• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Economy Woes

zachsmomie

Mouseketeer
Just out of curiosity...for all those going on trips next year.

Is anyone reconsidering their trips in light of the recent economic turns? Some people at work were discussing an upcoming honeymoon for a co-worker's daughter and how they were no longer going to travel to Ireland because they are worried about the economy. It got me thinking about the ABD trips (since they are quite costly).

Well, for Americans the Euro exchange got better. In just one month in August it went from 1,55 to 1,39. That is a very good change. Remember, in Europe the economy is not good (although Ireland has one of the strongest) and in many countries including the UK it is forecast to be worse off than in America.

I do think however that the ABD trips (at least to Europe) are unbelievably overpriced but if people want to spend their money for it, their choice. I have often helped people here plan their holidays for far less and they have still had a great time.

Just out of curiosity...for all those going on trips next year.

Is anyone reconsidering their trips in light of the recent economic turns? Some people at work were discussing an upcoming honeymoon for a co-worker's daughter and how they were no longer going to travel to Ireland because they are worried about the economy. It got me thinking about the ABD trips (since they are quite costly).

Well, I have decided, you only live once AND you can't take it with you! I am in the medical field and too often hear of people complain that as they get older sometimes their medical conditions deteriorate and they can no longer participate or enjoy such adventures that are offered by Disney. So I am living life to the fulllest . I have many more things left on me life's list to achieve!

You have to book so far in advance that by the time you get there you've paid for the trip and I also agree with Phil1019 that it's pretty much now or never for some of us.

Well, I have decided, you only live once AND you can't take it with you! I am in the medical field and too often hear of people complain that as they get older sometimes their medical conditions deteriorate and they can no longer participate or enjoy such adventures that are offered by Disney. So I am living life to the fulllest . I have many more things left on me life's list to achieve!

I'm with you on that one too! Also, our ABD trip isn't until next October. I have plenty of time to make payments which helps.

Okay, after this week, I have to admit I'm getting worried about paying for this trip. We had planned to sell some mutual fund shares at the beginning of next year for the payment, but if they are worth 0, like our entire life savings and retirement, we'll have to think if we can afford this. The pace of which we are losing money and the amount is staggering. I'm so depressed.

I'm with mwebsite. This whole stock market meltdown is very worrying. Final payment isn't due for quite a few months, so I'm keeping my options open. I won't buy airfare until I'm sure that I'm going. I consider the trip to be a good price, but I would rather have more money in the bank at this point.

Well, if you are using investments to pay for the trip, then I would suggest thinking twice. But I would have said that before there was any trouble with the stock market. I'm not sure why people all of a sudden stop spending the minute something like this happens. As a matter of fact, that is what will make it worse. Now I am not advising people to run out and spend their money willy nilly. No one should do that even in good times. But I think that every trip a person takes they should ask themselves how they are personally going to afford the trip before they make the reservation. If you really can't afford it, don't do it. I think what has gotten us into this mess is people extending their credit and spending well beyond their means. If you do not have to do that to take a great trip, like a tour by ABD, then go for it. Now if you work for a company that is not very stable, that could make a difference too. So I guess what I am saying is that I would go if I personally could afford it and don't work for an unstable company.

Remember: You can only make judgments based on what you know today. Don't sit around trying to second guess tomorrow. It will drive you to an early grave.

I lost a lot of money last week so I'll just have to invest harder in the down economy to get my retirement back in shape. That, however, has nothing to do with my vacations. I will be going on my 3 2009 vacations, including my abd to Costa Rica in September. I'm a 1 year breast cancer survivor and the one thing I learned from that experience is that I'm not postponing my life.

I lost a lot of money last week so I'll just have to invest harder in the down economy to get my retirement back in shape. That, however, has nothing to do with my vacations. I will be going on my 3 2009 vacations, including my abd to Costa Rica in September. I'm a 1 year breast cancer survivor and the one thing I learned from that experience is that I'm not postponing my life.
I really agree with your philosophy. I would never have signed up for an ABD if I did not have the money to hand to pay for it. My investments are long-term, and messing with them now (unless you can afford to BUY in the down market) is not going to help. But as a thyroid cancer survivor (not nearly as life-threatening as breast cancer, but still sobering) I also have the philosophy that I want to do these things *now* and not "some day". When "some day" comes, I'll hopefully still be doing these kinds of things, but if I can't, at least I'll know I did them while I could! So I will still be going to Canada with ABD, and to the Caribbean on a Cruise for Cancer fundraiser.

Congrats on your survivor status! Wonderful!

(Of course, most of this does not apply if someone's job was directly affected by the recent economy down turn. If you lose your job, you always have to re-evaluate how you spend your money, including the cash on hand...)

Sayhello

You hit the nail on the head. My DF died of a heart attack at 54. I am not waiting for retirement to travel and enjoy myself. Have a great time in Costa Rica!

I really agree with your philosophy. I would never have signed up for an ABD if I did not have the money to hand to pay for it. My investments are long-term, and messing with them now (unless you can afford to BUY in the down market) is not going to help. But as a thyroid cancer survivor (not nearly as life-threatening as breast cancer, but still sobering) I also have the philosophy that I want to do these things *now* and not "some day". When "some day" comes, I'll hopefully still be doing these kinds of things, but if I can't, at least I'll know I did them while I could! So I will still be going to Canada with ABD, and to the Caribbean on a Cruise for Cancer fundraiser.

Congrats on your survivor status! Wonderful!

(Of course, most of this does not apply if someone's job was directly affected by the recent economy down turn. If you lose your job, you always have to re-evaluate how you spend your money, including the cash on hand...)

Hewene

Quite well put! I think that is exactly what I was trying to say. But you said it much better.

I've enjoyed reading these posts. The Viva Italia trip we took in August was the best vacation I've ever had, and despite the high price of ABD trips, I immediately booked another (Southwest Splendors) when we got home. In the past few weeks I've been questioning my decision, but I think that I can probably calm my fears by just not buying airfare yet, and putting off the decision until the trip gets closer (and more money is due).

I don't want to put all the good stuff in life off until it's too late - but of course, I don't want to spend rashly either. I guess we just have to make the most reasonable decisions we can, and hope for the best (and for our 401k's to climb back up in value before it's actually time to retire).

I have to agree, my mother had a plan, my father retired when he was 60 she was going to work two more years until he was elegible for Social Security and then she would take early retirement and they would travel. Well 8 months after my dad retired my mother, 59, had a massive heart attack and died. I will not live my life with any regrets, and I have the money without touching any retirment accounts for anything else due in large to an inheritence from my dad so I am going to enjoy myself.

I must admit that we are rethinking our trip next year. Next year will be our third ABD trip and with the ups and downs of the economy and the fact that both my DH and I are staring at 6 day furlough's to help balance Maryland's budget it's enough to give anyone something to think about. We are not going to make a rash decision since final payment for the trip isn't due until late May09.

I did feel a bit better after yesterday's rally, will have to continue to watch the economy over the next 6 months. I didn't mean to imply that I was using any of my retirement money for this ABD trip, but it would be hard to spend the money on an expensive vacation if our 401K's would bottom out. I know retirement is many years away, but it would be difficult to spend over $10,000when my porfolio takes a big hit. I know it is the trip of a lifetime, and with my daughter headed into private high school, then college, this seemed like the best time to take a vacation like this. I'm hopeful I'll feel confident enough to proceed next year.

Don't forget though that you can also make wonderful trips yourself, if you find the cost is too much (and I do find it very high). There is a thread about exactly that on the ABD board.

Many people PM me throughout the year asking for travel itinerary and transportation advice for Europe. I know that the allure of ABD is the group format as well as some of the unique things they offer, but one can still have a great trip with comfortable American-style hotels at a decent cost. There are a lot of unique attractions which are overlooked by the American tour companies, and which you may actually find more enjoyable, as well.

The Euro is dropping, as it needs to; it was at 1,55 in August and is now about 1,36. I would like to see it around 1,20 as it needs to be there to stimulate the economy, especially in countries like Germany which are export and tourism based.

Bold is my emphasis:
Don't forget though that you can also make wonderful trips yourself, if you find the cost is too much (and I do find it very high). There is a thread about exactly that on the ABD board.

Many people PM me throughout the year asking for travel itinerary and transportation advice for Europe. I know that the allure of ABD is the group format as well as some of the unique things they offer, but one can still have a great trip with comfortable American-style hotels at a decent cost. There are a lot of unique attractions which are overlooked by the American tour companies, and which you may actually find more enjoyable, as well.

The Euro is dropping, as it needs to; it was at 1,55 in August and is now about 1,36. I would like to see it around 1,20 as it needs to be there to stimulate the economy, especially in countries like Germany which are export and tourism based.
A big part of the allure is also having someone else take care of all of the arrangements for you, and take care of your luggage for you, and your transportation for you, and check you into your hotels for you, and pamper you and make sure alternate plans are in place if there are issues, and get you into shorter lines some places, and provide you with water and snacks when you need, and deal with issues for you and a dozen other things *for* you. Yes, you can certainly do the same vacations for less, but you won't get the ease & calibre of an ABD vacation.

That's not to say that people who don't have the money for ABD (or chose to not pay the money for an ABD) absolutely can't have a fabulous vacation on their own, but it will be a totally different sort of vacation.

And none of those things appeal to me and in fact repel me and put me off doing a group tour; I think that many people don't realise that they can travel on their own without much difficulty. I avoid editorializing in respect for the fact that most of you are American, but where someone highlighted part of an article as to how ABD carts around ice cubes in Europe to meet the American taste that to me detracts from the real experience. It's not my form of travel, and I respect that for others it is.

I'm just pointing out that especially travelling in much of Europe is not that difficult, and for anyone who is considering cost there are many other options.

I often recommend to people for instance making Munich their base and doing day trips, even on bus tours. That works for many. I helped someone here plan a two week trip recently and am helping someone else plan a six week trip.

And none of those things appeal to me and in fact repel me and put me off doing a group tour; I think that many people don't realise that they can travel on their own without much difficulty. I avoid editorializing in respect for the fact that most of you are American, but where someone highlighted part of an article as to how ABD carts around ice cubes in Europe to meet the American taste that to me detracts from the real experience. It's not my form of travel, and I respect that for others it is.

I'm just pointing out that especially travelling in much of Europe is not that difficult, and for anyone who is considering cost there are many other options.

I often recommend to people for instance making Munich their base and doing day trips, even on bus tours. That works for many. I helped someone here plan a two week trip recently and am helping someone else plan a six week trip.
I made my own travel arrangements for YEARS until I discovered the joy of letting someone else take care of the hassles. I don't want to start a fight, but think I'm a bit offended by your tone of "superiority" for the European style of traveling. I've NEVER heard someone from Europe, here in the States, complain because ice cubes were readily available here.

I think you will find that the majority of Americans make their own travel arrangements, and the folks that take these kinds of tours are in the minority. But they post here because they like what ABD offers.

Perhaps you should start a separate Forum for independent travel.

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter