EB TransA dinner "feels" an hour earlier each day b/c time change?

ldo

DIS Veteran
How does dinner work for EB TA? On what day do they start moving the clock ahead? Next year there are 6 sea days. Would they do an hour each day starting with day 2? So, does 5:30 dinner "feel" like a 4:30 dinner, then 3:30 the next day, etc? IF so, I am thinking maybe we would rather have the later seating. We are not morning persons, so I could see us wakng up at 11am on the 3rd day of time changes (used to be 8am).
Which dinner did you prefer (or wish you had) on TA? We are typically main seating and don't like to eat late--but don't want to eat at what feels like 3:30 either.

We just got off this years' TA and didn't really feel the time change at all. On the fist of second sea day a reminder was left in the room to turn the clocks ahead an hour before bed or upon waking. This was done every day until the clocks in sync with local time. We had early dinner and it never felt as if we were eating dinner too early. I really enjoyed it this way as afterwards we felt we had a whole evening ahead of us to enjoy (and digest) before retiring.

Edit: Ack, you guys are totally right! I mixed up E/W.

Apparently this is far easier than the loss of time coming back the other direction. Enjoy your trip!

Last edited:
We did the TA last May and never felt any issue with the time change. We had late seating but the time change never really affected how we felt about eating.

MJ

We just returned from the EBTA. No it did not feel any different about how we felt eating dinner. As you go further north, the sun sets later, so it did seem lighter as the cruse went on. If left to your own sleeping, you would be waking up an hour "later" given the time change, but to mitigate that we ordered breakfast to be delivered at the same time each day so that when we arrived in Ireland we were not waking up at noon and could make it to our 8 am shore excursion. :)

Last edited:
I was on the EBTA last year and found getting up for breakfast to be the hard part. By dinner time I felt like I was "on schedule".

Apparently this is far easier than the loss of time coming back the other direction. Enjoy your trip!

Eastbound you lose an hour each day. Westbound you gain an hour. So, for the EBTA, each day is 23 hours until you match your port's time zone, and for WBTA, each day is 25 hours.

For the OP, I would share that concern if it were early seating. However, without ports and early excursions the next day, we would just sleep until we wanted and eat accordingly. (However, we also do late seating simply because early is too early under any circumstances for us.)

As we all know, one never goes hungry on a cruise ship. . .

Dirk

Actually the westbound is easier - you gain an hour each day. Losing that hour each day on the eastbound transit (for 5 days) really messes up your internal clock by the end of the cruise. Well it did mine. I'm still adjusting back to my time zone and it's been almost a week.

Actually the westbound is easier - you gain an hour each day. Losing that hour each day on the eastbound transit (for 5 days) really messes up your internal clock by the end of the cruise. Well it did mine. I'm still adjusting back to my time zone and it's been almost a week.
I was wondering how that worked out for you. Since we live on the west coast I decided the time changes would just be too much. We start the cruise just having lost 3 hours on the flight over. I think if you live on the East Coast it would be a little easier. I booked the WBTA for next year I think we'll enjoy that.

I was wondering how that worked out for you. Since we live on the west coast I decided the time changes would just be too much. We start the cruise just having lost 3 hours on the flight over. I think if you live on the East Coast it would be a little easier. I booked the WBTA for next year I think we'll enjoy that.
Our first cruise was a westbound Panama Canal, now, that time change was only 3 hours from start to finish and it ended in "our" time zone - so easy.

Our westbound transatlantic we did, we lost a total of 10 hours flying from LA to Barcelona (on top of the 12 hour flight time it made it a whole day we lost). Getting back those 5 hours (one hour each sea day) put us on eastern time at the end of the cruise and we flew immediately home (another 3 hour time difference). I don't recall any problems adjusting back to our time.

As I said, this recent cruise - we flew in the day before (lost 3 hours there). Then we set the clock back on hour on our 2nd sea day (the night before Sydney, Nova Scotia), the again set the clock back 1 hour on each of the first 4 sea days (5 more hours lost total). So now we're 8 hours ahead of our regular time zone. We then flew directly home. I'm still struggling to stay asleep past 5 am here.

Our westbound transatlantic we did, we lost a total of 10 hours flying from LA to Barcelona (on top of the 12 hour flight time it made it a whole day we lost). Getting back those 5 hours (one hour each sea day) put us on eastern time at the end of the cruise and we flew immediately home (another 3 hour time difference). I don't recall any problems adjusting back to our time.

I think your math is a bit confusing here. :goodvibes LA to Barcelona should be a 9 hour difference, then 6 hours between Barcelona and Florida on the ship.

There are a few weeks every fall and spring when things are a little different as the USA and Europe don't change over to daylight saving time on the same day, but a couple of weeks apart. However, since Europe has a shorter duration for daylight saving time, this means that during those weeks the difference is one hour less. So, still no 10 hours.

I think your math is a bit confusing here. :goodvibes LA to Barcelona should be a 9 hour difference, then 6 hours between Barcelona and Florida on the ship.

There are a few weeks every fall and spring when things are a little different as the USA and Europe don't change over to daylight saving time on the same day, but a couple of weeks apart. However, since Europe has a shorter duration for daylight saving time, this means that during those weeks the difference is one hour less. So, still no 10 hours.
I'll check my scrapbook, all I can recall right off hand is that we basically lost a whole day between the flight time and the time difference on that trip.

EDIT: OK, the flight from LAX to Atlanta was a 5 hour flight with a 3 hour time difference. Had a 2 hour layover in Atlanta. Then Atlanta to Barcelona was a 9 hour flight with a 6 hour difference in time. Total "flight" time 14 hours with a 9 hour time difference. Pretty much a full day.

We left LAX on a Tuesday morning at 7:30 and arrived in Barcelona Wednesday morning at 9:00.

Last edited:
I'll check my scrapbook, all I can recall right off hand is that we basically lost a whole day between the flight time and the time difference on that trip.

EDIT: OK, the flight from LAX to Atlanta was a 5 hour flight with a 3 hour time difference. Had a 2 hour layover in Atlanta. Then Atlanta to Barcelona was a 9 hour flight with a 6 hour difference in time. Total "flight" time 14 hours with a 9 hour time difference. Pretty much a full day.

We left LAX on a Tuesday morning at 7:30 and arrived in Barcelona Wednesday morning at 9:00.
I wonder if it is better when you fly back after an EBTA? Because you are gaining hours?

I wonder if it is better when you fly back after an EBTA? Because you are gaining hours?
Well, I haven't found it so. I'm still adjusting, and it's been a week. When we did the westbound I adjusted much easier. I think because we were creeping up on the time change gradually. And only had to do the "regular" 3 hour difference for the flight once in Florida back to the west coast.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter