ECV & Wheelchair & WDW Bus Photo Info by CastMember Tyler (Chip 'n Dale Express)

RaySharpton

Retired and going to Disney.
Here is an excellent description and photos by CastMember Tyler (Chip 'n Dale Express) of what the different Walt Disney World Buses look like when prepared to load the (ECV's) Electric Convenience Vehicle's or wheelchairs.

Quote by CastMember Tyler (Chip 'n Dale Express):

When waiting out at a bus stop that services multiple buses, it's important to let the drivers know when you wish to board. All buses are equipped with large bright easy to read LED destination signs. When you see your bus coming, wave your hand, so that the driver knows you wish to board. This way, the driver knows to align the bus up to the specific markings. Optionally, you can nod your head "no" to let other drivers know that you're waiting for a different bus.

At the parks, or at certain resorts with specific load zones, bypass the queue lines, and wait near where the rear door of the bus will be.

100% of our fleet is wheelchair/scooter accessible, via lift or ramp. There are three styles of buses, each with a different way to board.

1 - The "RTS" bus. These are the older buses with the stairs. The rear door has a fold out lift that will extend out. We ask that you back the ECV onto the lift, however, per Federal Law, you may board in forwards if you wish. However, with the RTS, it's much easier to maneuver inside the bus if you back onto the lift. When the lift is flat with the floor, you just back straight up, and then sharply turn the wheel to bring the front end in.

4793b.jpg

2 - The "Nova" bus. These are low-floor buses, with extendable ramps in the rear door. Disney policy requires that any electric wheelchair or scooter must board this type of bus in reverse.

4850c.jpg

3 - The "Gillig" bus. These are brand new low-floor buses, with fold out type ramps in the oversized rear door. Because these buses can kneel lower, and have longer ramps, Disney does allow guests to board in forward on this bus only. However, we still recommend going up in reverse if at all possible, because it is easier to park the scooter in the designated slot.

gillig1.jpg

gillig3.jpg

When maneuvering your ECV, remember, TURTLE SPEED IS YOUR FRIEND. Don't feel rushed, or pressured or anything. Take your time. You're on vacation, we have all the time in the world.

Once parked, if at all possible, we HIGHLY recommend transferring to a regular seat. Don't worry about the crowds, or taking up an extra seat. When on a bus with someone in the seat, scooters tend to have a high center of gravity. Since they don't have good tie down points, they have a tendency to tip during corners. Your safety is #1 with us, so please, if possible, transfer to a regular seat. (Also, just an FYI, the majority if not all of the scooter companies prohibit riding the scooter while on the bus)

Thank you, Tyler (Chip 'n Dale Express)

All excellent advice. Turtle speed is definitely recommended, but on the lift ramp busses, you may have to turn it up just a bit higher to get it to go up the hump, and then turn it back down once it has some traction. Otherwise it doesn't have enough speed, at least the ones I've tried didn't.

Very helpful post. We plan our trips around the fewest bus rides possible. It is a challenge for all involved. Your information is great. Thanks.

Thank you soooo much! Are you a driver? If so which line so we can look for ya1

MommytoMJM said:
Thank you soooo much! Are you a driver? If so which line so we can look for ya1
Yes, I am currently a driver. However, we have over 1,000 drivers, so finding me can be a challenge, since I'm never in the same place twice.

And thank you to RaySharpton for posting this information for all to see :)

You're welcome, Tyler. I thought that it was great information, too.

I am going to be renting a scooter off site for the first time, and I will be using the WDW Bus Transportation everywhere.

I haven't decided which mobility rental company to use yet. I am trying to decide between the different scooters that each company uses. Some of the scooters can go about 10 miles, while others can go 15 to 30 miles on a charge.

Then there is the differnce in weight requirements between two scooters of the same brand name. Did I mention that there were a lot of different brands? I'm at the borderline of having to rent the scooter for heavier weight person.

And then there are the different prices. Each mobility rental company charges per day, some can charge per week to save a couple of dollars from renting seven daily charges.

I have only rented the Electric Convenience Vehicles from the different Walt Disney World Parks.

I am looking forward to walking around the BoardWalk Lake, and around the Port Orleans Riverside and French Quarter walkways. I've always wanted to see the Riverside swimming pool and just meander around the Riverside walkways without worrying whether I could make it back to the room.

Maybe I can take some pictures of me maneuvering my scooter onto the different buses.

Anyway, thank you Tyler for the great infor and photos.

Sincerely, Ray

At Pop Century, Care Medical and Walker Medical were the two most commonly used companies. They were always really nice. Don't know much beyond that, however.

Currently, my camera battery is out of commission... only hold a charge for 1 picture. I have a new one on order, and once I get it, I will be able to take more pictures to help show the areas better. :)

That's wonderful news about the new buses. Thanks for posting the information. I do have a question. You mentioned that the individual should not sit on the ECV while on the bus. My DH will have his own personal scooter and this has never been a problem. Usually there is a seat belt that the driver places around my DH. While my DH can get up and down it is problematic. We've never had a driver insist that he get up before. Is this new? Should we be concerned? Thanks in advance for any news.

BTW all of our WDW bus drivers have been wonderful with my DH, taking their time, making sure he is comfortable and the ECV is secured. It's wonderful. :flower:

It's not new, and it's completely optional for personal scooters. (It's the rental ones that have the restrictions place on by the company) I just suggest that if it is possible, that it is a safer option. Even with the personal seat belt, ECVs do not have good strap down points, and still could tip. Think of it this way -- if you're going fast, and make a sharp turn, will your DH's personal scooter tip to one side?

Its never tipped in the past but I suppose there is always a first time. Thanks for all of your wonderful advice. We'll look for you in less than 3 weeks. :cool1: :cool1:

If you know that it is stable enough and won't tip, that's what matters. Hopefully there will never be a first time :)

So we parked at AK this weekend and then rode the bus over to MK later on. The driver was awesome. MJ just LOVED the ride.

The MK was packed leaving and we missed the last bus to the AK so they called a driver to come and get us and two other families, we got to use on of the Kneeling busses. The whole bus tips to make getting in and out easier, it was great. Judy, our bus driver was terrific and so helpful!

We will never use our car to transport again! Tho we will park at MK since it is always open latest and 9 times out of 10 we end up there at night anyway!

Andrew,
I rode the Gillig bus and what looks like a lip is not really one. It is curved and almost flat. Was not a problem at all and I did go on forward and had no problem getting into the spot with my Jazzy 1103.
Also I met Tyler. He is very nice and I was thrilled to meet him. He is still working on the problem of reversing up the ramp with his supervisor. Hopefully it will soon not be a problem at all.
Tyler thanks for all the help you give.

We just got back last night and on our WDW bus rides, we actually ended up riding all 3 types of buses. The Gillig ones are very nice.
One thing we noticed was that it seems like WDW is adding back curbs at some of the bus loading areas (or at least adding them to new boarding). Is that true Tyler?
While non-curb areas work best for the old lift buses, the ramps on the newer buses are quite steep when used without a curb (I had trouble pushing DD's wheelchair up one). When used with a curb, they are a very gentle rise.

Hmm... whereabouts are you thinking of? I don't know of any new curbs. The only theme park with curbs is the Studios... everywhere else is flat. They're re-doing the Magic Kingdom bus area, but not adding any curbs. Saratoga, which is new, does feature curbs.

For us, curbs are a iffy subject. They're GREAT for boarding, because they reduce the front step height (a BIG deal), and also the angle for the rear ramp. And as long as the driver parks his/her bus properly, the lifts work fine on them too.

However... if you get too close to them (especially with the Gilligs), it tends to tear apart the side of the bus, more specifically, the rear ramp are of the Gilligs. But again, like the RTS lift buses, as long as the driver parks the bus properly, all would be well.

The new Gilligs can kneel lower, plus with the increased length of the ramp, the angle is much smaller, even without a curb.

By the way, speaking of curbs, Caribbean Beach is re-doing some of thier load zones to make them more accessible. Old Port Royale is complete, and Trinidad North will be complete next week. They're removing the step up from the side walk, that prevented easy access. It's now going to be completely flat, with no steps. It's hard to explain without pictures... but it used to be a curb to sidewalk... then a step up to the platform waiting area... the platform is no more.

It's not new, and it's completely optional for personal scooters. (It's the rental ones that have the restrictions place on by the company) I just suggest that if it is possible, that it is a safer option. Even with the personal seat belt, ECVs do not have good strap down points, and still could tip. Think of it this way -- if you're going fast, and make a sharp turn, will your DH's personal scooter tip to one side?

That happened to me last summer! We turned a corner and my ECV tipped over... I caught myself, but if I had not been able to I might have gotten really injured (my problem has more to do with endurance than mobility). Had this happened to my Mom, who was in front of me, she wouldn't have been able to catch herself and would have completely fallen over and gotten hurt!
After that happened, I NEVER stayed on my ECV for the bus trip!

What is they policy on wheelchairs? I had one driver as me to get out of my wheelchair. He said that if I was able to transfer, I MUST. Of course, since I was not in it, he only secured it with one latch, therefore it was quicker and easier for him. No other driver even asked if I could transfer. The only discrepency with the other drivers was that some would put a seatbelt around me and others would not. We also had a couple that would not allow my 4yo to remain in my lap. I personally felt safer with her in my lap than in a seat, but just had my ds16 sit next to her. Luckily, the nights that the older kids stayed later than me, I got drivers who let her stay in my lap and only the 6 and 8 yo's had to stay in a seat.

Guests are allowed to stay in their ECV or Wheelchair. It is strongly recommended that guests sit in the regular seats if they can. The center of gravity is higher for the wheelchairs and ECVs. Also a guest sitting in a regular seat can better brace themselves in case of an emergency.

I have online bus driver friends and read the horror stories of how people drive. The perfect bus driver cannot gently stop behind a person who cuts in front of them and stops suddenly. I have been on public transit and stared at the windsheild as a bus skidded to a stop in the intersection. A small street with no cars coming but he stopped for a red light. I held on to the pole because I was standing and I thought for sure I was going to be a road ornament. Mom damaged her hip for a while when RTD slammed its brakes so hard.

Also drivers vary as do all humans. Some drivers do take short cuts or go against company policy but that is true in most industries especially ones as big as Disney. The getting out of a wheelchair is a safety precaution but not manditory.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter