ECV Questions

Mom949499

Earning My Ears
The last few times we've been to WDW my mother has rented an ECV from an outside company. It's been a life saver for her since she has circulatory problems that make walking any distance very painful. Since our last trip, she has purchased her own ECV. It's a slightly smaller model, so I was wondering if there's any way we can fly it down to FL. Has anyone ever done this?

Part of the reason I'm asking is that we're doing a Disney Cruise Land/Sea package this time. We'll be at the Caribbean for 4 days and the cruise for 3. Can she bring an ECV on the cruise? If we can't bring hers and we rent one, should we rent one at WDW and then another one at Port Canaveral? If we can't use the ECV on the ship, does DCL have wheelchairs available? If she tries to do all that walking she'll be miserable.

Thanks for any input you can give. This cruise thing is new to us and I really want my Mom to be able to enjoy it.

Mom949499

Yes, you can bring it with you. Contact your airline for more detailed information. You need to be certain that the batteries are the non-spill gel and not liquid.

Normally it can be "gate-checked", so she will drive it through the airport and they will take it from her at the gate and use an elevator to get it to the plane. They will then return it to her at the gate when she arrives. It helps a lot if you are on a direct flight where there is no change of planes necessary.

Make sure when you check it that you take the key out and put it in "freewheel" so it can be pushed. (This way they can't "play" with it.) If there is any question about how to put it in and out of freewheel print a LARGE instruction sheet and put it in a plastic holder attached to the ECV. If there is any possibility that the batteries might have to be removed, again print a LARGE set of instructions and attach it.

Getting to/from the port, the bus should be lift equipped. If it is, she should load the ECV and then go into a regular seat. On some of the buses they may want to just lower the tiller and put it in the underbus luggage compartment; this is also acceptable.

I have heard of people renting ECVs for the cruise, so bringing her own should not be any problem.

Remember to bring the charger!!!!!!

Thanks, Chesire Figment.

I appreciate the info. I'll talk to the airlines and get that all setup. Knowing my Mom can get around will be a huge load off my mind. Now I can REALLY look forward to the trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter