ECV & Wheelchair & WDW Bus Photo Info by CastMember Tyler (Chip 'n Dale Express)

This will also be our first trip with an offsite EVC rental. In the past I have seen drivers hop on the EVC and put them on the bus for guests. Is this a possiblity??

This will also be our first trip with an offsite EVC rental. In the past I have seen drivers hop on the EVC and put them on the bus for guests. Is this a possiblity??

The drivers we had last year, told us that they COULD NOT do this... (my mom was having trouble parking hers) they said it was against regulations.

This is such a good and super helpful thread, it should be stickied to the top.
:goodvibes Thanks for posting this Tyler :goodvibes

It is a safety issue and a liability issue. They are not supposed to drive the ECV for the guest. Rules are broken and sometimes a CM will risk reprimand and help guests. Not allowed but then sometimes CMs listen to their heart instead of the rules. They will help you with instructions and stuff though.

The nicest man to come into my life is a former bus driving CM and a dear friend. I know several bus drivers online and theyarre the nicest people with compassion overflowing.

We have had CM's that help a little (getting it situated) after the ECV is on the bus, but none offered to get on it and drive it for us. I usually have DH put my mom's ECV on the bus, then I put mine on.

When we were down in December, EVERY bus driver insisted that we get off and sit on a seat, talk about ugly looks we got :scared1: and most of the time we were the first guests in line anyway, but you would have thought we were trying to keep them off the bus.

Suzanne

Thank you thank you thank you for this thread!! It has answered SO many of my questions before I could even think of them! This really needs to be a sticky at the top!!

Again THANK YOU!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Anyone know how it works for a WC and DME? I'll be taking Dad in a WC, he can transfer but do they store it underneath??

TIA!
Sue

Hi Sue,

if he can transfer to a normal seat and it's a foldable; yes they can store it underneath. Can he do some stairs? The DME busses are HIGH busses. I he can't; don't worry. Just tell the driver and they'll let him use the lift in the back.

If his chair isn't foldable, they'll get him on the bus in the chair, get him to transfer into another seat and tie down the chair right then and there.

If you check along the disABILITY board, there are more topics about DME and wheelchair. Sue has posted some great pics of the bus, lift etc.

DME is just as easy to use as disney transport. :)

A question this topic raised with me; is it still (seeing this topic started in 2005) Disney regulation to have guests in powerchairs backing up into certain busses? I have some sensory issues that would make it a very uncomfortable experience for me to back up any ramp. The DME-like busses with lifts are fine, as no angle to cross backwards but the 'nova' bus would cause my body to react as if it were tortured. My chair can deal with the angle it needs to cross to get on the different busses and I also tend to get into the wc-spot way easier front first instead of backing up.

During my 2007 trip, I had two drivers telling me to back up (followed by a 'that's easier') but after stating 'I'm fine' neither followed up on it. All of the other drivers never even mentioned it. This makes me wonder if the rules have been changed since?? (I didn't even know about the policy untill reading this topic)

the rules are the same and that is because of the distrubution of the weight of the powerchair makes it easier to tip on some ramps. You would have to tell the driver that you are not physically able to enter in reverse.

Guests are allowed to stay in their ECV or Wheelchair.
..............Also drivers vary as do all humans. Some drivers do take short cuts or go against company policy but that is true in most industries especially ones as big as Disney. The getting out of a wheelchair is a safety precaution but not manditory.
::yes::
You can choose to stay in the wheelchair or ECV.
It is recommended that people get out of the ECV and sit on a seat because the ECV is not designed for transport like this on a bus and can tip over even if it is secured correctly.
And, we have run into some great drivers who do everything correctly, but also some who took shortcuts.
This is such a good and super helpful thread, it should be stickied to the top.
:goodvibes Thanks for posting this Tyler :goodvibes

Thank you thank you thank you for this thread!! It has answered SO many of my questions before I could even think of them! This really needs to be a sticky at the top!!

Again THANK YOU!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:
Actually, rather than putting a bunch of threads as stickies (we might have a whole page of stickies that way), the disABILITIES FAQs thread acts as kind of a 'bank' of links to things that are helpful information.
Post #4 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread has a whole list of questions and answers about buses and this thread is actually the third link in the LINKS area at the end of post #4.

I added pictures of the DME bus to post #16 on page 2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread (stuck near the top of this board).

the rules are the same and that is because of the distrubution of the weight of the powerchair makes it easier to tip on some ramps. You would have to tell the driver that you are not physically able to enter in reverse.

In that case I've had great drivers. Most of the time I didn't even go into the physical reason for my way of getting on and non of them gave me any trouble. Maybe it helped that because of the same problem I tend to lean forward when going up a ramp anyway.

Good to know though, on my next trip I WILL tell them. They make my life as easy as possible, so why not return the favor.

Back in 2005 when this thread started, I was in discussion with Tyler regarding my own wheelchair. I don't like reversing, in part because I don't have the flexibility to look over my shoulder to see where I am going properly, but mainly because it is more difficult to hold my chair to a straight line when going backward and near impossible backing uphill. (an Invacare Storm - a very common chair with rear wheel drive). My chair has restricted power in reverse making backing up even more difficult. (I should also add that my chair seat has a power tilt & recline with power raising footplates and that I can effectively move my centre of gravity from just behind the front wheels to just in front of the back) The only way I could possibly tip over backwards going up a ramp is if I reclined fully to the 'sunlounger' position first. ... and like Googyslonglostsis, I also lean well forward going up ramps.

Disney's bus loading rules seem to be written for some kind of generic ECV or wheelchair, ridden by an inexperienced user. The rules need to be revised to take account of the fact that one size does not fit all. In 2005, Tyler led me to believe that management were reconsidering this issue. Apparently Disney have still not done so.

My choices for my next trip are apparently:-

a) Only visit the Studios and Epcot by path or boat. (staying at Boardwalk) Don't visit MK, AK and DTD.

b) Ask a stranger waiting at the bus stop to supervise me reversing

c) Ask bus drivers if they will ignore the rules and let me go on forwards and wait for the next bus if they don't.

d) Wait for an RTS (old style lift bus).

e) Call for a wheelchair taxi and be prepared to wait 90 minutes or more for one to arrive.

Andrew

Would it be possible to show pictures of the type of ramps or lifts for each bus.... just showing the outside of the bus isn't making it clear which bus is which to me.

:confused3

Shhhq, did you see the pics of the busses in the first post?

The ramps are; lift for the first bus.
Nova; very very delicate angle. This bus kneels the deepest and then the ramp automatically slides out from underneath the doors
Third bus type; It kneels like the 'nova' but a bit less. Then the busdriver has to manually flip out the ramp. That angle is a bit steeper.

Andrew, maybe it's about time we start picking up official communication about this with Disney. During my first trip I didn't even know about this, so didn't act upon it. In all of the 9 days I've had no problems at all (did a lot of parkhopping and going to resort to rest etc.). But than again, hopefully I wasn't 'just lucky'. It's a shame this subject seems to be unclear whereas disney tends to do their best.

Shhhq, did you see the pics of the busses in the first post?

The ramps are; lift for the first bus.
Nova; very very delicate angle. This bus kneels the deepest and then the ramp automatically slides out from underneath the doors
Third bus type; It kneels like the 'nova' but a bit less. Then the busdriver has to manually flip out the ramp. That angle is a bit steeper.
It has been my experience that the Gilliig are easier and less steep than the Nova ramps. I am no longer asked to back up the ramp and will refuse if I am. Had no problem with that on my recent trip.
My biggest issue was a few drivers who ignored me and loaded regular passengers and left me and those who refuse to lower the lift until I am reversed. Since I have a hearing loss I want to see the lift on the ground and ready before I reverse and move my chair backwards to get on that lift.

Really Lisbet? Shame on those drivers! First of all the should be aware that anybody can have hearing loss, second it is plan rude to want to force you to do something without walking up to you and talk and third; ignore a person? *shakes head*. Let's hope those few drivers have either found jobs more suiting to them or have been knocked hard in the head with a busload (yep, pun intended) of pixiedust and normall behavioural etiquette.

If you cannot back up due to medical issues, phobias or whatever then tell the driver and say you CANNOt back up into the bus. Expect them to ask you how do you expect to get out if you cannot back up. If necessary then ask for his lead or manager. Be nice but firm. I have freaked out once while backing a car down a very steep hill. I am ok with an ECV though.

If you cannot back up due to medical issues, phobias or whatever then tell the driver and say you CANNOt back up into the bus. Expect them to ask you how do you expect to get out if you cannot back up. If necessary then ask for his lead or manager. Be nice but firm. I have freaked out once while backing a car down a very steep hill. I am ok with an ECV though.
Since I am using a very small power wheelchair and not an ECV I can actually go on and get off going forward. I do back onto the lifts but exit so I face outward and drive forward to exit. I do tell them I am hearing impaired but I have no idea as to the volume of my voice and have been told that I cannot be heard at times. My family has no problem speaking for me if they are with me but I often go off before them in the mornings so am not accompanied. I also will go to WDW without them at times. DH drives me up and then goes off himself to north Florida to visit his Dad and Aunts.

Like Lisbet, I can also get in and out going forward. Heck, I could even dance in the bus if I wanted. :rotfl: But yeah, they can ask the question.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter