ECV rental companies and costs

h&D3

Mouseketeer
This is my first time that I will be renting an ECV from a company outside the parks so I'll have it for our entire trip. (I've only ever used the ones in the parks - but my knee has gotten worse, so I'd like one for the entire trip. I can walk through the que lines so I'll leave it at the entrance where I can, but it's just the general walking around the park that I'd never make. Plus, my knee would be toast by the time I got from the parking lot to the main entrance)

We are doing a split stay (AKL and then the DoubleTree in Disney Springs) - 17 days total next August.

From reading the various threads, I understand that there are several different companies out there that people have used.

I'm trying to figure out which one to use...

I know the costs vary widely (so widely that it blows my mind that they can be so different)

What I have narrowed down are the following companies.
I'll be renting for 17 days (drop at hotel on day 1 around 7pm, and pickup 7pm the evening before we leave)

I've been looking at the 4-wheel Victory model from each of these companies. I feel better knowing I have 4 wheels vs. three. To me knowing I have that 4th wheel makes it a little more sturdy and solid.

4-wheel version
Scooterbug - Victory: about $500 total for the rental including taxes. (Although they say that the tiller cover is not available for my rental - What can I use instead of the one they don't have? A plastic bag or ?) I think the damage waiver was included in the price.

GMS - Victory: $364 - taxes not included in this price (I'm not seeing a tiller cover as an option for the rental) I think the damage waiver was included in the price as well. Plus it looks like it comes with extras like a fan, phone holder, etc.

Buena Vista rental was close to $1000 for a Victory model for this same time period. (I can't believe they charge for every item!)

3-wheel scooter - really wanted a 4-wheel but I like some of the features they offer.
Walker: (Triple Lindy) came out to about $455 but this is a 3-wheel ECV. I do like the fact that they say that their scooters have a long-life battery and can be run in the rain (not that I want to, but just in case we get caught in a downpour) I think the damage waiver was included in the price.

I like the price range of Walker and GMS, but I like the fact that Scooterbug is the official ECV company if anything happens they are right on site. Also like the fact that they will drop off at bell services and pickup and I don't have to be there to meet them. (although, I probably will be there just in case)

I like that GMS and Scooterbug offer the 4 wheel versions.
I also like the fact that Walker has the extra battery life (29 hours?) and can be run in the rain - but would prefer a 4 wheel ECV.

So I'm torn on who to go with.

Based on those of you who have rented, who did you go with?
Did you rent a 3-wheel or 4-wheel ECV?
Did you ever run into any issues with your rental? If so, how quickly were they resolved?
Did you ever get stuck in the rain with your ECV? What did you do?
How long did your battery last? We do plan on taking breaks where I can charge it, but can one of these really go all day? (29 hours seems like a really long time with no charges) :eek:
Did you have any "surprise" fees that were not figured in that you were not aware of.
Were they easy to break down for car transport? We'll have a mini-van, a Tahoe, or a Suburban for our rental car :car: so space shouldn't be an issue. (I hope)
How was the customer service from the company you used?
What else do I need to know or that I didn't think of.

TIA!
~D

Did you ever run into any issues with your rental? If so, how quickly were they resolved?
How long did your battery last? We do plan on taking breaks where I can charge it, but can one of these really go all day? (29 hours seems like a really long time with no charges) :eek:
Did you have any "surprise" fees that were not figured in that you were not aware of.
Were they easy to break down for car transport? We'll have a mini-van, a Tahoe, or a Suburban for our rental car :car: so space shouldn't be an issue. (I hope)
Gold (GMS) is our preferred vendor. Price has always been the lowest if we’re doing more than a few days. Plus they have many free add-ons like phone-holder, fan, etc. Extra add-ons very reasonably priced. They give shower hair nets that cover the tiller in rain, plus a few ponchos.

Reliability has always been great. We ran one scooter from MK to Bay Lake Tower in a flooding monsoon with no issues. We’ve had issues with batteries from other vendors; not with Gold. Long battery life and everything is proper working order.

We like the 3 wheel because it’s much easier to maneuver through tight spaces. Victory 10 is a work horse. We upgrade to the Captain’s Chair for comfort and run the EVC sometimes from 7am to past midnight. Depending on hills and mileage, we may decide to charge it during afternoon or dinner just to make sure no issue on a long day. Some of our favorite places are outside ABC Commissary in HS and inside Columbia Harbor House MK, they just seem to jive well with our plans at those parks. All the parks have usable outlets scattered, some more listed here: https://plandisney.disney.go.com/question/places-charge-scooters-disney-parks-520399/

We did break down 2 different times using other vendors than Gold. Both nicely switched out scooters at front of park but I’d rather not deal with it lol. I think we’re 6 for 6 trips having zero issues with Gold. Plus they’ll plan personal dropoff/pick-up times with you rather than a ‘schedule by resort’ to choose from. Always prompt and courteous.

Breaking down the EVC. Take the batteries out. It’s a little more time but by golly so much easier on your back when doing multiple times. We take the seat and basket off, take out the 2 batteries, then the heavy motor piece in back can be separated from the front. We’ve fit 2 scooters in an extra large SUV so you should have no problem there with one. With 1 ECV you can still fit 5 passengers in first 2 rows.

Tip - Last rain storm we got caught in, BLT lobby had stacks of clean towels to dry off. I’d imagine AKL might also.

Oh - Always charge it overnight! You may be tempted to leave in vehicle overnight but much easier to start with full battery the next day. Depending which resort and room location, sometimes we charge in our room, sometimes in hall. We’ve been told to charge in hall by a few resorts.

Gold Mobility, they do include a tiller cover (really just a shower cap, which you can ask the front desk of your hotel for as well). Also including in their price is:
Captains Chair (you WILL want this for that long of a trip)
Fan
Cell Phone Holder
Cup Holder
Damage AND Theft waiver (this is huge and an add on with others, although many don't even offer theft waivers)

All of these things will make a huge difference on that long of a trip.

For AKL, you will need to meet them in person, but they meet on your schedule. Buena Vista only delivers at certain times of the day depending on resort. At Doubletree, you should be able to drop off at Bell Services, it confirm with Gold on that.

Gold Mobility will come into the parks if you have any issues, although is possible, they do prefer meeting at the font of the park, but if needed will come to you, which is highly unlikely with them. They usually show up within 30 to 60 minutes or less (assuming they can't help you fix it over the phone), DH has talked with people that rented from Scooter if that had to wait 2 hours to show up, don't know if that is typical or not, just anecdotal experience.

A lot of people have issues with Scooter Bug.

We tend to find that Gold Mobility scooters last us all day, as they use 50 AMP batteries (largest of any company) in their Victory 10s, seriously they usually drop one, maybe two lights going from park opening to park close, in the past Buena Vista about 1/2 of the day and Scooter Bug about a 1/4 of the day, no personal experience with Walker.

With Gold Mobility you won't have to worry about plugging in.

Gold is also working on their own model which won't need a tiller cover in the rain last DH has heard about it, but it isn't quite in production yet, but a heads up depending.on how far away your trip is.

My vote is for Walker Mobility. Reasonable price, reliable scooter & they'll deliver to your Disney Resort room if you ask nicely!! lol!

My vote is for Walker Mobility. Reasonable price, reliable scooter & they'll deliver to your Disney Resort room if you ask nicely!! lol!
I should have mentioned Gold will too, either are likely good, just no experience with Walker pm our end, but I do know they don't have as much inventory as Gold does, so if something does go wrong, you could be waiting longer on a replacement, not saying you will, just that it is possible.

This is my first time that I will be renting an ECV from a company outside the parks so I'll have it for our entire trip. (I've only ever used the ones in the parks - but my knee has gotten worse, so I'd like one for the entire trip. I can walk through the que lines so I'll leave it at the entrance where I can, but it's just the general walking around the park that I'd never make. Plus, my knee would be toast by the time I got from the parking lot to the main entrance)

We are doing a split stay (AKL and then the DoubleTree in Disney Springs) - 17 days total next August.

From reading the various threads, I understand that there are several different companies out there that people have used.

I'm trying to figure out which one to use...

I know the costs vary widely (so widely that it blows my mind that they can be so different)

What I have narrowed down are the following companies.
I'll be renting for 17 days (drop at hotel on day 1 around 7pm, and pickup 7pm the evening before we leave)

I've been looking at the 4-wheel Victory model from each of these companies. I feel better knowing I have 4 wheels vs. three. To me knowing I have that 4th wheel makes it a little more sturdy and solid.

4-wheel version
Scooterbug - Victory: about $500 total for the rental including taxes. (Although they say that the tiller cover is not available for my rental - What can I use instead of the one they don't have? A plastic bag or ?) I think the damage waiver was included in the price.

GMS - Victory: $364 - taxes not included in this price (I'm not seeing a tiller cover as an option for the rental) I think the damage waiver was included in the price as well. Plus it looks like it comes with extras like a fan, phone holder, etc.

Buena Vista rental was close to $1000 for a Victory model for this same time period. (I can't believe they charge for every item!)

3-wheel scooter - really wanted a 4-wheel but I like some of the features they offer.
Walker: (Triple Lindy) came out to about $455 but this is a 3-wheel ECV. I do like the fact that they say that their scooters have a long-life battery and can be run in the rain (not that I want to, but just in case we get caught in a downpour) I think the damage waiver was included in the price.

I like the price range of Walker and GMS, but I like the fact that Scooterbug is the official ECV company if anything happens they are right on site. Also like the fact that they will drop off at bell services and pickup and I don't have to be there to meet them. (although, I probably will be there just in case)

I like that GMS and Scooterbug offer the 4 wheel versions.
I also like the fact that Walker has the extra battery life (29 hours?) and can be run in the rain - but would prefer a 4 wheel ECV.

So I'm torn on who to go with.

TIA!
~D
another who prefers 3 wheels to 4. have used Walker years ago and have heard many good things about Golds. and yes cover is a shower cap. never had one that broke down to fit in car as we did not need that. and yes mine lasted all day in parks with no in park or mid day charging. did have an issue with mine and they met me at the park I was in

As for transporting the victory 10, DH removes the seat and basket, puts the tiller down. Then puts it in neutral, ports the front onto the back bumper and lifts the back of the scooter in, using the bumper to essentially turn the scooter into a lever and pushes.

It fits with three people in an Ioniq 5, you can fit up.to about 5 in most Mini Vans with one scooter (you may not need to remove the seat in a mini van)

And yes, 3 wheels is much easier than the 4 wheels to maneuver.

The Victory 10 does break apart though, but it is harder to reassemble than the gogo sport, but still doable.

One other comment is he uses a bumper buddy thing that Velcro to the floor.of the trunk space and folds out to protect the bumper, it is lightweight, inexpensive and folds.small for travel, goo.protection to avoid paying for damage to the rental car

And the customer service from Gold is nothing short of amazing, there is a reason they get all 5 star reviews on all review sites. You won't be disappointed with them in my opinion. As I said could be the case with Walker too, just no personal experience there.

Last edited:
Gold has been consistently good and I've gotten all day battery life in the parks with their scooters. I rented from Scooterbug in July and the thing they brought me originally was ****e - would roll forwards or backwards uncontrollably or not work at all. The replacement was ok - but wow is their stuff beat up. Gold's stuff has generally looked brand new. I really miss the cup holder if I don't have it.

You don't need a 4 wheel unless you plan to go at top speed and see how hard you can corner around a bend. The 3 wheel is MUCH more maneuverable in the lines and anywhere else you want to take it (elevators). I know you say you won't take it in lines but if you decide to do so - the 3 wheel you can turn on a dime and the 4 wheel has the feeling of driving a tractor trailer with a bus pulled behind it...it's just not very nimble. You will still find times you want to make sharper turns than the 4 wheel allows (at lower speed) like trying to go around people who stop in front of you to look at their phones or what not.

It may not bother you - but the Gold scooter does not do the annoying BEEP BEEP BEEP whenever you put it in reverse. This drives me crazy with other scooters. It's also massively annoying to people around you since it's like an alarm noise that everyone looks at. Scooterbug's ECV had it. I spent the whole trip trying not to go backwards it bothered me so much.

I have rented from Gold several times and will be next week. I always get the 3 wheeler as more manoeuvrable. Shower cap provided for tiller. Love the ability to charge my phone and the fan. They really go all day, my husband loves to walk and we go between Epcot and Hollywood studios alongside the waterway. There communication is excellent

I used Buena Vista once. Never again. The battery would not keep a charge and it took them over an hour to replace the scooter. They wanted me to push it to the front of the park. I'm traveling by myself. Nope. The replacement "thing" they brought me looked like it had been in a demolition derby. It was embarrassing to drive.

Since that experience, I have only rented with Gold. This will be my 6th time (I think). They are the absolute best! I prefer meeting them when they drop off the scooter. They can get the seat and tiller set up just right for me. Plus if there are any issues, they can be addressed immediately. The delivery guy gave me his personal cell phone number to contact him if I had any issues. I only needed to use it to reschedule my pickup time.

I always get the 3-wheel. It's much more maneuverable in the queues. Just keep the speed at turtle and you'll be fine. If you are worried about tipping over, don't be. The 3-wheel have small wheels hidden under the scooter to help prevent tipping.

Never with Gold.

I got stuck in a downpour while at Animal Kingdom. I made my way to the nearest covered space I could find. I put on my reusable waterproof and windproof rain poncho (Swiss Gear brand from a camping store). Made sure the back went over the back of the seat. I personally do not like the re-useable rain ponchos. They are too flimsy and tear easily. My camping one has lasted me for years. Put the clear shower cap over the tiller. Then went back out into the rain. As long as the tiller controls stay dry, you're good to go.

Like many others, my Gold scooter batteries have lasted the entire park day without any issues. Usually only go down 2 bars on the power meter and that is a day that was open to close with extra hours (so it was easily close to being a 16 hour park day). The only time that it got low was during a February trip when the temperature never really got above 50 (closer to freezing when the sun went away). This is the nature of anything that runs on batteries. They just don't like the cold. Good battery etiquette is to turn off the scooter whenever you are stopped (even for just a few minutes). This will help keep the battery from draining. Always charge your battery overnight, regardless of how much power it may still have. Always keep your charging cable with the scooter, so you can top off while at meals if necessary.

Gold is very upfront regarding their fees. They even include certain fees that other ECV providers charge extra for. You really need to compare the websites to see what is and isn't included.

Were they easy to break down for car transport? We'll have a mini-van, a Tahoe, or a Suburban for our rental car :car: so space shouldn't be an issue.
I've only used Disney transportation, so I can't help answer this.

Gold is the absolute best. I've had to reschedule my meeting time due to flight delays. They just said to let them know when I landed in MCO and they would meet me at the resort, which they did!

Whoever you ended up using, always try to attach something to your scooter so it is easily identifiable. I use a beach towel on the seat. At some point during your trip, your ECV may not be where you parked it before going on a ride. This is because Cast Members are constantly having to shuffle and re-arrange the ECV and Stroller parking areas to keep them from overflowing into walk ways. If you have something bright on it, you can ask a CM if they could help you find the ECV with the bright green beach towel with purple spots (for example). Something I'm going to use this year is an Air Tag. It'll be my first Disney trip since I got some, so it'll be a test.
Don't be tempted to charge your ECV in the hall way of your hotel. It's too easy of a target for someone to move "as a joke" (at best) or take it for a joy ride and leave it damaged somewhere (at worst). Plus, it could be a hazard in case of an emergency evacuation of the hotel. Just keep it in your room, plugged in and snug for the night.

Looks like you've gotten some great information, and I'm glad everyone's recommending a 3-wheel. I did have an issue once with a Gold Mobility Scooter, out of about 8 times I've rented from them-my scooter lost battery life faster than "normal". After renting so many times, I have an idea what "normal" should be. I called them from Epcot (thanks, DVC lounge) and in about 45 minutes, I had a new scooter. I strongly agree with the recommendation to attach something to make your scooter identifiable. Several times I've had such courteous CMs who say, after an attraction, "Let me bring over your scooter. Which one is it?" as we look at a sea of scooters. It's so nice for both of us that I can say "It's the one over there with the pink bandana on it"
Regarding charging, one night I forgot to charge my scooter. It lasted at least until lunchtime the next day, then I was so nervous, I went back and plugged it in at the resort for a few hours. Someone else gave me this tip about charging-once you've set it up to charge, plugged it in for the night-check the battery that a little light is on (I forget the color-maybe blinking red?) Someone found out the next morning that the outlet they'd used was dead, so their scooter hadn't charged.
I got stuck in the rain, once-pouring rain at AK-seems like everyone does! As I was driving as quickly as possible to the bus stop, there was a big area with cones and tape around it and water up to ankles (I know because some people didn't believe the tape meant they weren't supposed to walk there). I was soaked to the bone when I got back to my resort-but my scooter still ran.
I've rented those that break down (when DH came with a car) and those that don't (when I'm solo). Your vehicle should be perfectly adequate.

I recommend Walker Mobility, you won't need a tiller cover because, their scooters are water resistant ! :) Rates are great and their scooters are transportable. Their battery will last the entire day and I'll still have plenty of battery life at the end of the night. Live agents and drivers are so professional and attentive to your needs. I will never rent from anyone else after them.

Pretty much how we feel about Gold Mobility and they are working on a waterproof model that can be transported of their own.

I’m down here now and saw a bunch of scooterbug ecvs parked outside the bell services. The ones with the captain chair look good to me and not as decrepit as the regular one I rented in June. Just made me wonder if their captain chair model which is more expensive is also better maintained. I think it’s closer to $50 a day so hard to say it’s a money saver.

Likely the ones with the captains chair doesn't get rented as often from Scooterbug. This will mean it looks nice and is in better repair, but the batteries will likely be in worse condition from underuse.

And yeah, it is more expensive with most rental companies, but oh so much more comfortable, which is one of the reasons we like Gold Mobility, they give the captains seat at no extra cost.

One other comment is he uses a bumper buddy thing that Velcro to the floor.of the trunk space and folds out to protect the bumper, it is lightweight, inexpensive and folds.small for travel, goo.protection to avoid paying for damage to the rental car
What exactly is a bumper buddy and where do we get this from?

What exactly is a bumper buddy and where do we get this from?
Basically, it velcroes to the back carpet in the your car, then you can fold it out to protect the bumper and fold it back in when done.

And Amazon has various ones like this:

Encell Foldable Car Bumper Guard Trunk Bumper Protector https://a.co/d/iWgwJVf

Note there is no referral or anything in the link, just shared from my mobile app.

Basically, it velcroes to the back carpet in the your car, then you can fold it out to protect the bumper and fold it back in when done.

And Amazon has various ones like this:

Encell Foldable Car Bumper Guard Trunk Bumper Protector https://a.co/d/iWgwJVf

Note there is no referral or anything in the link, just shared from my mobile app.
Just came back to say we have that exact bumper protector, and it works very nicely!

The 3 wheel Victory is stable.. I haven't read a single post describing issues. I agree with Gold suggestions. Use a Mears accessible taxi to go to Doubletree. Same price as a regular taxi. R U cheap. Take a Disney bus to DS then scooter to your hotel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter