ECV Rentals Thanks all

NancyDVC

DIS Veteran
We just got back from 8 days at OKW. My best friend has been having increasing problems walking/standing etc. this winter due to arthritis. In the past she rented an ECV at Epcot and AK for the day. This trip looked to be a tough one until I started reading this board. Thanks to all of you we rented an ECV from Walker Medical. Wonderful folks. The rental was easily accomplished over the phone. They answered all my questions (what about problems, care for the ECV etc.)
The ECV was waiting for us when we arrived at OKW. It worked beautifully all week. We never needed the 'shower cap' for the controls becaus eit didn't rain. But we had brought a clear plastic bag from home to cover the seat in case of rain if we were in a building with the ECV left outside.
My friend had a bit of difficulty at first negotiating the buses but was a pro by the end of our stay. The bus drivers were all wonderful about loading and unloading and guiding her through it. Some of the guests however did not get the concept of loading the ECVs and wheelchairs first. Some grumbled or gave dirty looks so I politely explained that it was a safety issue to load the EVC/wheelchairs first. (Not to mention courtesy.)
Also I can't believe how many times I was holding a door for my friend to go through and others barged right on through the door without so much as a thank you or even a nod. My usual response to folks who barge through doors is to respond with a firm "You're Welcome". My You're Welcomes did get louder as more folks barged past her. :mad:
I asm aphysical therapist in a hospital and you wouldn't believe the looks and remarks I get when I ask visitors to please step aside and let us take the patients (in wheelchairs or stretchers) first and to please take the next elevator to give the patients some privacy. :rolleyes: I fthey were in the situation maybe they would understand. At least I hope so.
Thanks again for all your help. As usual DISers came through!:wave2:

Glad to hear you had a good time and thanks for the report.
We have also found our share of rude people at WDW, but usually for each rude one, you encounter at least one nice one. I figure what goes around, comes around, so they will get payment for their rude behavior some day.

I am so glad that you had a great trip and that your EVC worked out. We used Walker for my Aunt last year and they were great!!
You should have seen the looks on people’s faces when we had the scooter and a wheelchair to load on the bus. I will never understand why people get so mad because they have to wait a few extra minutes. Same with going through doors. Some times there was a nice cast member to hold the door. And I figure that most people on vacation leave their brains at home because they are too busy having fun.
Luckily we stayed at GF and used monarials as much as possible. All the bus drivers were awesome though. One night we had dinner reservations at Boma and originally I had planned to go to DAK for a few hours, but we were too tired. And you know that you can’t get a bus directly from resort to resort. I was explaining to this to my aunt and the bus driver overheard and he took us directly to the Lodge. He marked the bus special and said because we were so special. I wish that I would have gotten his name so I could tell someone how great he was.

chrissy

Originally posted by NancyDVC
My friend had a bit of difficulty at first negotiating the buses but was a pro by the end of our stay. The bus drivers were all wonderful about loading and unloading and guiding her through it. Some of the guests however did not get the concept of loading the ECVs and wheelchairs first. Some grumbled or gave dirty looks so I politely explained that it was a safety issue to load the EVC/wheelchairs first. (Not to mention courtesy.)

Also I can't believe how many times I was holding a door for my friend to go through and others barged right on through the door without so much as a thank you or even a nod. My usual response to folks who barge through doors is to respond with a firm "You're Welcome". My You're Welcomes did get louder as more folks barged past her.

Nancy, I am glad to read that you & your friend had a good trip to WDW & that the ECV was a good idea.

I have found the WDW bus drivers to be very friendly & helpful when I have gotten on & off the busses. I usually get their names & make a phone call to a transportation supervisor to compliment them.

On our last trip we were waiting to get on the bus at our resort. When I saw the bus we needed pull up I moved forward to get the eye of the bus driver to communicate I would like to get on his bus. Well, this rude lady walked very quickly in front of me & headed to the front of the bus. I'm sure she wanted to get on the bus before I did. Well, like you observed, EVCs, wheelchairs, etc. load first. I got a good laugh out of it.

I, too, say, "You're Welcome!" when someone acts the way you describe. But most guests are very courteous to me in the ECV especially when I am by myself at the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter