ECV and Wheelchairs in Epcot

4merlurkerchris

Mouseketeer
Hi,
Just wondering if anyone knows if, subject to availability, can you rent ECVor wheelchair at the International Gateway? Also, I know that the parks have limited amounts of ECV and wheelchairs, but if we go late afternoon, is availability okay? I thought that maybe by that time, some people would have left the parks and that there may be ECV or wheelchairs available then.
Thanks!!
Chris

Chris, ECVs can be rented from the International Gateway at EPCOT. However, the ECVs are not always available throughout the day & evening. when a guest returnes an ECV, Disney recharges it, so it is not always available right away.

I would definitely rent an ECV from an off site supplier. I'm sure Cheshire Figment will be along & share his info about renting off site. Or read other threads here about ECVs, & you'll come across his posts.

I started using an ECV at WDW by renting one at the parks. I probably rented from Disney for about four trips. However, renting from Disney presented a few "issues:"

*no guarantee the park will have an ECV regardless of time of day (I was at EPCOT Mother's Day 2002 a half hour after the park opened & no ECVs available at either entrance);

*if you want to park hop there is no guarantee of an ECV at the second park;

*four wheels on a Disney ECV vs. three on an off site ECV (at least the ones I have rented from Walker); three wheels gave me a better turning radius;

*battery holds up much better on the rented ECV vs. the Disney one; I can tell you where in each of the four parks my Disney rented ECV "died;"

*if you rent an ECV you will have it every where you want it - the parks, Downtown Disney, other resorts, etc.

The last several trips I have rented from Walker Mobility & had a very good experience. The ECV has been delivered in a timely manner; the battery has lasted all day & night; the cost is similar to Disney, & I have the ECV more than just in the parks; etc.

As for using an ECV - go for it! You have a need & the ECV will make your trip more enjoyable.

On my last trip we stayed at OKW & I used the busses to the parks. I was hesitant, but the bus drivers were so friendly & very helpful.

Here is the information JudithM said I would post. I would agree with all of the ponts she raised.

You may be better off renting an ECV, as pushing a wheelchair can get very tiresome, especially if you are not used to it. Also it depends on the weight of the passenger and the condition of the pusher(s). Some information for off-site rentals are:

Walker Mobility:
1-888-726-6837
www.walkermobility.com

Care Medical:
http://www.caremedicalequipment.com/

RANDY'S Mobility is in Kissimmee 407-892-4777
http://randysmobility.com/

Colonial Medical
http://www.colonialmed.com/about_cms.html

I have used Walker a few times. They will ask for a credit card and charge it the day before arrival. They will deliver the ECV to your hotel bell services before your arrival and pick it up there after your departure. Their rates, especially for longer than a week, are much better than Disney's. Also, their scooters are much better.

You don't say if you are renting a car or what. If you are using a car for getting around, the ECVs break down into five pieces, the heaviest about 39 pounds. They take about a minute or so to take apart and about two minutes (once you are used to it) to put it together.

Another suggestion is find out your state's requirements for a temporary disabled hang tag and get the paper work and have your doctor sign off on it. The tag will allow you to use any of the handicap parking areas (which will be a necessity). Also, with the policy of charging for valet parking, with a handicap hang tag the fees will be waived. Also the valets will usually volunteer to assist in loading/unloading an ECV. In Virginia I printed the required form from the DMV website. When I took the completed form to the DMV Office it took less than 15 minutes from the time I walked in until I had my tag.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter