• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Eat at Home 3!

Back into it now after getting home from DL

Sun- beans on toast
Mon- roast pumpkin and spinach pasta
Tues- sausages, greens and cheesy polenta cubes
Wed- slowcooker chicken cacciatore and rice
Thurs- soup and rolls
Fri- fried rice
Sat- leftovers/pantry fare

Okay, pretty much made last week's meals, except I decided to make a healthy version broccoli cheese soup with my broccoli (evaporated milk and veg broth for the normal cream and whole milk and 1/2 the normal sharp cheddar cheese with some extra veg blended up - it was GOOD!), and I made homemade tropical muffins with my banana, pineapple, and coconut (very good for breakfasts, too)...and I punted the beef meals, making a Cheezit-panko baked chicken tender (1st time using mayo to adhere breading and it really worked better for baking with a much less soggy chicken result) and picking up a rotisserie chicken for tonight's meal (with the rest of the soup and some crusty bread)...now on to next week:)...I'll be putting beef on b/c I got an amazing deal on angus beef and bacon burgers and b/c we didn't eat beef last week:)...

Sun - Spaghetti with All Beef Meatballs and a Fresh Tomato and Veg Sauce, Baby Lettuce Salad, Sliced Strawberries
Mon - (Split dinner) Frozen Pizza, Roasted Broccoli, Sliced Pears and Apples
Tues - Meatloaf, Roasted Carrots, Strawberries/Bananas
Wed - Bacon and Blue Cheese Burgers with Baby Lettuce, Carmelized Onions, and Sliced Tomato, Baked Fries, Red Grapes
Thurs - Lemon Butter Garlic Shrimp with White Rice, Cucumber Dill Salad, Scratch Fruit Muffin and/or Sliced Fruit
Fri - Evening Wedding (eating there - getting the Salmon:))
Sat - Leftovers from the week or grocery cheap meal b/c I'll have to shop

So, beef isn't happening, at least so far this week...b/c we got a stomach virus slowly winding through the house! We skipped eating out Saturday (b/c I got sick that afternoon - got it from youngest who was sick very late Friday night) and have now started the bland food train for the week. The good news is that I had all the right fruits and a rotisserie chicken I had picked up for a lunch option to do bland foods...so we switched the rotisserie chicken to last night's dinner (with plain stuffing, sliced apples, and asian salad for the healthy). Today, as another two kids have gone down and we are out of chicken, I've pulled a pork sirloin out of my freezer to have with a sliced banana dump cake (6 bananas, 5 oz evaporated milk, 1/2 cup choco chips for spouse, 1 stick of butter, and 1 vanilla cake mix), leftover stuffing, and the rest of the asian salad for those who are better and/or not yet sick. My rule is that when 1 person goes down, I switch to bland, BRAT diet cooking b/c it makes the illness not so bad for the rest (having tomato and beef in your system and being sick - unpleasant!). We'll see if I can get back on track tomorrow or Wednesday, but the beef may stay safe in my freezer for another week - sigh - and I really wanted it!

Edit to Add: I guess I should be happy that in 3 days, we are down to 3 bananas, 1 pear, and 6 apples from the 14 lbs of those 3 fruits I bought Friday...I may actually need to buy more tomorrow! Toast and fruit are how we start eating again after illness...

Last edited:

I'm sorry you all are sick, but that sounds REALLY good...

It actually is - REALLY banana-y, if that's a word:)...it was a sprayed 13x9 pan with the layered sliced bananas covering the whole thing, then the choco chips sparsely covering them, then the evaporated milk, then the cake mix, and finally the melted butter on top (I spread the butter to make sure it covered almost all the mix)...cooked it for 45 minutes at 350 degrees and it turned out...I stole the recipe from one that uses banana muffin mix, but a whole bag of white chocolate chips and less bananas - with a cake mix usually having more sugar than a muffin mix, I figured I could increase the bananas and totally short the chocolate (especially with touchy tummies) and I was (thankfully) right. It's going on my dump cake list as an "it worked" one:)...

It actually is - REALLY banana-y, if that's a word:)...it was a sprayed 13x9 pan with the layered sliced bananas covering the whole thing, then the choco chips sparsely covering them, then the evaporated milk, then the cake mix, and finally the melted butter on top (I spread the butter to make sure it covered almost all the mix)...cooked it for 45 minutes at 350 degrees and it turned out...I stole the recipe from one that uses banana muffin mix, but a whole bag of white chocolate chips and less bananas - with a cake mix usually having more sugar than a muffin mix, I figured I could increase the bananas and totally short the chocolate (especially with touchy tummies) and I was (thankfully) right. It's going on my dump cake list as an "it worked" one:)...
Thank you for the information! I will have to make this. I love bananas.

Phew - what a week! First, the illness, then the wedding (which was wonderful!). We're back home and I've got half a plan...here goes (heavy on beef b/c we've had it only once in 3 weeks b/c of all the stomach illness)...
Sat - Grocery deli Italian Hoagies, Friday's Frozen Mozza Sticks (good sale - kids LOVED them), Berry Salad and Red Grapes
Sun - NY Strip Steak Steaks with a Blue Cheese Crust and Carmelized Onions (my favorite steak was under $5/lb again, so it was time to splurge, especially since my spouse shopped with me), Baked Potatoes with Sour Cream and Garden Chives, Baby Lettuce Salad
Mon (split dinner) - NY Strip Steak Fajitas with Onions and Multi-Bell Peppers (gonna make one really rare tomorrow that I can add at the end Monday, so dinner can be ready in under 10 when I need it), Kiwi and Bananas
Tues - Meatloaf, Roasted Carrots, Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp (1st time using rhubarb - figure I'll keep sweetness low to make this "dinnery" and not "desserty")
Wed - Free Pizza Party with Kids Choir (whole family invited - I may bring a fruit platter if asked - if not, I'll be bringing some for my kids b/c the parties tend to be heavy on pizza and dessert, and low on fruit/veg)
Thurs - Meatball Subs, Roasted Golden Beet Salad with Feta Cheese (got a great deal on the organic golden beet bunches today, so I went with it), Fresh Pineapple and Bananas
Fri - Leftover Day - I expect I'll make virgin pina colada smoothies and then be having the leftover beets for me (probably in a 2nd salad)...everyone else, I may make a bag ravioli and they can have the leftover beef products with it...

I have unplanned broccoli to get rid of from this week (didn't eat it b/c it doesn't go with stomach stuff - I'm gonna fit it in somewhere, probably for a day when the kids eat the fruit or veg for lunches before I have a chance to make it)...or I'll make extra baked potatoes to have with roasted broccoli and cheddar for a lunch (2 of my kids love that)...

Last edited:
Sunday: Dinner at my parents
Monday: Tofu Parmesan ( I will have mine over leftover spaghetti squash instead of pasta)
Tuesday: Grilled Sausage, Salad, Baked Potatoes
Wednesday: Breakfast for dinner (eggs, pancakes, leftover ham, smoothies etc)
Thursday : Grilled Chicken for Dh and I , Hot dogs/veggie dogs for the kids, salad , baked sweet potato
Friday: Homemade pizzas with sausage and cheese and peppers
Saturday: Skinny tuna noodle casserole for dd and I, leftovers for Dh and Ds

Will be making Greek yoghurt/pumpkin muffins, banana chocolate chip muffins, and a thick carrot/potato soup this week for snacks and some lunches.

Last edited:
Sun- burgers by DH
Mon- tuna pasta bake, make it tonight as we have sminnimg tomorrow, then just reheat
Tues- dal and rice
Wed- soup and rolls
Thurs- spaghetti bolognaise
Fri- away at ILs
Sat- away at ILs

Last edited:
Here is the plan for the next two weeks. Trying to eat a lot lighter then I had been since my stomach hasn't been happy.

Today: White fish with roasted asparagus (maybe rice depending how I feel)
Tomorrow: Chicken sandwiches (swiss cheese, honey mustard, lettuce, and avocado) with veggie filled pasta salad
Tuesday: L/O
Wednesday: Veggie pizza and salad
Thursday: L/O
Friday: Helping a friend move so most likely will pick food up
Saturday: Cobb salad
Sunday: Veggie fried rice
Monday: L/O
Tuesday: Eggs, toast, hashbrowns
Wednesday: Sushi out with work friends (we go to a $20 all you can eat place)
Thursday: Veggie pasta alfredo
Friday: L/O
Saturday: Steak and roasted brussel sprouts

Breakfast with be scrambled eggs and roasted potatoes or yogurt with fruit.
Lunch would be leftovers, salad, or sandwiches.
Snacks will be almonds, sliced cheese, or veggies with dip.

Hoping posting here will hold me more accountable! We have a busy week with softball and a band performance this week.

Sun - crockpot roast beef with onion gravy and mashed potatoes, applesauce

Mon - sloppy Joe's and shells & cheese, applesauce (DD pick night)

Tues - Taco Tuesday!

Wed - crockpot cheesy chicken and rice, broccoli

Thurs - probably something quick out since DD has a band performance 30 mins away

Fri - weekly dinner out

Sat - orange chicken, Jasmine rice

Phew - what a week! First, the illness, then the wedding (which was wonderful!). We're back home and I've got half a plan...here goes (heavy on beef b/c we've had it only once in 3 weeks b/c of all the stomach illness)...
Sat - Grocery deli Italian Hoagies, Friday's Frozen Mozza Sticks (good sale - kids LOVED them), Berry Salad and Red Grapes
Sun - NY Strip Steak Steaks with a Blue Cheese Crust and Carmelized Onions (my favorite steak was under $5/lb again, so it was time to splurge, especially since my spouse shopped with me), Baked Potatoes with Sour Cream and Garden Chives, Baby Lettuce Salad
Mon (split dinner) - NY Strip Steak Fajitas with Onions and Multi-Bell Peppers (gonna make one really rare tomorrow that I can add at the end Monday, so dinner can be ready in under 10 when I need it), Kiwi and Bananas
Tues - Meatloaf, Roasted Carrots, Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp (1st time using rhubarb - figure I'll keep sweetness low to make this "dinnery" and not "desserty")
Wed - Free Pizza Party with Kids Choir (whole family invited - I may bring a fruit platter if asked - if not, I'll be bringing some for my kids b/c the parties tend to be heavy on pizza and dessert, and low on fruit/veg)
Thurs - Meatball Subs, Roasted Golden Beet Salad with Feta Cheese (got a great deal on the organic golden beet bunches today, so I went with it), Fresh Pineapple and Bananas
Fri - Leftover Day - I expect I'll make virgin pina colada smoothies and then be having the leftover beets for me (probably in a 2nd salad)...everyone else, I may make a bag ravioli and they can have the leftover beef products with it...

I have unplanned broccoli to get rid of from this week (didn't eat it b/c it doesn't go with stomach stuff - I'm gonna fit it in somewhere, probably for a day when the kids eat the fruit or veg for lunches before I have a chance to make it)...or I'll make extra baked potatoes to have with roasted broccoli and cheddar for a lunch (2 of my kids love that)...

Made a change today - spouse decided he wanted me to try a 2lb bottom round roast he had found in the freezer, instead of the steak. Since my garden thyme and rosemary were going nuts, I agreed and made a wet rub paste of salt/pepper/fresh thyme/fresh rosemary/chopped garlic/Tb of olive oil, let it sit at room temp with the paste for 1 hour and then cooked at 425 for 10 minutes, 300 for 30 minutes, and rested for 15 minutes. It was too die for! Thinly sliced, it was a perfect medium rare (going more to rare) with a delicious crust. I decided to roast the broccoli now (both the stalks and florets) and made mashed potatoes and there was nothing left (so meatball plan moving to tomorrow). But the lack of leftovers was totally worth it!

Sunday: Dinner at my parents
Monday: Tofu Parmesan ( I will have mine over leftover spaghetti squash instead of pasta)
Tuesday: Grilled Sausage, Salad, Baked Potatoes
Wednesday: Breakfast for dinner (eggs, pancakes, leftover ham, smoothies etc)
Thursday : Grilled Chicken for Dh and I , Hot dogs/veggie dogs for the kids, salad , baked sweet potato
Friday: Homemade pizzas with sausage and cheese and peppers
Saturday: Skinny tuna noodle casserole for dd and I, leftovers for Dh and Ds

Will be making Greek yoghurt/pumpkin muffins, banana chocolate chip muffins, and a thick carrot/potato soup this week for snacks and some lunches.

Quick question - how does tofu parm compare to eggplant parm? Does it come out with a firmer middle? I admit I haven't heard of doing parm with tofu, and this might push me into trying it:)...

Quick question - how does tofu parm compare to eggplant parm? Does it come out with a firmer middle? I admit I haven't heard of doing parm with tofu, and this might push me into trying it:)...
It's imperative to use firm tofu, make sure the water is pressed out and to cut it thin. If the pieces retain too much moisture or the slices are too thick it's too soft for me. A thin piece reminds me much more of a good eggplant parm. :)

On the menu for this week:

Mon-chicken souvlaki, roasted potatoes, veggies and dip and/or salad
Tues-burgers, veggies, fruit, pretzels
Wed-ham and eggs cups, fruit (french toast for the kids)
Thurs-May the Fourth: Greedo Grilled Cheese for the kids and Boba Fett BBQ chicken for the adults with Tuscan Raider Tators (fries), Vadar veggies and R2D2 dip and wookie cookies for dessert!!
Fri-naan pizzas, fruit, veggies (DH eating low carb so will have leftovers of some kind)
Sat-undecided (shopping Friday and depends on sales)
Sun-undecided (shopping Friday and depends on sales)

On the menu for this week:

Mon-chicken souvlaki, roasted potatoes, veggies and dip and/or salad
Tues-burgers, veggies, fruit, pretzels
Wed-ham and eggs cups, fruit (french toast for the kids)
Thurs-May the Fourth: Greedo Grilled Cheese for the kids and Boba Fett BBQ chicken for the adults with Tuscan Raider Tators (fries), Vadar veggies and R2D2 dip and wookie cookies for dessert!!
Fri-naan pizzas, fruit, veggies (DH eating low carb so will have leftovers of some kind)
Sat-undecided (shopping Friday and depends on sales)
Sun-undecided (shopping Friday and depends on sales)

I love your Thursday menu:)...now, if only I had huge Star Wars fans!

Haven't been on in a little bit - some really good inspiration today. Beans on toast - haven't had that in forever - yum. And tofu parm? Sounds amazing - that will be a big hit in my house, esp. if I use fra diavolo sauce instead of regular tomato sauce... Do you sear the tofu first?

My week isn't super exciting - trying to use up some stuff I have and go easy on the grocery budget for the next couple of weeks.

Sa pizza - chicken, goat cheese, sweet chili sauce
Su pierogis, ham, cabbage
M Curried Chicken Salad Sanwiches (ciabatta), grapes
Tu Pork Chops, Canneloni beans & Spinach, Farro
W Chicken Burgers, Boursin (burger rolls), crudite
Th Eggs & Canadian Bacon - totally need to switch this out for something more entertaining on May the 4th! Maybe death star waffles for dinner (yes, we have the death star waffle maker)
F Reubens

You know it's a good week when you make 3 muffins from scratch (strawberry rhubarb, pineapple banana coconut, and strawberry blueberry) and none last more than 12 hours in your house. I seem to be making muffins instead of the old 1950s standby of cookies for kids to grab and snack on (enough that my husband commented on it to his workmates, who thought he should bring them in)...why? 1. They are healthier, b/c I'm always dumping 2 fresh fruits in, 2. They are cheaper, b/c the fruit needs to be cooked or tossed (since I buy on Fridays and make the muffins starting Monday/Tuesday), so that becomes almost free, and 3. They are so darn easy to make and clean up - one bowl, one mixing spoon, one 12 cup muffin tin, and some paper liners...so, me being lazy and cheap leads to some extra health and some extra homemade treats (b/c these are way cheaper than spending $4 to get 4 heavily sugared, heavily preserved muffins at the store:)...

So, anyway, back to this week's menu...I'm in process, but I have some thoughts in no day order, so I figured I'd get my brain process started here...

Mains - Hoisin Chicken Udon Noodles, Honey Mustard Chicken, Lamb, Rosemary, and Hummus Meatballs (too much free hummus in my house from grocery store "winnings"), Crockpot BBQ Ribs, Sandwich or Breakfast Day, Pizza Day, One Leftovers Day or Chili

Sides - Buttered Corn on the Cob, Sliced Tomatoes with Homemade Chive Dressing, Sweet and Sour Cucumber Dill Salad, Caesar Salad (friend gave me fresh romaine from her farm today for watching her son - score!), Fresh Pineapple, Fresh Strawberry Kiwi Salad, Fresh Mango, Muffins (2 more types - maybe Strawberry Banana and/or Mango), Mashed Sweet Potatoes and/or Mashed Potatoes and/or Baked Fries

I have to deal with a dinner that I can get on the table in 10 minutes for Sunday and Monday (so I might use a crock or do most of the meal ahead and warm it)...and a split dinner Wednesday, so it's a very crazy week to fit meals around, thus why most of my sides are fresh or in salad form (or prebaked, like muffins)...still have to figure out what mains work best what days and what ones go best with the sides:)...

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter