• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ECV Question

shoppie

Time to plan the next trip!!!
Is there a better company to rent a ecv from? I've heard of people running out of batteries mid-day. Anyone have any suggestions???

I used Walker and was thrilled with how wonderful it was. The evc was there apon arrival at the hotel. Fully charged, didnt run out of batteries until 2 days later. Great service from Walker!
Aimee

does it come apart or is it solid? Do you know how much it weighed?

The ECVs that are rented by the off-site companies normally are the three-wheel ECVs, unlike the 4-wheelers rented by Disney. They are much more maneuverable and there is much better control of the speed.

All the literature I have read is that generally the batteries are good for about 25 miles on a charge. Normally a person will go 8 to 10 miles in a day at WDW. Plugging it in overnight in your room will easily bring the batteries back to full charge. I have had some days where I would leave the ECV in the car overnight and it was still good for the entire next day.

The rentals generally break into five pieces, the seat, the two battery packs, the motor/rear wheel assembly, and the main body (which includes thee front wheel tiller, seat mount, floorboards and battery brackets). The heaviest piece is 39 pounds.

As far as cars are concerned, to get all five parts into the trunk of a Buick Century (4-Door Sedan) is a tight fit; a Buick LeSabre has plenty of room, and a Buick Park Avenue is even larger. My wn car is a 1997 Ford Taurus 4-Door Sedan. I can get the entire ECV into the trunk, but find it easier to put the seat on the rear seat of the car.

I don't know anything firsthand about ecvs because DD has her own manual and power wheelchairs. But, from what I know about power wheelchair and what I have read about ecvs, how far you can go on one charge depends on the weight of the person, how fast you go and the type of conditions (like is it hilly or flat). For example, my DD's power wheelchair says it can be driven for 12 miles by someone at the maximum weight of 200 pounds. Since DD is only about 85 pounds, she can easily go several days without charging.
That said, most people are able to go a full day without recharging. But, if you bring the charger with you, there are places at WDW where you can plug in your ecv when you are eating or resting so that you don't have to worry about running out.

Thanks for the info - I was nervous about running out battery power. Luckily I am no where near the 200 pound limit.

I've rented from Randy's and Care without any problems at all. In fact for my last trip I needed a garanteed 8am delivery and only Care would guarantee it for me, and they came thru with their promise.

I've gone from 7am to midnight in an ECV and have never run out of power. If you need to though, in most places you can charge it at lunchtime while you eat.

When I've rented from Walkers Bob or Julie usually ask me what time I will be arriving and if it is early in the day they deliver the ECV the day ahead and when leaving if I have a late departure time they pick it up the next day so I have a full day's use on both ends of my trip.
I've done three parks in one day from Early Entry to Illuminations on one charge without a problem (except that I needed a recharge myself).

I have never had a problem with this, even with LONG park days in Epcot. I recharge at night every day. I rent from Walker and weigh more than I'd like :( but am still in the "regular" size scooter. I know they do ask how much you weigh so you can get more power if necessary.

I wonder if the person you spoke with had a single battery scooter. I was stopped by a woman who wanted to know how I addressed recharging. We compared scooters and hers (rented from a place I had never heard of) had a single battery. Mine have always had two.

Re fitting it in a car, we rent a 4 door compact and put part of it in the back seat. It's just the two of us, though.

:wave: Cupcake

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter