ECV access on Parking Lot Trams?

lucky978

Mouseketeer
For the life of me, I cannot find any information about the Parking Lot Trams and their accessibility for those in ECVs. We are going in December, and I'm wondering if I should drop my grandmother off at the main entrance with her ECV, or if I can just park in the parking lot and take the tram with her.

Also, is there even a way I can drop her off at the main entrance?

Anyone?

There is no way to get an ECV on a tram.

What you will need to do is have your grandmother get a handicap hang tag from the state DMV. It can be used in any car as long as she is in the car. It will allow parking in the "medical parking" at all the parks.

Also, it will get free valet parking at the deluxe hotels. However, the valets are tip positions; they don't get any part of the parking fee. Normally we tip the valets $1 or $2 both in and out. If they assist with the ECV (disassembly, loading, unloading and assembly) the tip is usually $5.

As Cheshire Figment said, there is no way to get an ecv on the parking trams.
The disABILITIES FAQ at the top of this forum can help you out with this question.
Your options when you are traveling with an ecv are:
- to park in the handicapped (they call it "Medical") parking with a handicapped parking permit. You do need to be aware that there is no tram service from the handicapped parking area for the rest of you. Depending on how far out in the handicapped parking area you are, it might be quite a walk to get to the turnstiles.
- to drop her off with the ecv. Most of the parks have a drop off area near/by the handicapped parking. Ask each CM when you are driving in. A big disadvantage to this is that she will have to wait while you park. We have not used the drop offs, but it looks like you might have to exit the lot to get to a parking spot (the drop offs are used by taxis).
- use the WDW transportation if you are staying on site. An ecv can be transported on the monorails, buses and the larger boats.

Thanks for the info. I don't understand why they make it so difficult for people to drop off at the main entrance. But that's most likely what we'll do. There will be enough of us that someone can wait with her.

I don't think she can get a handicap tag for the car. She is not disabled, just has difficulty with lots of walking as she is 84.

Originally posted by lucky978
just has difficulty with lots of walking.

If that's not a disability, what is?

You should be able to print a copy of the from from the state's web site. Have it filled in for the next time she visits her doctor. The worst is the doctor will say no. Having the hang tag does not mean it must always be used, only when there is a need. Just as we suggest people obtain a GAC, it is generally only used when there is need.

i thought i read one time that the medical parking lot also has some spots that do not require hang tags. don't know if this is true, but if it is, it would be good.

also, you might try telling the parking attendent that you have an ecv but no hang tag and see what they tell you to do. you can't be the first family in this situation....

dj

I thought i read one time that the medical parking lot also has some spots that do not require hang tags. don't know if this is true, but if it is, it would be good.

also, you might try telling the parking attendent that you have an ecv but no hang tag and see what they tell you to do. you can't be the first family in this situation....
you are right on both counts.
There are some spots (usually the farther out ones) in the medical parking that are not marked. If you park in the ones that have signs or a marking on the ground that says they are official handicaped parking spots, you can get fined or towed. But there are some spots that are not designated.

If you don't have a placard, in WDW generally (not just the parks), you need to either drop off grandma & the ECV *OR* park directly next to the hc parking (if you can, not always possible). This is necessary as the only way to safely access wherever you are going, in my experience, is via the hc parking. If you park anywhere else and take the ECV out of the car there, grandma will be taking the parking lot grand tour, below driver's eye levels, pathetically trying to make her way over to the hc parking so she can use the curb cuts and ramps. I felt this was dangerous, and it was a large reason why I got a placard (also, I realized that it would solve my problem of not being able to go to certain places at home that didn't have a place to sit near the door, which prevented me from being dropped off & picked up).

Personally, I recommend locating an application for a placard for your state. Your grandmother very likely is eligible (mine has one). If you just wanted to get one for the trip, you can get a temporary one. There aren't that many "medical" (non-hc) spots in the medical parking, and with the ECV, it is just easier to have options in terms of what is easier/safer for your family and your grandmother in any given parking/drop-off situation. If you don't need to use it, you won't but if you do, you will have it.

Remember, DO NOT park in the main portion of any lot with the ECV w/o first ascertaining that you can safely get to the curb cuts/ramps. Not an issue with a manual wc but it is with an ECV and I imagine with a motorized wc. I am paranoid about this bc I almost got hit in the WL lot in my ECV.

:wave: Cupcake

From the Transportation Center, the whole family could take the boat or monorail to the MK. There are boats to MGM from Epcot and the Boardwalk with good access. Others may be able to answer how near the medical parking is to these hubs.

The buses bring riders closest to the gates, and most (all?) have provision for ECVs. The time is takes to get loaded can seem excrutiating, and during the busiest times most unpleasant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter