334.jpeg

IMG_1375.jpeg

IMG_1430.jpeg

IMG_1249.jpeg
IMG_1135.jpeg
IMG_1432.jpeg
IMG_1433.jpeg
IMG_1435.jpeg
IMG_1437.jpeg
IMG_1434.jpeg

Is Kira not one of the guides on this trip? I've been seeing her Instagram posts from Egypt so I assumed she'd be one of your guides.
No we have Mike from Boston, Karim is our local guide and our Egyptologist Nerrmeen. They have been outstanding!!

Last edited:
Last night at dinner our guides gave us a lesson on haggling and what final reasonable prices were. This morning they gave each of us 300 Egyptian pounds, about $10 and our mission was to purchase a white elephant gift.

Afterwards, we had lunch at Naguib Mahfouz restaurant. The food was really good! Egyptian falafel is different and we also ate pigeon! The rice stuffing was really good as was everything they served.

Later on we went to see the pyramids in Giza and then the Sphinx. The exclusive access to the Sphinx was amazing. ABD was the only group that was allowed past the barrier and right in between the paws when we went.

We went back to the pyramids and were able to go inside to the King and Queen’s rooms after hours. The ABD group were the only ones doing that activity.

View attachment 822932

View attachment 822933

View attachment 822941

View attachment 822934
View attachment 822935
View attachment 822942
View attachment 822943
View attachment 822944
View attachment 822945
View attachment 822946
#travelgoals 😍😍😍

I will find a way to do this one day with my girl! DH will fund ALL the trips as long as he gets to stay home 🙃 and my girl loves to travel just like her mama! So far I’ve copied all of your trip itineraries in my bucket list. Thank you for always sharing your tips and tricks! Especially now that you saved me from plans B-E so I know to choose plan A 🤣😂

I asked Kira if she was doing this tour, since I knew people who were going to be on it, and she said she was heading home after her December trip.

View attachment 822932

View attachment 822933

View attachment 822941

View attachment 822934
View attachment 822935
View attachment 822942
View attachment 822943
View attachment 822944
View attachment 822945
View attachment 822946
That's some seriously amazing exclusive ABD access! ❤️

Sayhello

View attachment 822932

View attachment 822933

View attachment 822941

View attachment 822934
View attachment 822935
View attachment 822942
View attachment 822943
View attachment 822944
View attachment 822945
View attachment 822946
Did you mean private access to the Valley of the Kings and the Valley of the Queens? I don't recall any Kings or Queens rooms at the pyramids. I hope your meal at the Mena House went better than ours, which is where all but one of the men got sick.

#travelgoals 😍😍😍

I will find a way to do this one day with my girl! DH will fund ALL the trips as long as he gets to stay home 🙃 and my girl loves to travel just like her mama! So far I’ve copied all of your trip itineraries in my bucket list. Thank you for always sharing your tips and tricks! Especially now that you saved me from plans B-E so I know to choose plan A 🤣😂
Glad the tips and tricks help! This is truly an amazing trip!
I asked Kira if she was doing this tour, since I knew people who were going to be on it, and she said she was heading home after her December trip.

That's some seriously amazing exclusive ABD access! ❤️

Sayhello
That’s what I was thinking. I felt like yesterday alone made the trip for me. Everything else is a bonus 😂
Did you mean private access to the Valley of the Kings and the Valley of the Queens? I don't recall any Kings or Queens rooms at the pyramids. I hope your meal at the Mena House went better than ours, which is where all but one of the men got sick.
No we haven’t reached Luxor yet. This was the pyramids in Giza, I believe we were in the pyramid of Khufu. I said King and Queen’s room but I suppose the proper term is burial chamber. Here are some pics. I am only 5 feet tall and that is how far I had to bend to get through some of the tunnels. Some of climbing is steep. Some folks wound up turning back and some only made it to one chamber and some folks opted out. It was quite warm inside the chambers and the weather is cool out. I broke a sweat and was slightly winded but I am also not work out girl, I’m read a book girl. Our guide Mike reminded me to bring my inhaler just in case. I love that he was looking out. I tend to forget brining it with me on physical activities. Fortunately though I didn’t need to use it.

IMG_1392.jpeg
IMG_1438.jpeg
IMG_1439.jpeg
IMG_1396.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1400.jpeg
    IMG_1400.jpeg
    81.2 KB · Views: 3
So this morning we got a bonus experience. We went to visit the National Museum of Egyptian Civilization. It was a very cool experience. We were allowed to take pictures except for the mummy room. The museum and mummy room are well laid out. Our Egyptologist explained everything we were seeing. However guides are not allowed in the mummy room.

Chariot
IMG_1507.jpeg
IMG_1508.jpeg

Leather work and sarcophagus
IMG_1509.jpeg

Actual ancient bread
IMG_1457.jpeg
IMG_1458.jpeg

IMG_1496.jpeg
IMG_1498.jpeg
IMG_1474.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1506.jpeg
    IMG_1506.jpeg
    118.1 KB · Views: 2
That’s what I was thinking. I felt like yesterday alone made the trip for me. Everything else is a bonus 😂
I can only imagine!!

Our guide Mike reminded me to bring my inhaler just in case. I love that he was looking out. I tend to forget brining it with me on physical activities. Fortunately though I didn’t need to use it.
Yep, that so sounds like Mike!

I probably would have *tried* the chambers, but I'm not too sure how far I'd've gotten!

Sayhello

Pretty sure I stubbornly would make it to the end one way or another..! I do run 2-3 miles a 3x times a week, but no core strength for all that crouching! Were the 6’+ folk able to make it..? My husband is 6’1.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter