Eating in Germany or Norway??

Disney Debbie

<font color=deeppink>Survivor<br><font color=blue>
In all my trips, I've still never eaten at either of these pavillions. I really want to try Germany because it seems like it would be fun - but I'm not a big fan of sausage or any think with -kraut at the end of it! Will I like it?

I've been the same way about Norway - just not sure if there's much I'd like and my DH doesn't like fish at all. Are there other choices that we might like?

We ate at Germany 15 years ago and loved everything we ate, but that was before it was a buffet! The last time we ate there, we were not really that impressed with the food. I don't eat much in the way of greasy sausage and wursts, especially when it's hot - so I didn't care for it. The show was fun though! We have eaten at Akershus on several of our past few trips. We really enjoyed it. The buffet part had cold meats, cheeses, salads, a variety of breads and peel and eat shrimp. Then you can also order an entree (hot item) and DH and I both enjoyed these as well. We've never had to wait in Norway for long even without a PS. Hope this helps.

I had a very good meal at Restaurant Akershus for dinner, but I hated the Princess Storybook Breakfast. The buffet for dinner had great marinated cheese and other good, but not to far out foods. The breakfast food and service was terrible. I would never do it again.

I am German and I hate German food, so I can't offer anything constructive about Germany. However, Restaurant Akershus is one of our favorites! Even my dd age 2 loves to eat there. My dh is a very picky, meat and potatoes kind of guy. He hesitated to go on our first trip together, and I kept asking, so he gave in on the next trip. Now we eat there at least twice per trip! The food is great and the servers are very friendly. DH even bought me a Norwegian cookbook!

They have excellent meatballs and boiled potatoes with gravy as well as a baked chicken breast with rice and a cranberry glaze. I think there are some other non fish selections too.

And the beer...oh the beer...I am not a beer drinker, for the most part, but I love Norwegian beer! It is on the top of the list for the next trip we take that I am not pregnant!

The entertainment is fun in Germany. The food is excellent at the Restaurant Akershus buffet. Try one for lunch the other for dinner. :)

We ate at Akershus last trip and fell in love! DH had the venesion stew, I had the meatballs and vegetables, and we both tried the crisp chicken breast. All great! Kids had PB&J, and they brought out extra grapes for the two of them.

Most of the seafood is at the cold buffet - I don't do herring (sp?) or smoked salmon, but they had a lot of nice cheeses, potato salads, and a tasty shrimp salad.

And I agree about the tasty beer!

We think Germany is great! The buffet is my favorite at WDW. The veggies, the bread, the desserts.....the beer:p......all great! And so is ther entertainment.

I don't eat fish (well fish sticks or fish and chips with loads of Tarter sauce) and I love Akershus. TThe cold buffet has sliced Ham, Turkey or Raost Beef, green salad and potato salad. Then there are breads and cheeses which are slightly different than you would get here. There are some other salads to choose from like meat salad (appears to be julien beef) in a tomato sauce. Egg and ham salad. And marinated cucumbers. The hot dishes which you order off the menu are a bit different as well but the two items I had were great. A very rich pasta with mushroom sauce and some very different meatballs. It is fun to try all these things that are spiced a bit differently and they all seem to be good. I even ate fish mouse by accident once and it wasn't so bad. :) That is not including all the fish items and herring dishes for those who like them.
I haven't tried Germany yet. I like sauage to a degree and I like saurkraut (being part German)but the menu doesn't appeal to me that much!

Akershus used to be our absolute favorite before they took out the hot buffet. I still love the cold buffet (the shrimp salad and smoked herring especially) but it's kind of a letdown to have to order the hot stuff off a menu.

We tried Germany for the first time this past trip. I'm German, too, but hate sausage and kraut. :o However, I LOVED the food on this buffet. They had excellent potato salads, roast pork and chicken, and lots of other non-sausage stuff. The roast pork especially was my favorite!
The one drawback of it is the community seating, which I really didn't like.

In my latest AllEars newsletter, it said that Akerhaus would be closed for lunch and dinner from April 18 - May 10th, but they will still be doing the breakfast.

I'm not sure when you are going, but keep that in mind. It tends to be a popular restaurant - we go almost every trip - but if it is closed, that means that others will fill up faster, so remember that too!

DisneyDiane

Thanks for the replies. I'll show this to DH & DD and let them pick one! I'm guessing we'll be trying Germany because my DD is a potato salad FREAK!!:p

We aren't going until mid June so we should be fine!

This is sad news. We had PS for 5/7/04 for lunch and the CM didn't tell us anything about it. :( I was really looking forward to it. Maybe we'll try to get something for Germany now.
Iheoma

We have PS for lunch 5/8, and were also not told the restaurant will be closed...............I haven't even told my family yet. They are still recovering from the "Dinosaur is going to be closed" news.....

I was wondering if Germany has a children't menu? Anyone know?
Thanks

I am very fond of The Biergarten in Germany, we make a point to get a lunch there every trip. For the record, I also am not a fan of things that end in -kraut, but I am a fan of things that begin with "m" and end in "eat", so it's all good.

Z

the Biergarten during our last visit. It as like home cooking for me (as my grandmother cooked like she was from the old country!) but even my wife and daughters enjoyed it. The atmosphere is great and the entertainment is fun.

Enjoy!

Debbie, of the two I really enjoy Akershus the most. Love the atmosphere and the food. If you are going to eat at the Biergarten, do lunch. The menu is not that much different than dinner, but a whole lot cheaper.

I'm kind of chuckling to myself here. I won't be going to WDW this year, because I'll be eating all of my meals from 4/24-5/7 in Norway. The REAL Norway. :hyper: :hyper: And I just know I'm going to be comparing the food to Akershus.:crazy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter