ECV vs. Wheelchair? I'm confused...

snubie

DIS Veteran
My MIL and FIL may be traveling with us to WDW in May. The problem is that my FIL has MS and can only walk short distances. He will need a wc or ecv, despite his protests that he can walk.

My question is that my MIL does not have the strength and endurance to push him all day in a wc, she has her own orthopedic issues. And Dh and I will not be spending every day with them in the parks (this would lead to divorce...ha ha ha).:confused:

Is is a real pain in the butt to use a ECV? My FIL can transfer himself with only minimal help at times, most of the time he is fine by himself transferring. What about rides that enter one place and exit at another? What about the monorail? And the bus system?

Are there places off-Disney property that rent the ECV's? Would this be easier and cheaper?

Thank you,
Stacey:confused:

I can answer some of your questions, but we don't have personal experience with an ecv because DD has her own wheelchairs (manual and power). A lot is the same for wheelchairs as for ecvs. Many frequent poster here do use ecvs and I'm sure they will be happy to share their experience with you.
Is is a real pain in the butt to use a ECV?
Most people who were afraid to use one end up posting after they get back that using one was much easier than they expected. A couple hints are to try one out at a local mall or large store like Target or Walmart. The ones they have a much larger than any you will rent at WDW (plus they have a cart attached), so if your FIL can drive one of those, one at WDW will be a piece of cake. Also, Epcot is a good part to start at since it is large with wide paths and doesn't feel as busy as the other parks. Some practice driving (especially backing up) is important before venturing out in the parks.
My FIL can transfer himself with only minimal help at times, most of the time he is fine by himself transferring. What about rides that enter one place and exit at another?
Here's a
link to a past thread about boarding rides that has a lot of helpful information. There are some rides/attractions where an ecv can't go in. For those, you need to switch to a wheelchair (those rides will usually have wheelchairs and a CM at the entrance). Here's a
link to the official Disney website page that lists ride accessibility. Knowing which rides he needs to switch to a wheelchair for can help you plan - if he wants to ride those, he can do it when you are with him to push the wheelchair. For rides where you normally enter in one place and exit at another, most of the time wheelchair and ecv users are routed to the exit for boarding. Usually you will wait in the regular line until just before the main line goes to the boarding area. At that point, there is usually a detour to the exit for guests traveling in wheelchairs or ecvs. There are a few rides (Spaceship Earth and Small World, where you actually enter thru the exit, but mostly you get to the exit after waiting in the regular line).
What about the monorail? And the bus system?
The monorails are easy. There is a car on each monorail that is accessible. The CM boarding people will direct you to the waiting are for that car and help get the ecv on board. They have small portable ramps to get over the "hump" as you would step up to the monorail.
Almost 100% of the buses are equipped with either a power lift or ramp at the back door of the bus. When waiting for the bus, stand near where the back door of the bus would be when it stops. Make yourself visible to the bus driver and nod, wave or whatever to let the driver know you want to board (shake your head no or whatever if you don't want the approaching bus). You do need to back up the ramp or back onto the lift and then manouver into place once on the bus. The seats directly across from the back door fold up to make a space that can hold up to 2 wheelchairs or ecvs. The driver will strap the ecv down and off you go.
Are there places off-Disney property that rent the ECV's? Would this be easier and cheaper?
The park ecvs are limited quantity, first come, first serve so there might not be any left when you get to the park or of you park hop. Besides, you can only use them in the park where you rented them, so a lot of people choose to rent from off-site.
Here's a list of places DIS posters have reported good experiences with:
Care Medical:
http://www.caremedicalequipment.com/
Phone (407) 856-2273 • Toll Free U.S and Canada (800) 741-2282

Walker Mobility:
1-888-726-6837
www.walkermobility.com

RANDY'S Mobility is in Kissimmee 407-892-4777
http://randysmobility.com/

Colonial Medical
http://www.colonialmed.com/about_cms.html
(800)747-0246

http://www.scootaround.com/ Not much feedback. Several people who reported they had no problems.

I've been on my mom for months now to get herself a ECV she has arthritic, and has become very hard for her to get around.
She went to the grocery store and tried the scooter there. She has ridden it several times and is no longer afraid of it. The medical supply store is delivering her new scooter on Tuesday.
So have MIL try a scooter at the local store and let her see that it will improve her life.

Welcome,
Sue has covered just about everything. Trying the ECV at your local store is a good idea. The ECVs rented from an off site vendor are 3 wheeled and easier to manage. I've used an ECV at WDW for several years and love the independence it gives me. My DH isn't tired from pushing the w/c and I can go at my pace. I love having it to go arounad the resorts and Downtown Disney.
Have a great trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter