• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

**Edit: Sales to resume on 1/17** Disneyland to Resume Selling Select Magic Key Pass Today

The later half of this is making me facepalm. Because if this is true than this is twice in the last month I’ve heard of the execs having 0 clue what they actually own in terms of actual value.

And that makes me question just how in the world they have their job if they literally can’t apparently tell the value of their own parts of the company
The thing is those execs don't come from a theme parks background. They come from a media background. It's not surprising they don't understand the parks side of things.

The thing is those execs don't come from a theme parks background. They come from a media background. It's not surprising they don't understand the parks side of things.
This makes me think of JCP when they brought in the guy from Apple. He removed sales from the store, removed coupons, thought to do all these micro stores within the store, etc. It ruined JCP in profits and they've been struggling ever since. They weren't in the best position to begin with but the guy didn't understand sales and coupons were core to JCP customers literally that's what the consumers of the store sought out that store for, these micro stores were hardly a good idea, etc. It was just basically someone who has experience but not relevant experience to the store. The damage was done even after a reversal of most of those decisions.

This makes me think of JCP when they brought in the guy from Apple. He removed sales from the store, removed coupons, thought to do all these micro stores within the store, etc. It ruined JCP in profits and they've been struggling ever since. They weren't in the best position to begin with but the guy didn't understand sales and coupons were core to JCP customers literally that's what the consumers of the store sought out that store for, these micro stores were hardly a good idea, etc. It was just basically someone who has experience but not relevant experience to the store. The damage was done even after a reversal of most of those decisions.
The board is also a big problem. They like the direction the company is in. IMO Disney would be better off to selling the parks to one of the other major park companies and be a media company.

Yeah here’s the thing is the other thing I’m thinking of is media related.

But since they don’t understand social media either apparently or probably the managers who I guessed tried to explain it to them it took an over zealous response to that for them to get a clue.

If Disney is going to limit the passes as strictly as they appear to have done with this round, then they need to introduce some sort of lottery system, like the National Parks do for certain recreational permits. The NPS knows the number of passes it's going to issue, and I daresay Disney did too. All can enter the lottery knowing that they may or may not get their pass. Open a lottery 'pool' for each pass level and set a drawing date. Numbers are drawn to equal the passes being offered, 'winners' are notified by email and given the link/phone number with a code to purchase the pass. No horrendous hours in a 'waiting room' then being bombed out.

Sure, people are going to be disappointed if their name is not 'drawn' but at least they won't be biting their nails for 10 hours in a virtual queue only to find out the passes are gone. Instead they can wait calmly until 'drawing day' and then simply check their email throughout the day.

If Disney is going to limit the passes as strictly as they appear to have done with this round, then they need to introduce some sort of lottery system, like the National Parks do for certain recreational permits. The NPS knows the number of passes it's going to issue, and I daresay Disney did too. All can enter the lottery knowing that they may or may not get their pass. Open a lottery 'pool' for each pass level and set a drawing date. Numbers are drawn to equal the passes being offered, 'winners' are notified by email and given the link/phone number with a code to purchase the pass. No horrendous hours in a 'waiting room' then being bombed out.

Sure, people are going to be disappointed if their name is not 'drawn' but at least they won't be biting their nails for 10 hours in a virtual queue only to find out the passes are gone. Instead they can wait calmly until 'drawing day' and then simply check their email throughout the day.

The reason this wouldn't work is families. People may need to purchase more than one pass. This type of thing works for tangible items where each person only needs to buy one, like pairs of shoes. In fact, my son FINALLY now has some Lightning McQueen adult Crocs because I won the lottery this year!

As a SDCC attendee. You don't want this. Even if you were allowed to buy more than 1 pass like in SDCC, families vary in number. Let's say you can buy 4 passes, but you have 3 kids, so who do you leave out? Yourself? another adult? one kid? What of families with 6 members? Or 8? Do they need to win the lottery twice for them all to be able to purchase?

Lets say there is no limit to the amount of MKs you can buy. How do they control inventory then?

Reading things here and compiling thoughts from various ither groups and social media I have come to the conclusion that this was purely opened to new sales in regards to those who did not renew.

My reason for saying that is the following :

ZERO leaks or rumors about the sales starting. In today's age this is nearly unheard of. There is almost always SOME kind of rumor online when price increases or major changes are coming. This really felt like the scenario of having a morning meeting then opening the gates to see how fast it goes. And even myself who keeps up on both coasts Disney news , did not see them selling out THIS fast.

I expected Believe to sell out first but not within hours and never saw Inspire selling out as quickly. So I stand by the idea that this was not planned put but a spontaneous knee jerk reaction from executives looking at their bottom line. They know this much : Disneyland is still a "locals" park vs a resort destination and dangled that carrot enough to see the pent up demand.

Well I never made it past the Woody please wait screen. so far there is no pending charge on my credit card. I sent in an email request about the problem on the web site and I was told in a reply to put it in a message on the Disneyland app. now it is there as well. maybe if it is in the system somewhere something can be done. I'm kind of 50/50 on this. I'm a long time AP holder so I used to visit the parks a lot but I haven't since the pandemic. in the grand scheme of things maybe it's better if I don't get a MK. I've gotten used to not going to the parks.
another half day wasted. over 4 hours on the phone. the MK is in my cart still. yesterday the purchase didn't get processed due to an error on their end. the cast member was nice but the bottom line is Disney can't process it now because sales are locked out. I'm just slightly disappointed that I didn't get the pass. as a shareholder, I am more disappointed at the way the company is being run (into the ground?)

Wasn't Chapek in charge of the Parks division for several years prior to him getting promoted to CEO?

The board is also a big problem. They like the direction the company is in. IMO Disney would be better off to selling the parks to one of the other major park companies and be a media company.

Twitter? How well would Musk run the parks?

As a SDCC attendee. You don't want this. Even if you were allowed to buy more than 1 pass like in SDCC, families vary in number. Let's say you can buy 4 passes, but you have 3 kids, so who do you leave out? Yourself? another adult? one kid? What of families with 6 members? Or 8? Do they need to win the lottery twice for them all to be able to purchase?

Lets say there is no limit to the amount of MKs you can buy. How do they control inventory then?

Is there currently a cap on the number of passes someone buys? If not, then a lottery system with no 'cap' wouldn't be any different than the 'rules' are now.

The reason this wouldn't work is families. People may need to purchase more than one pass. This type of thing works for tangible items where each person only needs to buy one, like pairs of shoes. In fact, my son FINALLY now has some Lightning McQueen adult Crocs because I won the lottery this year!

You could enter for more than one pass, but have to provide names and birthdates for each person on your 'ticket' and the passes would only be issued in those names. That should allow for large families and also hopefully hinder people who want to buy eleventy-billion passes for 'nefarious reasons'.

But hey, it was just a suggestion.

Is there currently a cap on the number of passes someone buys? If not, then a lottery system with no 'cap' wouldn't be any different than the 'rules' are now.

You could enter for more than one pass, but have to provide names and birthdates for each person on your 'ticket' and the passes would only be issued in those names. That should allow for large families and also hopefully hinder people who want to buy eleventy-billion passes for 'nefarious reasons'.

But hey, it was just a suggestion.
What nefarious reasons would someone buy multiple passes for? They can’t be resold and people can only have one active pass at a time…

apparently there was a hack to bypass (cut the line) the queue:scratchin
from disneydining.com article:
As shown in the tweet below, @Ryanthemepark took to social media to share, “This is a Disney IT problem. Here is a link to the INSPIRE Magic Key sales page. It will bypass the queue. And if replace “inspire” in the URL with believe or imagine it will take you to those Magic Key sales pages as well.” Check out the link in the tweet below:

link to article:
https://www.disneydining.com/hack-to-bypass-queue-for-buying-disneyland-annual-passes-js1/

apparently there was a hack to bypass (cut the line) the queue:scratchin
from disneydining.com article:
As shown in the tweet below, @Ryanthemepark took to social media to share, “This is a Disney IT problem. Here is a link to the INSPIRE Magic Key sales page. It will bypass the queue. And if replace “inspire” in the URL with believe or imagine it will take you to those Magic Key sales pages as well.” Check out the link in the tweet below:

link to article:
https://www.disneydining.com/hack-to-bypass-queue-for-buying-disneyland-annual-passes-js1/
Thank you for posting this.

It makes the way Disney handled this even worse than we thought. I hope they do better next time for the online buyers.
It makes a stronger case for going to the park to a ticket booth when sales do resume at Disney World.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter