Eastern Carribean Excursions help!

MrsD78

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone!

This board has been such a huge help with planning our December cruise and I was hoping to ask for a bit more. I Ihave tried searching through the threads and haven't been able to locate the information.

We are doing a 7 night Eastern cruise this December with our 4 kids (3-10 at time of sailing) and my-in laws. I looked at some of the St.Martin & St Thomas excursions that are currently offered through DCL, but there doesn't seem to be alot of options that would include our youngest one's. I have heard about charters bit am not sure if tour or charter would be best for our group.

Any suggestions for what might work for out wide angle range group?

Also if Tortola is an option is there a way to do the baths without DCL? I don't know if the DCL bath excursion has an age cutoff that would hit our youngest. But my MIL really wants to do the baths.

I do not know that I would recommend the Baths with a 3 year old. You have to walk through water in caves and carrying a child is not necesaneces workable.

Thank you. I hadn't really looked at the excursion because of the cutoff that DCL has bit my MIL saw a YouTube video of it and got excited.

Are there any good excursions for families with young kids?

Is it better to go DCL excursions or other charter company?

I'm looking for similar info., Mrs. D. We are traveling with two babies on the Eastern Caribbean tour 12-1-18 and are looking for some mild walking tours or private tours that are land based for both St. Thomas and Tortola. Anyone out there with suggestions? I would really prefer to do a private arrangement, rather than go through DW. I did see the Skyride to Paradise Point in St. Thomas. This can be done through the cruise line or independently. The price is the same. We are probably doing that trip in St. Thomas but are looking for tours in Tortola that will be baby compatible.

I am sailing this itinerary in October. Hopefully I can come back and share my experiences!

I've opted to not book anything through DCL and we are going it alone. On Tortola, we are going to use Speedy's ferry to go over to Virgin Gorda and taxi to Baths. I emailed them and confirmed that they are up and running. I've seen some other message boards that recommend the beach right next door, Spring Bay Beach. There are no facilities but it is easier to get to (no hiking down the hill) and still has boulders in the water. If you still want to go to The Baths, you can just walk down to the first beach/beginning of the trail not walk through all of the boulders.

One thing to be aware of with private trips to The Baths - most of them do not dock. They drop anchor off shore and you have to swim in. I didn't think that would be so good with my kids so we are doing the ferry that docks and then has a taxi to the beach.

For St. Thomas, I've read that you can easily get to Maegan's Bay via taxi. I've also bookmarked Cane Garden Bay. Our current plan is to take the taxi to Red Hook and then Ferry over to Cruz Bay. We will taxi to either Trunk, Cinnamon or Maho beach.

I hope this helps!

Thanks, it does help! When you return, I'd love to hear about your experience. Another person on a different thread also mentioned Cane Garden Bay.

We rented a minivan (6 of us total) in ST Thomas and then took the ferry over to ST John and toured around on our own. Much better island and we had a lot of fun!

Did you rent through Disney or do it on your own? If on your own, did you have a rental place in mind before, or just do luck of the draw? Thanks for your thoughts on this.

You can go to The Baths with a little one & NOT go through the caves. It’s really beautiful. You can opt to head to Spring Bay or take the path down to The Baths but split off towards Devils Bay.

I’ve been to The Baths twice and have not gone on a cruise excursion. The first time I went using Speedy’s ferry on our own. I didn’t really like their ferries, though. I wanted to sit outside but there was no shade. The second time I lucked us into Sunshine Power Boats with Malcolm as our captain. We had his boat to ourselves, paid a flat rate, he took us to a marina on Virgin Gorda, and arranged a taxi bus to take us & bring us back. We did not do like other charters where they tie up out in the water by The Baths & you swim in. My favorite part was when we cruised PAST the big (slower) ferry. LOL!

We private chartered with Malcolm a third trip into Tortola but that day we had him do a custom snorkeling/beach day for my family. One of the best port days we ever had. I’m currently chartered with him to bring a group of my friends & me to a The Baths next month. Really looking forward to it. Malcolm is a fantastic captain and I highly recommend him.

http://www.sunshinepowerboatsvi.com/

Did you rent through Disney or do it on your own? If on your own, did you have a rental place in mind before, or just do luck of the draw? Thanks for your thoughts on this.

We rented the minivan on our own through a car rental company near the port. I apologize, I cannot remember which car rental company (Might have been Budget) but it was much less expensive and we made sure we were back to the ship approximately 2 hours before departure.

One thing to be aware of with private trips to The Baths - most of them do not dock. They drop anchor off shore and you have to swim in. I didn't think that would be so good with my kids so we are doing the ferry that docks and then has a taxi to the beach.

Does the tour through Disney require participants to swim in?

St. Thomas, go to Magen's Bay. Can do a Disney excursion or just take a taxi. Water is very calm for little ones, beautiful beach.

On Tortola, did the Jost Van Dyke beach day (TT65) Disney excursion. Boat ride to a beach with chairs set aside and a lunch that was surprisingly good - bbq chicken and fish. We would do that one again.

Does the tour through Disney require participants to swim in?
Ive done a private charter to The Baths and did NOT swim in. The cruise ship excursions basically charter a ferry so, no, those do not swim in either.

Hi everyone!

This board has been such a huge help with planning our December cruise and I was hoping to ask for a bit more. I Ihave tried searching through the threads and haven't been able to locate the information.

We are doing a 7 night Eastern cruise this December with our 4 kids (3-10 at time of sailing) and my-in laws. I looked at some of the St.Martin & St Thomas excursions that are currently offered through DCL, but there doesn't seem to be alot of options that would include our youngest one's. I have heard about charters bit am not sure if tour or charter would be best for our group.

Any suggestions for what might work for out wide angle range group?

Also if Tortola is an option is there a way to do the baths without DCL? I don't know if the DCL bath excursion has an age cutoff that would hit our youngest. But my MIL really wants to do the baths.

What we did w 3 kids:

On Tortola we did the Baths on our own and it was great. A short walk from the port is the ticketing office to buy seats for a boat to the island (Virgin Gorda). There will be room no matter what, no worries. The Charter companies are adjacent to one another. The clerks help each other out and direct you to the next one. The ride includes bus to the Baths Park. Pay admission and go at your own pace. If you go mid morning there’s a crazy long line for the Baths. Instead, go to the beach till the early afternoon, then do the Baths in reverse, lots of fun.

On St Thomas we went to Smith Bay beach, now called Lindquist Beach. Absolutely perfect. Take a cab or rent a car there. Nominal admission. Clean bathrooms. Bring food in a cooler or order a pizza to the beach (really). Beautiful beach, clean, not crowded, picturesque. Kids loved the day. A nice 4 hours or so.

You can go to The Baths with a little one & NOT go through the caves. It’s really beautiful. You can opt to head to Spring Bay or take the path down to The Baths but split off towards Devils Bay.

I’ve been to The Baths twice and have not gone on a cruise excursion. The first time I went using Speedy’s ferry on our own. I didn’t really like their ferries, though. I wanted to sit outside but there was no shade. The second time I lucked us into Sunshine Power Boats with Malcolm as our captain. We had his boat to ourselves, paid a flat rate, he took us to a marina on Virgin Gorda, and arranged a taxi bus to take us & bring us back. We did not do like other charters where they tie up out in the water by The Baths & you swim in. My favorite part was when we cruised PAST the big (slower) ferry. LOL!

We private chartered with Malcolm a third trip into Tortola but that day we had him do a custom snorkeling/beach day for my family. One of the best port days we ever had. I’m currently chartered with him to bring a group of my friends & me to a The Baths next month. Really looking forward to it. Malcolm is a fantastic captain and I highly recommend him.

http://www.sunshinepowerboatsvi.com/

Did you do the 1/2 day or full day with Sunshine? Website looks really good, what all did it include? Thanks!

Did you do the 1/2 day or full day with Sunshine? Website looks really good, what all did it include? Thanks!

Well, I’m not sure how to answer this question. See, when we found Malcolm & Sunshine it was completely by accident! In 2016 when we sailed NCL Escape back-to-back Easterns (same itinerary twice in a row) my plan for our first Tortola stop was to not have a plan. Crazy but hear me out.

When we were planning that trip I’d already been to Tortola less than a year earlier. That first time I went we went to The Baths using the DIY ferry method. There were things about the transit that I don’t care to do again. When we were walking to the Speedy’s Ferry dock hubby & I were approached by a fellow wearing a navy blue baseball cap that said “Egbert”. Nice guy. I’d heard of Egbert reading on Cruise Critic forums so I didn’t doubt that the fellow was legit. He’s pretty well known, actually. Reliable. He has a reputation, many have gone with him in the past. Basically Egbert would approach groups heading towards the ferry & offer them a ride to the same destination in a smaller vessel for roughly $40 each round trip. The hangup is he will not send the boat over until they have at least 10 onboard. How long will that take? No way to know exactly. Plus, the ferry was cheaper so we kept walking.

So fast forward to the next trip to Tortola. We had 6 in our group including my 2 older teenage sons, and inlaws. My un-plan was to find Egbert, strike the deal at $40pp, then offer to pay him that amount x10 if we could just leave right away. In the meantime I also been talking with other cruiser pals and they had told me about another guy they’d used, same deal, but his name was Aaron. So, we got there, hopped off the ship early, headed towards the gate like we were going to go to the ferry, and started looking around for these guys. I didn’t see anyone. It was still pretty early. A security guy near the gate saw me looking around and asked if he could help me out. I told him I was looking for Egbert or Aaron. He asked a few other local guys, taxi drivers, etc. but nobody had seen them. Then he said, “Oh you want to go to Baths! Hang on. I know a guy....” He walked over to a nearby food stand where lots of local guys we’re hanging around then returned with Malcolm. I had never even heard of Malcolm. Malcolm offered us the same deal at $40pp. Quick conference with the old man because I had zero knowledge of this guy but hubby said to just go for it. So I offered up the x10 which surprised him. But hey, in my eyes I was scoring a private charter to/from for $400. Can’t beat it! He took me up on it and off we walked the 10 minutes or so to the marina. That’s how I found Malcolm. Completely by accident. Or luck.

I think these charter boats this size, if they don’t have a charter scheduled they go try to rustle up some business by doing the per person offers. Smart, really! They need the funds & passengers need the ride. It works.

We enjoyed Malcolm a LOT. So much so that on the way back from Virgin Gorda when he was telling us all sorts of info about BVI we asked if he could do a private charter for my family of 4 the following week on our next Tortola day. (Inlaws headed home & didn’t do b2b.) Again, he seemed happily surprised but excited, too. For that second day we told him we liked to snorkel and explore interesting beaches. We asked him to show us *his* BVI, the places he thought were best. He even offered to stock the coolers onboard with our favorites: Pepsi, beer, & water. Yay! I think that second day we paid $600, $800 with the tip. One of our top 2 best port days ever. We had a total of 5 stops. Amazing snorkeling. Otherworldly beaches. Just incredible.

That first day I’d say we were with Malcolm for maybe 4 hrs or so total. The second day was more like 7 hrs. I mean we raced off the ship that day when the gangways opened and were inside that final hour returning (on purpose!). Now, since these days they’ve had the hurricane and costs of fuel are probably different now. I have Malcolm booked next month for my group of girlfriends for the half day charter. The full day adds a lunch stop (I’m thinking at Cooper Island) and a snorkel stop. Not many of us in the group this year are snorkelers so we opted to get on back so everyone can also have time to peruse the local trinket shopping. I still think it’s a fair price now. We have 7 going, possibly a couple more, so the per person cost isn’t very reasonable.

The key to this vs. the cruiseline excursion is time & speed. We will literally be at The Baths by the time the cruiseline groups are boarding their ferry. The smaller boat is also faster than the Speedy’s ferry. When the cruiseline folks arrive the cave path does get mighty busy. Being there and finished with the cave before them is sooooo worthwhile. But, I also understand, particularly with people who have never been to Tortola before, there’s also value to the peace of mind going with the cruise excursions. I’ve been twice out of 3 visits to Tortola so I’m pretty comfortable with it.

I know that was crazy long! Sorry. Hope I’ve helped!

EDIT. What it includes! The half day is your ride to/from Virgin Gorda, taxi is included. The entrance fee at the top he doesn’t pay because he doesn’t go over there with you. Out of 2 times I only saw someone collecting the money once. It’s only like $2pp. The coolers on the boat are stocked up. If you do the full day with the lunch stop you’ll have to buy your own lunch. Basically the price difference covers the additional time, fuel to another destination, and fees to dock. Anywhere he docks that boat there will be a fee for him to pay.

Last edited:
Well, I’m not sure how to answer this question. See, when we found Malcolm & Sunshine it was completely by accident! In 2016 when we sailed NCL Escape back-to-back Easterns (same itinerary twice in a row) my plan for our first Tortola stop was to not have a plan. Crazy but hear me out.

When we were planning that trip I’d already been to Tortola less than a year earlier. That first time I went we went to The Baths using the DIY ferry method. There were things about the transit that I don’t care to do again. When we were walking to the Speedy’s Ferry dock hubby & I were approached by a fellow wearing a navy blue baseball cap that said “Egbert”. Nice guy. I’d heard of Egbert reading on Cruise Critic forums so I didn’t doubt that the fellow was legit. He’s pretty well known, actually. Reliable. He has a reputation, many have gone with him in the past. Basically Egbert would approach groups heading towards the ferry & offer them a ride to the same destination in a smaller vessel for roughly $40 each round trip. The hangup is he will not send the boat over until they have at least 10 onboard. How long will that take? No way to know exactly. Plus, the ferry was cheaper so we kept walking.

So fast forward to the next trip to Tortola. We had 6 in our group including my 2 older teenage sons, and inlaws. My un-plan was to find Egbert, strike the deal at $40pp, then offer to pay him that amount x10 if we could just leave right away. In the meantime I also been talking with other cruiser pals and they had told me about another guy they’d used, same deal, but his name was Aaron. So, we got there, hopped off the ship early, headed towards the gate like we were going to go to the ferry, and started looking around for these guys. I didn’t see anyone. It was still pretty early. A security guy near the gate saw me looking around and asked if he could help me out. I told him I was looking for Egbert or Aaron. He asked a few other local guys, taxi drivers, etc. but nobody had seen them. Then he said, “Oh you want to go to Baths! Hang on. I know a guy....” He walked over to a nearby food stand where lots of local guys we’re hanging around then returned with Malcolm. I had never even heard of Malcolm. Malcolm offered us the same deal at $40pp. Quick conference with the old man because I had zero knowledge of this guy but hubby said to just go for it. So I offered up the x10 which surprised him. But hey, in my eyes I was scoring a private charter to/from for $400. Can’t beat it! He took me up on it and off we walked the 10 minutes or so to the marina. That’s how I found Malcolm. Completely by accident. Or luck.

I think these charter boats this size, if they don’t have a charter scheduled they go try to rustle up some business by doing the per person offers. Smart, really! They need the funds & passengers need the ride. It works.

We enjoyed Malcolm a LOT. So much so that on the way back from Virgin Gorda when he was telling us all sorts of info about BVI we asked if he could do a private charter for my family of 4 the following week on our next Tortola day. (Inlaws headed home & didn’t do b2b.) Again, he seemed happily surprised but excited, too. For that second day we told him we liked to snorkel and explore interesting beaches. We asked him to show us *his* BVI, the places he thought were best. He even offered to stock the coolers onboard with our favorites: Pepsi, beer, & water. Yay! I think that second day we paid $600, $800 with the tip. One of our top 2 best port days ever. We had a total of 5 stops. Amazing snorkeling. Otherworldly beaches. Just incredible.

That first day I’d say we were with Malcolm for maybe 4 hrs or so total. The second day was more like 7 hrs. I mean we raced off the ship that day when the gangways opened and were inside that final hour returning (on purpose!). Now, since these days they’ve had the hurricane and costs of fuel are probably different now. I have Malcolm booked next month for my group of girlfriends for the half day charter. The full day adds a lunch stop (I’m thinking at Cooper Island) and a snorkel stop. Not many of us in the group this year are snorkelers so we opted to get on back so everyone can also have time to peruse the local trinket shopping. I still think it’s a fair price now. We have 7 going, possibly a couple more, so the per person cost isn’t very reasonable.

The key to this vs. the cruiseline excursion is time & speed. We will literally be at The Baths by the time the cruiseline groups are boarding their ferry. The smaller boat is also faster than the Speedy’s ferry. When the cruiseline folks arrive the cave path does get mighty busy. Being there and finished with the cave before them is sooooo worthwhile. But, I also understand, particularly with people who have never been to Tortola before, there’s also value to the peace of mind going with the cruise excursions. I’ve been twice out of 3 visits to Tortola so I’m pretty comfortable with it.

I know that was crazy long! Sorry. Hope I’ve helped!

EDIT. What it includes! The half day is your ride to/from Virgin Gorda, taxi is included. The entrance fee at the top he doesn’t pay because he doesn’t go over there with you. Out of 2 times I only saw someone collecting the money once. It’s only like $2pp. The coolers on the boat are stocked up. If you do the full day with the lunch stop you’ll have to buy your own lunch. Basically the price difference covers the additional time, fuel to another destination, and fees to dock. Anywhere he docks that boat there will be a fee for him to pay.

Thanks, neat story. Sounds like he'll take us anywhere then. Where would you recommend for a pretty beach? We're not really into snorkeling.

Thanks, neat story. Sounds like he'll take us anywhere then. Where would you recommend for a pretty beach? We're not really into snorkeling.
Of the 2 beach stops we went to we thought Peter Island was the most beautiful. Borrowed picture:

440560B8-E382-43FB-B20F-A6BB91F5FB82.jpeg

The beach itself is publicly accessed but there’s a resort there and I’m not sure what facilities would support a beach day outside of the resort. My suggestion would be to contact Sunshine, explain exactly what you are looking for in terms of beach & services, and let them guide you. I know for Malcolm he’s always lived in BVI and knows the Islands & beaches well. They should be able to match you up with the right destination.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter