ECV's - Leaisure Vehicles???

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if they cant walk in to sit in regular seating? Who are to judge. I cant bear weight on my heels. We are going Friday and I will be in a scooter I am having delivered to the resort. I am not paralyzed but I am just as entitled to be comfortable and safe as someone who cant stand at all.

Sorry but I have to say after living with 2 para kids one for 17 years and the other for 9 there is no way you can compare someone that "rents" a scooter. If you need to rent a scooter because you don't have your own wheelchair for everyday living then you can walk to a seat.

Snowwite,: My Rx was to purchase one, I use mine to get around when I am unable to walk much and I take it with me on trips..

MNG1310,: Gotta say when George Costanza was in the low speed chase on the ECV I really had to laugh..

Deb

are[/i] renting them just for leisure. I would bet it's a pretty small number (mostly because of the price) compared to the number who actually do need them.
The worst thing about it is that lots of people have an attitude.] :sad2:

I was saddened to read the sentiments expressed by some Disney lovers with disabled family members towards other Disney Guests who use an ECV in Disney Parks.

It occurred to me that they were only worried about their family members access to an event or attraction. I know this won't change the minds of people who think "everyone else" shouldn't need an ECV, or that they should be able to walk to a seat. :confused3

My Mom has very bad arthritis and some days she can barely shuffle much less walk and even as far as to a seat. I want her trip to Disney to be memorable for all the things she is able to enjoy and not for the expectations or discrimination of others.

I find it difficult to believe that Disney lovers can't find compassion for each other in sometimes difficult situations. :grouphug:

Sorry but I have to say after living with 2 para kids one for 17 years and the other for 9 there is no way you can compare someone that "rents" a scooter. If you need to rent a scooter because you don't have your own wheelchair for everyday living then you can walk to a seat.

I am sorry that you feel that way. I have RA, new heel spurs, recent surgery and am unable to walk more than a few feet and cannot stand in place bearing weight for a long period. I have a tumor in my left arm which makes it too weak to manage a manual wheelchair.The only way my doctor would allow me to go on our trip was to rent a wheelchair or scooter. I am sure there are others with worse problems. My point is that no one has the right to judge the level of disability someone else has or whether or not they "deserve" to have thier needs accomodated. I am shocked at your attitude. People come to this board for support. I would not be surprised to find someone without a disability with this attiftude but being the mother of disabled children I would expect you to be sensitive.

Snowwite,: My Rx was to purchase one, I use mine to get around when I am unable to walk much and I take it with me on trips..

MNG1310,: Gotta say when George Costanza was in the low speed chase on the ECV I really had to laugh..

Deb

I dont want to bring one from home on the plane. I have heard that they are not always handled with the greatest care. My insurance declined even with the prescription and I am appealing. They would pay for an electric wheelchair though but i prefer the scooter. I actually thought of buying a used one but I am concerned about safety.I wouldnt want to break down someplace.

I am sorry that you feel that way. I have RA, new heel spurs, recent surgery and am unable to walk more than a few feet and cannot stand in place bearing weight for a long period. I have a tumor in my left arm which makes it too weak to manage a manual wheelchair.

I am not flaming you at all, but do you mind if I ask how you manage to get around at home??

With the exception of her last post, I totally agree with Michigan. If someone using an ECV can safely and comfortably transfer to a seat/bench and be comfortable, I think they should. Some wheelchair users, including myself- a para like Michigan's kids, don't have a choice about getting out of their chairs. It would be nice if those who are able would be courteous and share the handicapped seating.

Now I certainly don't go around looking at ECV users wondering if they are "disabled enough" or anything like that. These are just my thoughts.

I am not flaming you at all, but do you mind if I ask how you manage to get around at home??

With the exception of her last post, I totally agree with Michigan. If someone using an ECV can safely and comfortably transfer to a seat/bench and be comfortable, I think they should. Some wheelchair users, including myself- a para like Michigan's kids, don't have a choice about getting out of their chairs. It would be nice if those who are able would be courteous and share the handicapped seating.

Now I certainly don't go around looking at ECV users wondering if they are "disabled enough" or anything like that. These are just my thoughts.
I have a cane and can walk short distances.I have a prescription for a scooter and am fighting insurance to get it paid for. The problem at Disney is the long distance. I have been in agony for years and it only got so bad that I could not walk about a month ago. I thought she was expecting me to get out of EVC and climb bleachers. I dont watch partades or stage shows and dont go in the handicaped seating area so I have no idea what it is like. I just felt I was being put down for not being disabled enough.

I have a cane and can walk short distances.I have a prescription for a scooter and am fighting insurance to get it paid for. The problem at Disney is the long distance. I have been in agony for years and it only got so bad that I could not walk about a month ago. I thought she was expecting me to get out of EVC and climb bleachers. I dont watch partades or stage shows and dont go in the handicaped seating area so I have no idea what it is like. I just felt I was being put down for not being disabled enough.

I wasn't judging if you were disabled enough to rent a scooter I just don't understand how someone who rents one isn't able to walk to the seating for shows if they don't have a wheelchiar at home. Not having a wheelchair at home means that the person must be walking to do everyday things.

I wasn't judging if you were disabled enough to rent a scooter I just don't understand how someone who rents one isn't able to walk to the seating for shows if they don't have a wheelchiar at home. Not having a wheelchair at home means that the person must be walking to do everyday things.

climbing bleachers isnt everyday function. Perhaps I misunderstood. I thought that was what was being requested.I am done with this thread. I dont have time for mean people.

climbing bleachers isnt everyday function. Perhaps I misunderstood. I thought that was what was being requested.I am done with this thread. I dont have time for mean people.

I could be wrong, but I think Michigan was referring to ECVs taking up the end spots in the handicapped seating, when the person is able to transfer to the seat right next to it. Like in It's Tough to be a Bug or Mickey's Philharmagic. Not climbing bleachers and what not. Just taking up a space someone who could be using who couldn't transfer. Am I off base, Michigan?

I don't think anyone is being mean, Snow. I think you maybe just misunderstood.

I could be wrong, but I think Michigan was referring to ECVs taking up the end spots in the handicapped seating, when the person is able to transfer to the seat right next to it. Like in It's Tough to be a Bug or Mickey's Philharmagic. Not climbing bleachers and what not. Just taking up a space someone who could be using who couldn't transfer. Am I off base, Michigan?

You got it Lindsay.

I don't see how that is being mean. I watched my mom have to use a walker because she couldn't move without it after her stroke but that doesn't compare with a person that can't stand at all. That's where I was coming from. She was still able to do things that a para can't.

For instance Snow if you get in you car or van right now you walk to it and open the door and get in. I have 2 vans one that has a rear lift and all they do is roll on but I also have a mini van that I drive back and forth to work and they like riding in it because it has a DVD player and I like it when the gas prices are over $3.00. To get in that 2 of the seats are stowed so they roll to the side that doesn't have any seats then they crawl into the van and using only their arms with their faces into the seats pull themselves up onto the seat.

Now do you understand why I would ask why someone that doesn't have a scooter or wheelchair at home would not be able to get out of the scooter and sit on a bench and leave the spaces open for those that can't.

That was what I thought Michigan meant also.
My DD can't get out of her wheelchair unless someone lifts her out.
My FIL (who is now deceased) used an ECV at WDW because of very bad knees and hips. In situations where he could transfer to a seat, he pulled up next to the seat and did transfer.
The bleacher type seats were very difficult for him to sit on (painful to sit on) and then be able to get back up again. He really needed a seat with arms to get back up.
For people who could transfer to bleachers, no one was saying (at least I didn't see anyone saying) that people should be forced to climb over bleachers to sit down.
Also, the idea I got was that people should if they could so the person deciding if they could would be the person using the ECV or rental wheelchair. Even though DD has her own wheelchair, needs a lot of assistance to transfer, and can't sit on a bench, we have been asked at times if she can transfer so they could have room for people who can't transfer. I see nothing wrong with the CM asking the question; they have no way of knowing who can transfer easily and who can't.
That was what I was thinking of.

The thing that really bothers me is that there are so many rented ones that the shows handicap seating is all filled with them. That means people like us my 2 daughter's can't walk or stand and have their own manual chairs are told come back to the next show and arrive 30-40 minutes before it starts to be sure you get in. Now call me nuts but if they were able to walk to get into their rented scooter then they should have to park them outside and sit in the regular seating.

Sorry, but I was also pretty surprised by this post, as well. I can get around well enough at home without assistance, primarily because I don't work anymore and have help- but there is no possible way I can do Disney without a scooter. That's like saying a person who does a little rappelling on the weekends can do Mt. Everest this June- it's at least an order of magnitude of difference between the two. Normal life is not WDW by any stretch of the imagination.

It'd be lovely if a person could park the scooter, then walk in and sit down, but there's the little matter of standing in line for at least a half an hour or longer- which is quite beyond a lot of folks including Snowwite and me. I would just have to miss the show, or attraction, or whatever it is, no question about it. At some shows, the CMs will take the scooters and park them away from the handicapped seating, and ask those who can transfer, to do so. That really is the ideal arrangement. Certainly people who can transfer, should. But quite a few of us who seem perfectly mobile for a few minutes wear out fast. If Disney doesn't give us the option of getting out of our rented ECV's, what are we supposed to do about that?
:confused3

That was what I thought Michigan meant also.
My DD can't get out of her wheelchair unless someone lifts her out.
My FIL (who is now deceased) used an ECV at WDW because of very bad knees and hips. In situations where he could transfer to a seat, he pulled up next to the seat and did transfer.
The bleacher type seats were very difficult for him to sit on (painful to sit on) and then be able to get back up again. He really needed a seat with arms to get back up.
For people who could transfer to bleachers, no one was saying (at least I didn't see anyone saying) that people should be forced to climb over bleachers to sit down.
Also, the idea I got was that people should if they could so the person deciding if they could would be the person using the ECV or rental wheelchair. Even though DD has her own wheelchair, needs a lot of assistance to transfer, and can't sit on a bench, we have been asked at times if she can transfer so they could have room for people who can't transfer. I see nothing wrong with the CM asking the question; they have no way of knowing who can transfer easily and who can't.
That was what I was thinking of.

Michigan referred to "regular seating" at least twice. I am glad that you two are interpreting Michigan's statements in a charitable light, however. No one would disagree with what you have posted, it's quite reasonable.

I think people are on a slippery slope here. Saying someone is justified by xyz problem, hence they can "justly" use a wheelchair/ecv. However, my X can't because he only has kkkkkk.

The poor marketing of some companies, is just that poor. We should concentrate on positive, and help each other here. That is what I like to get from this board.

If someone reads this thread and then doesn't rent a scooter because others think they are cheating. That is just sad. Please remember that whether you have hidden of visable disability. If you need to rent a scooter. Do it, your trip is going to be much more magical without pain.

Connie

I think you guys are reading WAY too much into this.

If you need to use an ECV in Disney, by all means use one.

If you have to still have it through a queue, by all means stay in it.

If you cannot transfer to a seat next to handicapped seating, by all means, stay in your ECV.

If it is not difficult to transfer into the seat next to the handicapped seating and have someone park the ECV behind you, please do so. It frees up an end spot for someone who has to stay in their chair/ECV. I have seen many people do this.

I think that's all we are trying to say.

Michigan referred to "regular seating" at least twice. I am glad that you two are interpreting Michigan's statements in a charitable light, however. No one would disagree with what you have posted, it's quite reasonable.

I have 2 kids in wheelchairs so "regular seating" to me means anything other then a wheelchair. Let me say it again they can't stand, they can't walk. The only time the oldest one ever walked in her life was from age 3-6 with braces that came all the way up to her armpits. The youngest one walked from age 4-6 with braces that locked at the hips. If someone is sitting in a rented scooter or rented wheelchair they don't use one everyday and are able to walk and I don't see anything wrong with asking them to sit in a seat and leave the spots where someone has to stay in a wheelchair open for those that can't walk. Drive your scooter in tell the CM you are going to transfer and have someone go park the scooter.

If someone in a scooter rides the rides they have to get out of the scooter and the CM moves the scooter. A para or quad doesn't have that choice. My oldest still loves the Merry-go-Round and will get out of her chair and crawl to the bench seat to ride it. While she was crawling 2 months ago to get on I heard someone say look at her acting like a baby. Since my back was turned I couldn't tell who said it but trust me if I would have they would have heard it from me.

Bottom line if you need a scooter get one I could care less but remember those that can't transfer and get out of the scooter and sit in a seat. As far as the scooters being rented for leisure I think you will find a lot more as the kids that are being pushed in rented disney strollers at 10 and 12 turn into adults.

If I ticked you off sorry wasn't my intent but I noticed that those that are paras and quads or parents of understood where I was coming from because they live it everyday.

Well I have my own scooter. Decorated in nice disney stickers. I will still remember going to dinner at Cinderallas Castle and being told to park my scooter that is was not a long walk. They saw my scooter as a convience vehical not a need. We were one of the first in the room to have our pic with Cinderalla. Since I really could not stand well I sat along the side. As time went on more and more people fill up the line for their pic. I was so frustrated because the only way to get a pic was to have my DH stand in line while I sat at the side. This was not handled well I think. Next time I will take my scooter in to wait in line. And after wards put it out side before we go up to eat.

Also I was just shocked how the CM's treated the scooter. When we got back from dinner there were a few rows of Strollers in front of my scooter. If I had been by myself there is no way I could have moved all of the strollers. I must say this is the only place in MK that my mobility device was not treated with repsect. And from then on when waiting for a dinner reservation I would not get out of my scooter till we were seated at dinner because of the limited seating in the waiting areas.

But I wonder if people did not use them as leisure vehicals would they respect the scooter users more.

I have 2 kids in wheelchairs so "regular seating" to me means anything other then a wheelchair. Let me say it again they can't stand, they can't walk. The only time the oldest one ever walked in her life was from age 3-6 with braces that came all the way up to her armpits. The youngest one walked from age 4-6 with braces that locked at the hips. If someone is sitting in a rented scooter or rented wheelchair they don't use one everyday and are able to walk and I don't see anything wrong with asking them to sit in a seat and leave the spots where someone has to stay in a wheelchair open for those that can't walk. Drive your scooter in tell the CM you are going to transfer and have someone go park the scooter.

If someone in a scooter rides the rides they have to get out of the scooter and the CM moves the scooter. A para or quad doesn't have that choice. My oldest still loves the Merry-go-Round and will get out of her chair and crawl to the bench seat to ride it. While she was crawling 2 months ago to get on I heard someone say look at her acting like a baby. Since my back was turned I couldn't tell who said it but trust me if I would have they would have heard it from me.

Bottom line if you need a scooter get one I could care less but remember those that can't transfer and get out of the scooter and sit in a seat. As far as the scooters being rented for leasure I think you will find a lot more as the kids that are being pushed in rented disney strollers at 10 and 12 turn into adults.

If I ticked you off sorry wasn't my intent but I noticed that those that are paras and quads or parents of understood where I was coming from because they live it everyday.

Great post, Michigan. Well said!

I think it's ridiculous and lazy for people who don't need them to be using ECV's just so they don't have to walk around the parks or wherever, and I think that scooter companies should not be advertising their scooters/ecv's as "leisure vehicles, but the problem lies in the fact that you don't know just by looking at someone whether they need one or not.

I know on our last trip, I walked around all week, nearly in tears everyday because my knee and heels hurt so bad. I have arthritis in my knees and plantar facitis, but I tried hard to walk and not rent an ECV although I wanted to very badly. If I had, anyone looking at me would never had seen anything wrong.

My DH is also confined to a wheelchair and he looks perfectly healthy if you just glance at him, but he is a parapalegic and can't walk.

While it's easy to get irritated or angry at people you see zooming around Disney or anywhere on an ECV, just remember that appearances aren't always everything and there may be an underlying need for them that you can't see. However, if you are renting one of these ECV's then you should definitely get up and move or change seats or whatever if it means letting someone who can't transfer see a show/attraction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter