• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ECV question

ehsween

Mouseketeer
We are going in January with my mom who will most likely need an ECV to get through the day. I guess I'm wondering about the availibility of these. I mean, do they run out of them every day? How much do they cost? I'd hate to plan on her getting one everyday when we get into the parks and then have them be all rented out for the whole day. Then what would we do? Anyway, does anyone have anything to say about this?

ehsween said:
We are going in January with my mom who will most likely need an ECV to get through the day. I guess I'm wondering about the availibility of these. I mean, do they run out of them every day? How much do they cost? I'd hate to plan on her getting one everyday when we get into the parks and then have them be all rented out for the whole day. Then what would we do? Anyway, does anyone have anything to say about this?
Read the FAQ section at the top of the page. Rent an ECV from an off-site vendor and avoid not only the hassle of fighting for an ECV every day but also the aches and pains that are a result of having to manhandle one of the Disney machines!

ehsween said:

The ones in Parks stay in the parks.
And yes they are in a limited number and first come first served so they run out during busy times.

I would also suggest that because of mobility issues she should rent an EVC
(Electric scooter) from an offsite company.
I have limited mobility and have rented mine from Care Medical (800-741-2282) and Walker Mobility (888-726-6837) in the past. I would recommend either one. The cost is about $30 a day. The ones at the parks cost $35 a day and are bigger and have 4 wheels kinda like a golf cart. They are much harder to steer and to control. If she rents from an offsite rental they will deliver the EVC to bell services at the resort. She can use it to go to the pool, and get around the resort as well as the bus stop.

Almost all the Disney buses are accessible. I love using my EVC it gives me more independence and helps keep my pain to a minimum. If she decides to rent an EVC (which I highly recommend) she can practice using one at a local store such as Wal Mart or Target. Those are a little bigger than the rental ones but the practice will help.

Disney started mainstreaming most of their lines in the late 1990's. Those in WC/EVC will usually enter in the regular line. She will be able to stay in EVC until just before boarding most of the time.
Sometimes the WC/EVC may be pulled from the mainstream line part way down so they can board the ride in an
Accessible area. EVC's can't climb steps so sometimes they need to take an elevator. Or they may need to board a ride where the riders usually exit in case
they need an accessible vehicle or need the moving sidewalk slowed or stopped so they can board.

You can pickup a book for Guests with disabilities at Guest Services or you download a copy of the book which is posted on the disABILITIES board.
Have fun at Disney!

So, one of my questions were about the DW transportation. We will be staying at one of the value resorts and using the buses and other DW transportation to get around. Will she be able to do this with her EVC? Thanks everyone, for your help. I will have to find the link for that guest guide.

ehsween said:
So, one of my questions were about the DW transportation. We will be staying at one of the value resorts and using the buses and other DW transportation to get around. Will she be able to do this with her EVC? Thanks everyone, for your help. I will have to find the link for that guest guide.

I stay at the All Star resorts and
I always use Disney transportation.
When you go to the bus stop the WC/EVC line is to the left of the regular line since the WC/EVC lift is located at the back door of the bus. Be sure to wait there with your family.The WC/EVC's are loaded first for safety reasons.
The rest of your family will enter through the rear door Then the bus driver will close that door and open the front door so the rest of the guests can board.

Have fun!

My hubby has his own personal ECV and we stay at All-Stars and use the busses quite extensively. The Disney busses are great at moving ECVs around.

Also, if you see multiple Disney trips in you mother's future, she might want to consider looking for a used ECV to purchase for her personal use. Look in your local paper, many can be purchased for under $500. A couple of Disney trips and renting them, you've paid for it. Airplanes will transport them for you.

Although, my hubby's ECV used to be my grandmother's, and we did not purchase it, some friends of ours, who have had multiple foot surgeries did that very thing, and found two ECVs at a flea market for $400 each. They only use them at Disney and other extensive walking vacations, but it has been well worth the investment.

There is information in the disABILITIES FAQs thread about boarding the buses with an ECV (written for us by a CM who was a bus driver at the time).
There is also a link in the disABILITIES FAQs thread to the WDW webpage that minnie61650 posted a link to.
The monorails and most of the boats are also accessible to wheelchairs and ECVs.
We just got back from WDW and rented an ECV from Randy's Mobility fro one of our party. We were pleased with the service and the condition of the ECV (it looked almost new). You really can't go wrong with any of the companies listed in the disABILITIES FAQs thread (Randy's, Walker or Care).
My FIL didn't want to get on the bus with a rented ECV; he has seen DD's wheelchair loaded many times over the years, but he preferred to rent at the parks. He rented one at Epcot and MGM several days later in the day with no problem, but there is no guarantee that there will be any when you get there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter