ECV / Scooter Rentals

Fºoºz

DIS Veteran
Sorry about reposting ...
looking at renting a scooter for the first time, for my DW during our stays at DL and WDW before/after our cruises. She has been on disabillity for over 10 years and her mobility and stamina is very limited as she requires a cane to get around now ... last time we were at WDW was about 10 yrs ago and it has been 16 years since DL. So anything to make things more comfortable and not over-extend her and to mitigate any health concerns ... thus the issue of a scooter ...
... but have some questions ...

• There hasn't been any incidents where a scooter has been 'lifted' (i.e. stolen) has there? When you rent a scooter, do the companies off-site have "damage/theft" riders avail for purchase? Vandalism I hope is pretty rare ...
  • I saw that some scooters are outfitted with lights - I read somewhere here that someone was thinking of getting a bicycle LED light to put on - is it recommended or a good idea to put a light on if you are scootering around at night?
  • Is it recommended to cover the steering wheel assembly if there is a possibility of rain?
  • Someone mentioned somewhere that DL is more compact than the Magic Kingdom at WDW so feels more crowded and is less conducive to ECV traffic - is it more convenient to walk around DL and save use of the scooter for DtD and DCA?

Thanks for any info you may be able to provide on the matter.

Fºoºz;44136300 said:
Sorry about reposting ...

... but have some questions ...

• There hasn't been any incidents where a scooter has been 'lifted' (i.e. stolen) has there? We parked our scooters overnight in the hallway of the Grand Californian. The desk clerk said they haven't lost a scooter yet. Your wife would keep the key with her whenever she isn't on the scooter, so that discourages theft. When you rent a scooter, do the companies off-site have "damage/theft" riders avail for purchase? Vandalism I hope is pretty rare ...
  • I saw that some scooters are outfitted with lights - I read somewhere here that someone was thinking of getting a bicycle LED light to put on - is it recommended or a good idea to put a light on if you are scootering around at night? The scooters we've rented have come with lights. Not that they make it easier for us to see, but easier for us to be seen by others. Disneyland is pretty well lit.
  • Is it recommended to cover the steering wheel assembly if there is a possibility of rain? She could bring a shower cap for that.
  • Someone mentioned somewhere that DL is more compact than the Magic Kingdom at WDW so feels more crowded and is less conducive to ECV traffic - is it more convenient to walk around DL and save use of the scooter for DtD and DCA? WDW gets crowded too. We do Disney in the off-season and just try to avoid crowds as much as possible. No, we still don't walk through Disneyland -- just lower the speed knob on the scooter and go with the flow.

Thanks for any info you may be able to provide on the matter.

Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter