Eat at MK or park hop to Epcot?

DashforCash

Earning My Ears
We are (rather last minute) planning a November trip to WDW. 2 adults, 3 teens, 1 tween. For the first time, we have park hopper tickets so going to different parks to eat is a new option that we have not had in the past. We will do one day in each park with a 5th day open to visit a park a second time. We have free dining and I am trying to make reservations. None of the table service restaurants at MK were good enough that we really want to return. I am wondering if leaving MK to go over to Epcot for a late lunch, then returning to MK would be worth the time?

It definitely wouldn't be worth it to me. You have the time it takes to walk out of MK, bus or monorail to Epcot, get through Epcot security, walk to whatever restaurant (pretty long walk if it's a World Showcase restaurant), eat, then walk out of Epcot and get back to MK. I'm guessing it would take at least 2-3 hours. Much easier to go to one of the MK resorts if you don't want to eat in MK.

The idea of a resort lunch is great if you're worried about the time but still want better food. If there's somewhere in the World Showcase that really interests you, maybe try a bus to the Beach Club and go in the back door. It will still take some time, but maybe a cool bus ride and a long lunch aren't a bad idea during the hottest and busiest part of the day anyway.

It took us an hour to get to Epcot from MK last time we tried to just hop over (all via monorail). So 2+ hours of transportation and the time to park navigate and dine would not be worth it.

Instead, I would look at resort restaurants. Best case is one of the MK resorts (lots of great options!). Even choosing a resort that would take a bus ride would be easier IMO than the double security/TTC changeover you have to do to navigate over to Epcot.

The other nice thing about eating at one of the MK resorts is that you will go through security before getting on the monorail to go back to MK rather than the main security at the front of the park.

I also would do a MK resort. We are doing that next week and I'm having a hard time deciding which ones to do bc I like or want to try so many.

If i was going to hop to epcot to eat it would be on my HS day.

Is there a specific meal you're looking to enjoy at Epcot with this plan? Are there attractions at MK that you might miss with the time this would take? Maybe deciding the priorities of that day of your trip will give you a little insight into what choice would be best for you.

I'm not a fan of 'chasing food' when visiting parks, if I'm at MK I tend to eat at MK & if I'm at EP, I tend to eat at EP. Now, if you really want to up your game for park hopping (since it will be new to you) & it doesn't sound like you're planning to use it?? The only option is to stay in MK and NOT PH, but just to leave & come back???? Why did you pay to PH then?

Think now in park half days. Lay out your schedule by half day & see which park you want to visit 2, 3, or 4 half days. Then you can visit MK in the morning, go to EP to eat & stay at EP. Reduce your commute time to one way, not round trip.

We actually love Jungle Navigation and The Plaza but if you've tried them and want something different, Give The Wave a try at Contemporary. It's a 10 minute walk and the food is awesome every time we eat there.

We plan to hop to Epcot on our August trip. I think we go from MK to Epcot at least once every trip. Is it fast? Maybe not, but who cares, we're on vacation. If we aren't staying at a monorail resort, it's a good excuse to ride the monorail. There are many restaurants we like in Epcot, and not many in MK. Before and/or after dinner, maybe we can ride spaceship earth or the boat ride in Mexico (my son's favorite). Transportation back to our resort is easier too, because we're in a park.

ETA: I glossed over your last sentence. We hop to Epcot for dinner, and don't go back to MK. The back and forth mid day is tough. But I definitely recommend it for dinner.

I always get PHs because we take advantage of AM EMH at one and evening shows at another, with a break at DS or resort in the middle during hot months. Our meals are planned for where we'll be and not as a separate destination, though a restaurant we want to try may influence how we spend the day.

If wanting to leave for a meal, I'm another vote for one of the monorail resorts.

I’m going to Epcot for Lunch, then leaving at 4:00PM for the Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party.

We always get hoppers and also plan in half-days. All day in one park is too much for us, mostly because of the heat. It works well for us to take a midday break from the heat, relax at the hotel, maybe nap or swim, then go to a different park for dinner and more fun.

:sunny:

Thanks-- you all have given me lots to consider. Fortunately, it won't be over 80 when we go, so the heat is a non-issue. We are doing park hoppers because it was a required part of the free dining deal. We typically spend 8-12 hours in a park and never return to the resort, so this is required different planning, I appreciate the help.

We hopped over to Epcot from Hollywood Studios last time we were there because HS has disappointing QS options, especially compared to the world showcase at epcot. Hopped on the boat, which is a nice, relaxing ride. It drops you off at the world showcase entrance. You can also use the skyliner or even walk between these two parks.

We always have parkhoppers, and do the mid-day switch like pp suggested. Sometimes there's a return to the resort, sometimes it's just nice to transfer from one park to the other. There are often a lot of interesting things to see between two different parks. Maybe since you have the opportunity to "bounce around", you could look at the half-day switch just for the fun of it.

I also would do a MK resort. We are doing that next week and I'm having a hard time deciding which ones to do bc I like or want to try so many.

This is me right now as well, ate at Skipper Canteen last time we were at MK and while it was fine, it was nothing special. Thinking of park lunch with CS/QS and then resort dinner and then fireworks dessert party. Doing Chef Mickey's as tradition to start the day, so it becomes a choice of The Wave (back to Contemporary) / Kona Cafe or Captain Cook's at Poly / GF casual food options. Any of those from reviews I've read easily outpaces anything in MK.

Not. An. Easy. Choice.

We like to visit the MK during the day on a day when an evening party is scheduled. We hop to EPCOT for supper when the crowd starts to grow in the MK. Not what the OP was looking at but maybe something to consider.

Last edited:
We are (rather last minute) planning a November trip to WDW. 2 adults, 3 teens, 1 tween. For the first time, we have park hopper tickets so going to different parks to eat is a new option that we have not had in the past. We will do one day in each park with a 5th day open to visit a park a second time. We have free dining and I am trying to make reservations. None of the table service restaurants at MK were good enough that we really want to return. I am wondering if leaving MK to go over to Epcot for a late lunch, then returning to MK would be worth the time?
Its not worth it to travel from MK to Epcot just for an ADR. I'd much rather go to a resort restaurant around MK. The Wave at CR and GF cafe at GF are both really great options. Personally i dont like Kona cafe at the poly. But to each their own.

Inside MK i have eaten at the Plaza, Crystal Palace and Liberty Tree. I love them all! Liberty Tree for lunch is one of my faves though. :)

Now that you have hoppers i'd recommend doing a park at rope drop. Go back to the resort to swim/nap/grab lunch (or lunch at the park, then back to the resort). Then back out again for dinner and another park. Its great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter