**Edit: Sales to resume on 1/17** Disneyland to Resume Selling Select Magic Key Pass Today

This sucks. I'm so sorry to everyone who tried but couldn't get in.

I just wish Disney would be more transparent about all of this. (As in giving people a heads up about sales, and tempering expectations when it comes to how long sales might last, etc.) But, that's unlikely at this point.
Same.

I'm more than a bit frustrated right now because I've been dealing with medical hell for the past couple of weeks. And I only found out about this by complete accident when in my doctors.

Just a bit of a heads up would have been nice because depending on your activity online you might not even see something. And that lead to me only finding out this was a thing 3 hours ago.

I think its worse because I actually was in the under an hour to go finall. And then the queue closed.

Same.

I'm more than a bit frustrated right now because I've been dealing with medical hell for the past couple of weeks. And I only found out about this by complete accident when in my doctors.

Just a bit of a heads up would have been nice because depending on your activity online you might not even see something. And that lead to me only finding out this was a thing 3 hours ago.

They didn't even announce it on their official social media pages from what I can tell! I only heard about it as early as I did because I follow Scott Gustin on Twitter. (And I work from home so I am terminally online.) So unless you're following Disney bloggers/influencers or are on these boards, you definitely would miss it entirely or way too late. I'm guessing that was the point, but still... YIKES.

A couple people have theorized that this batch was just an arbitrary amount to replace the people who didn't renew between August and November, and as quick as they shut it down, I kinda buy it. It's an intangible item, they can technically sell as many as they want, but they chose to stop at a certain number instead.

They didn't even announce it on their official social media pages from what I can tell! I only heard about it as early as I did because I follow Scott Gustin on Twitter. (And I work from home so I am terminally online.) So unless you're following Disney bloggers/influencers or are on these boards, you definitely would miss it entirely or way too late. I'm guessing that was the point, but still... YIKES.

A couple people have theorized that this batch was just an arbitrary amount to replace the people who didn't renew between August and November, and as quick as they shut it down, I kinda buy it. It's an intangible item, they can technically sell as many as they want, but they chose to stop at a certain number instead.
Just frustrating because I'm in CA anyway three times between now and the end of January. And could have gotten good use out of the pass.

I'm normally fairly good about being online especially on TikTok. But after last weeks event I was taking it easy with social media. And nothing had come up until around 2 pm my time (MST). I only found out because that was when a FB group update status finally showed up for me.

Edit: Ignore the March thing I realize that doesn't make much sense. But I've got serious brain fog

I am still seething.

Cancelled multiple dining reservations, including Club 33 for four and one guided tour.

Listed my Dec 1 VGC reservation on Redweek.

Will rent my Jan, April, and September reservations as well.

I am just done with Disney for the foreseeable future. Not giving them any more of my $, except my DVC dues. But I will use my DVC points to undercut them on hotel prices.

Sayonara Disney Plus.

Until they get their act together and start treating their customers a little better, I’m just out!

Last edited:
I don't see them changing any time soon. It's working and until people stop coming, which will probably happen as the economy, and Disney with it, continues to tank. Maybe in a few more years, they'll have to unwind some of these changes but the parks are the big money makers.

Safe to say all those not renewing mean nothing. Everyone wants an annual pass who got locked out initially. Sad to see the keys become unavailable so quickly, or moreover sad they only have a limited supply to offer. They might as well made it a black Friday special, cause that's exactly what it was like. I joined the queue at 12am and at 1pm the queue stated 54 minutes left. I wanted the Imagine, can't justify any other pass due to my current schedule.

I almost can't believe Disney went ahead with this plan the day after the whole Ticketmaster Taylor Swift debacle and essentially did the SAME THING. They really don't know how to read the room. Now they are gonna get bad press too.

I ALMOST can't believe it...

I am still seething.

Cancelled multiple dining reservations, including Club 33 for four and one guided tour.

Listed my Dec 1 VGC reservation on Redweek.

Will rent my Jan, April, and September reservations as well.

I am just done with Disney for the foreseeable future. Not giving them any more of my $, except my DVC dues. But I will use my DVC points to undercut them on hotel prices.

Sayonara Disney Plus.

Until they get their act together and start treating their customers a little better, I’m just out!

Wait, wait wait. Do you own at GCV or in WDW? If so, that's really crazy you wouldn't have an opportunity to get an annual pass. So much for 'Welcome Home!"

Not to say what happened to you wasn't bad enough, but owning at DLR would just make it extra ridiculous

Last edited:
Wait, wait wait. Do you own at GCV or in WDW? If so, that's really crazy you wouldn't have an opportunity to get an annual pass. So much for 'Welcome Home!"

Not to say what happened to you wasn't bad enough, but owning at DLR would just make it extra ridiculous.

We own at VGC. The whole thing is beyond annoying. The amount of effort it takes to try to do the most basic of things (make a dining reservation, buy an annual pass, ride a ride, watch a parade or show) with Disney nowadays turns a theme park visit into a big huge hassle fest. Then you get there and it’s gridlock, the rides break down, the perks like early entry are diluted by ridiculous procedures, and they stick their palms out for more cash for upgrades in an attempt to make it bearable.

Everyone has their limits and I reached mine today. But it’s not entirely about today’s (and yesterday’s) AP buying fiasco. It’s about the “sorry for your inconvenience, hey why dontcha just pay more, we don’t need to give a hoot“ attitude thats been pervasive for the past year or so. There is no buy in to the idea that they should offer a premium product if they’re charging a premium price. Instead it’s charge through the teeth and then shrug whenever there’s a problem. I’m not playing along anymore unless things change.

Well, I unsubscribed from Disney Plus and they gave me the further option of deleting my account, which apparently means Disney Plus will no longer market itself to me. Really? Sweet. Done.

This sucks. I'm so sorry to everyone who tried but couldn't get in.

I just wish Disney would be more transparent about all of this. (As in giving people a heads up about sales, and tempering expectations when it comes to how long sales might last, etc.) But, that's unlikely at this point.
Sadly, I think Disney likes to create the hysteria of a disappearing option. “You had better buy it right now without the time to rationally determine if you can afford it or if it makes more sense for you to do a MK than day tickets”. That is what they want. And it seems to have worked to an extent. But it is really sad. And as OP said, they will trot the option to buy MKs out again, when they need the share price bump or whatever. But it is not for the guests….

Sadly, I think Disney likes to create the hysteria of a disappearing option. “You had better buy it right now without the time to rationally determine if you can afford it or if it makes more sense for you to do a MK than day tickets”. That is what they want. And it seems to have worked to an extent. But it is really sad. And as OP said, they will trot the option to buy MKs out again, when they need the share price bump or whatever. But it is not for the guests….

Their stock fell 2.66% today when the total market fell 0.02% so this is actually making their stock price go down, not up.
I really have no idea what kind of stunt they're trying to pull here.

Well I never made it past the Woody please wait screen. so far there is no pending charge on my credit card. I sent in an email request about the problem on the web site and I was told in a reply to put it in a message on the Disneyland app. now it is there as well. maybe if it is in the system somewhere something can be done. I'm kind of 50/50 on this. I'm a long time AP holder so I used to visit the parks a lot but I haven't since the pandemic. in the grand scheme of things maybe it's better if I don't get a MK. I've gotten used to not going to the parks.

Yup. This was just a hail mary by Chapek to save his job with a quick cash grab to make the numbers look better this quarter. I knew this would only last a few days because crowds do not necessitate new sales. I guarantee MK reservations were not increased to accommodate new keys. All they did was add more keys to the current MK holders and didn't open new lines of reservations.

I'm happy for those that got keys, but once again Disney puts the dollar over the guest experience. All that happened was it made getting reservations as a MK holder more difficult. And wouldn't you know it? No dates are available this weekend for MK holders. Disney is a sleazy company run by a sleaze bag.

I am not surprised by the high demand because MKs are the only way to experience Disney right now without feeling completely ripped off.

Sadly, I think Disney likes to create the hysteria of a disappearing option. … .
It appears you are right. But it was much darker than that.

I’ve been thinking about this whole fiasco and the emotional damage and human carnage it left behind. The way Disney handled this was way beyond insensitive or callous. It was low class and disgusting. It was like a rich man throwing pennies on the ground before starving kids.

If Disney wants to limit the number of passholders, fine. That is certainly their prerogative and they can do it for any reason they choose. But they were clearly aware of the huge, overwhelming demand that resuming sales would generate. For Disney to handle sales in such a manner that was dehumanizing, extremely disrespectful of their most loyal customers, personally insulting, with no notice, disruptive of our personal time, schedules, access and treasure and then to be so cavalier when hearing the human stories is just slimy behavior.

Somebody compared this to a Black Friday sale. Similar yes, but two important differences that make Disney accountable for this. First, Disney knew how high the demand would be compared to the number of items for sale. It was not a surprise. They gave no advance notice. They warned that getting in the queue would not guarantee a purchase opportunity. They knew people would panic and spend 12 hours in a queue. Second, Disney had unilateral control of how, when and where it would happen. It was deliberate on their part, like starving a pack of dogs to make money on gambling on a race. Unethical. By the way, gambling is addictive. This CEO, in Walt’s family focused company, thinks facilitating and profiting on gambling (that has the potential to destroy families and children’s childhoods) is a good idea just for the profits. What’s next? Disney branded cigarettes?

Disney violated human decency in the way they conducted this. That responsibility falls squarely on the shoulders of one person; the CEO. He should have been a leader and demanded that his staff come up with a different way to handle this so the transactions and interface of the company and their customer could be a dignified and pleasant experience. I don’t blame people for seething and other raw reactions. Any backlash is well deserved. I hope the Board thinks about this and responds to protect their loyal customers, their passholder.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter