• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ECV and regular ASM room?

sarbee

Earning My Ears
We are scheduled to arrive on 12/2 and I learned today that I may have a hip injury which will require me to be non-weight bearing through the timeline of our trip. I assume it's too late to change to an accessible room (the resorts have been sold out for months on our dates) so I'm trying to figure out if there is enough room to bring an ECV into one of the newly remodeled ASM rooms. We will have 4 adults in the room.

Last edited:
I think the value resorts with the remodeled rooms are roughly the same interior size. I think I've stayed as on of the All Stars with an ECV - for sure at Pop - and there are 4 of us. The ECV will fit - I just leave it inside near the door and can plug it in there as well.

More and more rooms are opening up in early December so it may be worth it to keep checking.

I think the value resorts with the remodeled rooms are roughly the same interior size. I think I've stayed as on of the All Stars with an ECV - for sure at Pop - and there are 4 of us. The ECV will fit - I just leave it inside near the door and can plug it in there as well.

More and more rooms are opening up in early December so it may be worth it to keep checking.
Thanks - I'm mostly concerned about the larger beds after the remodel but I'm sure this is something they took into consideration. My TA already looked tonight and said there is nothing else available but she is going to put in a request anyway and we'll hope for the best.

Thanks - I'm mostly concerned about the larger beds after the remodel but I'm sure this is something they took into consideration.

It definitely helps to put the table bed up when you can but for sure you can have the bed down and the ECV parked by the door/window and walking between the bed and ECV to get to the door. It's a bit tight but not a problem. Some park it over closer to the bathroom at the spot where the door is if the room has a connecting door to another room. I haven't tried that.

I presume you can be weight bearing on one leg? if you needed to be seated and move about the room that would be another issue requiring a WC in the room and a roll in shower, etc.

Yes, I should be able to be weight bearing on one leg and I don't expect to need any other accommodations. Thank you for the help!

Yes, I should be able to be weight bearing on one leg and I don't expect to need any other accommodations. Thank you for the help!

Remember that the Resort may have a shower chair that can be placed in the tub for you to sit on while bathing. Place a towel in the bottom of the tub for safety (it's ok - when it gets wet, it will actually help prevent slipping! Just don't block the drain) and another on the floor outside.

Just as an FYI, the "handicapped" rooms at each Resort are exactly the same size as their "regular" counterparts; the bathrooms are just arranged differently, and have handrails.

Just as an FYI, the "handicapped" rooms at each Resort are exactly the same size as their "regular" counterparts; the bathrooms are just arranged differently, and have handrails.

I was looking at pictures of them last night - and it looked like the bathroom door opens up to the rest of the room vs. having that sink/closet space with all the storage. Is that the case?

Do the HC rooms have raised toilet seats? I presume they have grab bars for the toilet area? I really need these two things but the tub/shower part matters less. I'd really hate to loose all of that storage space of shelves around the sink however - with 4 of us in the room it really helps.

Sorry to put this on her thread but I thought she might be interested as well since she will have 4 adults in the room.

Last edited:

I was looking at pictures of them last night - and it looked like the bathroom door opens up to the rest of the room vs. having that sink/closet space with all the storage. Is that the case?
That is true at the values. It may be different at other resorts. But generally-speaking, a wheelchair-accessible room has the same square footage as a regular room, but the footage taken up by the bathroom is larger (and slightly less space around the bed area.

Wheelchair-accessible rooms will have rails at the toilet and tub, and rails in the bath or shower. Be aware some recently (? past few years) renovated rooms may only have a shower, no tub.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter