**Edit: Sales to resume on 1/17** Disneyland to Resume Selling Select Magic Key Pass Today

If you don’t go frequently (at least twice a month) and you don’t need the parking benefit it’s not worth the extra $500, especially now that the two weeks around Christmas are blocked out. Even the “extra” discount doesn’t pencil out to that much more in savings unless I guess you are spending tens of thousands of dollars on merch.

My SIL lives 15 minutes away and my brother always drops her and my niece off (he doesn’t go) so Believe makes more sense for them even though they went more than twice a month (before my niece was diagnosed with cancer—they haven’t been to the parks since July despite panic-renewing their Magic Keys for fear of losing them forever even though they can’t visit again until at least May—thanks for that Disney 😡).

Well, we did almost 50 visits last year and the only place I am willing to park is M&F/PP structure so it works well for us. Believe blocks out too many Saturdays and since we like to stay until night-time, Sundays don't work for family days due to work and school schedules.

It's also a bigger food discount. We spend a LOT on food. The extra 10% merch discount is handy, but we don't spend that much on merchandise.

Not quite. I think this person plans to use separate tickets for 12/26-12/31 because you can't activate a MK on a blackout day. Disney is very specific that pass "entitlements" are not valid on blackout days, to include parking and discounts. And the only 2 ways to activate a pass are by using it for theme park entry OR a fully paid parking lot entry (which won't work on a blackout day)

From the T&C:

"For a new Pass purchase (not a renewal), a Pass is valid for applicable privileges for one (1) year from the date of use of the Pass for first entry into a Disneyland® Resort theme park or use of the parking benefit on the pass for a fully-paid first entry into a pay-on-entry lot at the Disneyland® Resort.

Pass privileges will not be available until such Pass is activated via park entry or applicable entry into a pay-on-entry lot"
Thank you!

Well, we did almost 50 visits last year and the only place I am willing to park is M&F/PP structure so it works well for us. Believe blocks out too many Saturdays and since we like to stay until night-time, Sundays don't work for family days due to work and school schedules.

It's also a bigger food discount. We spend a LOT on food. The extra 10% merch discount is handy, but we don't spend that much on merchandise.
Yes, if you require almost all Saturdays I can see how that would be the case. But for people with just a little bit of flexibility $500 savings between Inspire and Believe is significant (especially if you times that by three or four family members).

For the record, I have Inspire and my boys have Believe (I’m saving $1,000 by not getting them Inspire). I haven’t found the Believe blockout calendar to be overly restrictive though we are happy to go early on Sundays and leave in time to have dinner at home. Then we fit in Saturdays for evening entertainment as the calendar allows. Plus of course all summer we can essentially do evening Disney any night of the week.

I opened a queue on 2 different devices this morning around 8am EST and neither has moved. I closed one out about 10 minutes ago and opened a new one on that device. Doesn’t appear to be making any progress.

Separate question - does anyone know if you can use gift cards as payment? Since they max out at $1000 I’d need to add another payment to get to $1099 so I’m guessing I’m out of luck. And my new credit card should be arriving tomorrow or Monday. Going to have to decide whether to suck it up and put it on an old credit card or wait for the new one and risk sell out.
I paid for a new Magic Key with a Disney gift card, a visa rewards card and the rest on a cc.

So since you can upgrade and downgrade passes would this apply since the only pass available now is the Inspire? Could you purchase that then downgrade to another pass? I assume they refund you the difference.

I paid for a new Magic Key with a Disney gift card, a visa rewards card and the rest on a cc.
Sorry I meant to come back. I got in and was able to use a gift card for partial payment. I paid the balance with a credit card. I didn’t check if I could use more than 1 gc. That’s great it let you use 3 different payment types!

So since you can upgrade and downgrade passes would this apply since the only pass available now is the Inspire? Could you purchase that then downgrade to another pass? I assume they refund you the difference.
That is an interesting thought but I doubt that Disney would allow you to downgrade to a pass that is not available for sale.

You can only do that during your renewal window. They do not let you downgrade before then and you cannot upgrade unless that pass is available for new sales if outside your renewal window. But you can upgrade or downgrade to any available for renewal tier during your renewal window.

The Inspire Key is the best value anyway when you account for the free parking (you know Disney will keep upping that parking fee), the increased discounts and the fewer block out days. It has the lowest per day price. You just have to go at least 15 times to be ahead of the game.

It actually takes less than 15 for me to break even with Inspire. As an out-of-towner who works M-F, I pretty much only go on Sat-Sun, with an occasional Monday or Friday if I can get an extra day off. A weekend single day ticket with a park hopper now costs $244, which breaks down to 6.5 visits. If I buy 2 day park hopper tickets, that's $345 and only 4.6 visits to break even.
And yes, I absolutely did the math to reassure myself that I made the right choice. (And, also I'm a nerd.) So as much as I do visit before having a key, I will definitely make up the cost, and that's without the parking or food/shopping discounts.

I looked at Believe to see if I could work around the block out days, but it just didn't work for *me*, though I know it's perfect for a lot of people. I'm sure a lot of people are bummed right now. (But, Disney being Disney, I don't doubt they'll open back up the next time Chapek wants the stock prices to bump up.)

You can only do that during your renewal window. They do not let you downgrade before then and you cannot upgrade unless that pass is available for new sales if outside your renewal window. But you can upgrade or downgrade to any available for renewal tier during your renewal window.
Makes sense. Thanks.

It actually takes less than 15 for me to break even with Inspire. As an out-of-towner who works M-F, I pretty much only go on Sat-Sun, with an occasional Monday or Friday if I can get an extra day off. A weekend single day ticket with a park hopper now costs $244, which breaks down to 6.5 visits. If I buy 2 day park hopper tickets, that's $345 and only 4.6 visits to break even.
And yes, I absolutely did the math to reassure myself that I made the right choice. (And, also I'm a nerd.) So as much as I do visit before having a key, I will definitely make up the cost, and that's without the parking or food/shopping discounts.

I looked at Believe to see if I could work around the block out days, but it just didn't work for *me*, though I know it's perfect for a lot of people. I'm sure a lot of people are bummed right now. (But, Disney being Disney, I don't doubt they'll open back up the next time Chapek wants the stock prices to bump up.)

You're right. I haven't redone the math since I bought the Dream Key last year, to be honest. The most recent price hikes make the Inspire an even better value for people who visit at least once a month, which is super easy to do living so close.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter