Eggs-plaining the Egg-stravaganza -- The 2016 Hunt Is Over!!!

We went the week before Easter last year and had no problems getting maps at both parks. When we left on the Wednesday before Easter, they were still selling them. Hope that is the case this year too!

We will be at Disney 3/19-3/26 and I really want to do this. I just looked on ebay thinking I could buy the maps there and there are listings with a set of eggs and all three maps. Of course, at a mark up. I wonder if it would be worth it to do that just to make sure we secure one of each map set. We will making the long drive home on Easter Sunday and it might be a fun surprise to have some of the other eggs set aside to give dd also. I don't usually like to overpay, but this time it might be worth it!

edited to add: I am going to do this. It feels a bit wasteful $-wise, but since it is something we will really want to do I am telling myself it is not more wasteful than paying for a dining package to get a better view of Fantasmic! or WoC. We have done that in the past because those were important aspects of our trips. This will be a highlight of this trip and worth it in the end.

Just be forewarned...the maps from last year won't necessarily be the same as this year. The egg photos on the blog are not the same as last year. The maps last year had a clue so you kinda knew where to look, and then you put the matching sticker on the map (matching the egg you found). If you have last year's maps...not only would the sticker not match the egg, but the location may not be the same.

Just be forewarned...the maps from last year won't necessarily be the same as this year. The egg photos on the blog are not the same as last year. The maps last year had a clue so you kinda knew where to look, and then you put the matching sticker on the map (matching the egg you found). If you have last year's maps...not only would the sticker not match the egg, but the location may not be the same.
What I was looking at on ebay is a 'preorder' of this year's, but I did contact one of the sellers re: being able to use the maps they are selling to do the hunt and redeem for an egg while we are there as I was buying mostly to get the maps....what is included in the auction will be already redeemed/marked maps and we will want the fun of redeeming them ourselves even if we don't have as many egg prize choices. We will just have to take our chances on the maps still being available when we get there as it seems silly to pay so much for the eggs/redeemed maps. We are not 'collectors'. I imagine it would be worth it for those that are and cannot make it down there during the hunt.

Thanks for giving me a heads up just in case!

Just so no one misunderstands -- the maps are not available for pre-order in any official capacity. They can't be ordered online in an official way, so anything on ebay is not what you want. I strongly suggest waiting to get the maps. I am quite certain that Disney ordered more maps this year since it is a longer event than in previous years.

Wow, I hope they have special rabbit meet & greets but the parks blog didn't give me much hope. :cool:

She just doesn't know yet (meaning Michelle at the Parks Blog). The Egg-stravaganza and the Springtime Roundup were two totally separate things, while still being part of Disneyland Resort's Spring activities. Michelle's blog was about the egg hunt, not the characters. Someone else would likely do a blog about the Disney rabbits, and probably not Michelle. I wouldn't lose hope. I think that some of the Disney rabbits will be out -- but they will be stationed somewhere new. Some of them were even out way back in 2013, before there was a Springtime Roundup!

Last edited:
Who's doing the Egg-stravaganza this week? Anyone? Make sure to report back here -- in this thread -- with your thoughts after hunting. Is anyone taking on all 3 of the hunts, or only 2, or only 1?

I'm doing it this week, and I will come back with a rundown of sorts, or just general thoughts.

I just got off the phone with Disney Dining and the Main Park info #. I was so hoping that the characters at Minnie’s would be wearing bunny ears and/or bonnets starting on Wednesday. It does not sadly sound as if they will be. If anyone does go to Minnie’s Wednesday or later (once the Egg-stravaganza has started) please post and let us know for sure. I would appreciate it. Dining transferred me over to the main park # where I asked about bunnies being out and about at Disneyland in general. The lady I talked to of course said no Springtime Roundup as in years past. She also made it sound like as of right now, there were no plans for any character bunnies which if true sure is sad. Has anyone heard any info on this or know if Toontown characters (even Mickey and Minnie at their homes will be Easter dressed)?

Sherry, I wish you an egg-cellent time! When are you going? Lol, if you are going on any day other than Thursday and you’d like company let me know :D

Last edited:
Who's doing the Egg-stravaganza this week? Anyone? Make sure to report back here -- in this thread -- with your thoughts after hunting. Is anyone taking on all 3 of the hunts, or only 2, or only 1?

I'm doing it this week, and I will come back with a rundown of sorts, or just general thoughts.

3 hunts? I must have missed something- what is the third hunt (one at each park and then...)? Ooh, 3 hunts is egg-citing!

I just got off the phone with Disney Dining and the Main Park info #. I was so hoping that the characters at Minnie’s would be wearing bunny ears and/or bonnets starting on Wednesday. It does not sadly sound as if they will be. If anyone does go to Minnie’s Wednesday or later (once the Egg-stravaganza has started) please post and let us know for sure. I would appreciate it. Dining transferred me over to the main park # where I asked about bunnies being out and about at Disneyland in general. The lady I talked to of course said no Springtime Roundup as in years past. She also made it sound like as of right now, there were no plans for any character bunnies which if true sure is sad. Has anyone heard any info on this?

Sherry, I wish you an egg-cellent time! When are you going? Lol, if you are going on any day other than Thursday and you’d like company let me know :D

Unfortunately, this trip is going to be a mission for me. I have to knock out a bunch of tasks on my list of things to do and take photos of (for future articles/blogs I am writing), and I am going to be running around like a madwoman. I won't have any time to meet up with anyone on this particular day.

Remember that the Egg-stravaganza has nothing to do with characters. It has nothing to do with the Disney rabbits greeting anyone in the parks, nor does it have to do with characters wearing bunny ears at Minnie & Friends (which I have never seen or heard of). The Egg-stravaganza is just the name of the egg hunting event. Any other springtime activities or highlights at DLR are totally separate, and not guaranteed to begin on Wednesday.

As I have mentioned here before, I strongly suspect that some Disney rabbits will be out to greet guests at some point in March, and maybe even in April. They were out even back in 2013, before there was a Springtime Roundup. The cast members on the phone don't know. The characters/Disney rabbits may not be out in this week, but I would bet that at least some of them will be out before Easter.

3 hunts? I must have missed something- what is the third hunt (one at each park and then...)? Ooh, 3 hunts is egg-citing!

Yes, 3 -- one in each park, and then one for Downtown Disney and the hotels! The DTD/hotel aspect is brand new this year!

Thanks, Sherry and have a great time. Hop a bit slowly (sounds like you will have a jam packed day) and smell the....carrots? :D

:lmao: I love that -- stop and smell the carrots! Stop and smell the Easter grass too!

I'll keep an eye out for Disney rabbits for you, but I tend to think that they won't be out in the park(s) quite yet. My hunch is that they will possibly be out closer to Easter, or maybe for a couple of weeks leading up to Easter. They will have to be set up somewhere, and that could be in Critter Country.

Glad you liked that and thanks for keeping an ear out for me :) Closer to Easter, I will be busy with church and choir and would rather go before mid- March. With our summer-like weather we can wear bunny ear bonnet (I’ve seen a cute one at 99 Cent Only) and be all set for an egg-cellent adventure.

I will be there on Friday and Saturday and i'm really looking forward to doing at least one of the hunts. I would love to do more, but I have upgraded to the DLH so now I'm planning some lounging by the pool as well! We all have our priorities :)

I will be there on Friday and Saturday and i'm really looking forward to doing at least one of the hunts. I would love to do more, but I have upgraded to the DLH so now I'm planning some lounging by the pool as well! We all have our priorities :)

I know what you mean. One of my "priorities" is hunting down some strawberry shortcake... somewhere, somehow. Now that it seems we are done with colder weather (unfortunately for me -- I loved the nights that were in the 30s and 40s!), my tastes are changing from gingerbread and peppermint to strawberry and lemon. The egg hunting is my first priority, but strawberry shortcake is not far behind! Lol.

I just happened to notice that Michelle from the Parks Blog finally returned to respond to several comments under her original Egg-stravaganza blog (I am sure she is super swamped and doesn't have a lot of time to reply), and in one of the responses she mentioned that this year people will be able to pick the prize (mini-character egg) that they want. She specifically mentioned that in the past there was an "egg scramble" to pick an egg (that is what the colored dome half-eggs are in my photos on page 1 of this thread -- they are part of the egg scramble), but this time around people can choose what they want.

Her specific comment is:

"...You do actually get to pick which egg you want, again, based on availability. In the past we have had an egg-scramble game, but this year, it will be a little easier, as we will let you choose the egg you want."

I would normally refer you to look for comment #10 or #12 or whatever number, but since the Parks Blog changed its layout there are no more numbers next to the comments. In any case, you can read all of Michelle's replies (and mine! :lmao:) to many of the egg-y questions -- HERE.

:daisy::rose::butterfly

Looking forward to this, especially the new DTD/Hotel search. As always, thank you Sherry for all of your updates, info and insight!!! I'll have to avoid this thread next week due to spoilers :)

I thought I read somewhere that the prize eggs this year are the six they keep on showing in some of their promotional pics (Stitch, Cheshire Cat, Mickey, Minnie, Woody, and Jessie). Would you happen to know if this is true?

Looking forward to this, especially the new DTD/Hotel search. As always, thank you Sherry for all of your updates, info and insight!!! I'll have to avoid this thread next week due to spoilers :)

I thought I read somewhere that the prize eggs this year are the six they keep on showing in some of their promotional pics (Stitch, Cheshire Cat, Mickey, Minnie, Woody, and Jessie). Would you happen to know if this is true?

You're very welcome!

I think those eggs in that photo that keeps popping up are the prize eggs this year (that seems to be what Michelle at the Parks Blog was saying), though there could be a couple of extras thrown in that are not in that photo. If those are the ones we will get, I'm going for the Cheshire Cat egg, the Stitch egg, and I'm not sure about the third one yet.

As for spoilers -- when I come back from hunting I am not going to post any blatant spoilers right away. I will make general comments about my experience, and if there is another misleading clue on the map (as there was last year and in 2014), I might not come out right away and tell you what it is -- but I will say that there is a misleading clue to be aware of.

Personally -- and this is how I felt last year too -- I really don't think spoilers are necessary because these eggs are large and so easy to find in most cases. You will see half of them without even trying, most likely. It's a hunt designed for small children, so it's not too challenging except for the occasional misleading clue. However, last year it seemed that everyone wanted spoilers -- perhaps because they thought the hunt might be more difficult than it actually was? -- and we don't need more than one Egg-stravaganza thread. So that's why I am allowing spoilers here if people would like to post them, but I'm personally not going to give any specifics right off the bat -- not at first. Maybe a week or two into the hunting I might be more specific.

Thank you @Mary Jo for giving me the link to this post! This was so helpful and now I am so excited to try it out this week!

Welcome (and thank you, Mary Jo, for referring Cydney here!)!

It's a fun event -- not too challenging or difficult, but if you like hunting for things (as I do), it's fun to hunt around the entirety of Disneyland Resort. This year promises to be even more fun with the addition of Downtown Disney and the Disney hotels too. I can't wait to hit the ground running as I 'scramble' around the parks, in search of eggs!

You're welcome. :)

I'm looking forward to reading about your experiences, and will try and look for the eggs, too, but not sure when. I love when Disney does this. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter