• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Eastern Caribbean in late August

JM_97

DIS Veteran
Historically, how is the East Caribbean in late August when it comes to hurricanes? I know you never really know with hurricanes but was curious if anyone has had their cruise altered because of one. I am looking at the 7 night Eastern Caribbean Cruise from August 19-26 on the Disney Fantasy.

When we did an Eastern on the Fantasy, they switch out St. Marten for Puerto Rico on the afternoon of our embarkation due to the potential for some nasty weather. We also sailed during Hurricane Irene on the Dream and missed Castaway Cay due to the storm. Both of these sailings were mid to late August. We have also done a bunch of Bahama and Western cruises during the same time period and had seas that were very smooth so it can vary quite a bit.

When we did an Eastern on the Fantasy, they switch out St. Marten for Puerto Rico on the afternoon of our embarkation due to the potential for some nasty weather. We also sailed during Hurricane Irene on the Dream and missed Castaway Cay due to the storm. Both of these sailings were mid to late August. We have also done a bunch of Bahama and Western cruises during the same time period and had seas that were very smooth so it can vary quite a bit.
Yeah I live in the Southeast so I know first hand how unpredictable they are. Hopefully we won't have to worry about it but I'm gonna go in knowing things can change

Get good travel insurance if you book that cruise so you are protected. As you know recently more hurricanes have been coming in Sept-Oct-Nov than in the past but that doesn’t exclude tropical systems from causing damage out East even if it doesn’t impact mainland USA.

Historically, how is the East Caribbean in late August when it comes to hurricanes? I know you never really know with hurricanes but was curious if anyone has had their cruise altered because of one. I am looking at the 7 night Eastern Caribbean Cruise from August 19-26 on the Disney Fantasy.
We usually sail in August and while we have had some port changes, missed a port, or had to change sea days with CC it has never been anything that negatively impacted the cruise. With that said we are also booked on the 8/19 Fantasy and I just made my 2nd to last payment. ;) Obviously I'm not hesitating to sail then.

Was that St Marten/San Juan change in 2014? I was on the cruise too! And I believe I was on the Dream after you in 2011. That was one we made it to CC, but a day late as they had to finish cleaning up the island from Irene.

Just to add that you could experience the disruptions anytime, so I would agree with others to have insurance and book it.

We had a January Caribbean cruise get completely mangled one year from a Nor'easter with waves reaching deck 6. I didn’t know at the time a storm so far away could cause that big of a mess! You just never can tell.

We usually sail in August and while we have had some port changes, missed a port, or had to change sea days with CC it has never been anything that negatively impacted the cruise. With that said we are also booked on the 8/19 Fantasy and I just made my 2nd to last payment. ;) Obviously I'm not hesitating to sail then.

Was that St Marten/San Juan change in 2014? I was on the cruise too! And I believe I was on the Dream after you in 2011. That was one we made it to CC, but a day late as they had to finish cleaning up the island from Irene.
Yes - we were on the same cruise in 2014 when they made the St. Marten/San Juan change. We actually lucked out a bit in 2011 as we made it to Castaway on the first stage of our B2B but missed it on our second stage due to Irene.

The biggest concern is getting your itinerary altered. If you are okay with that, then go for it. It's rare that an entire cruise has to be scrapped due to a hurricane, as the ships can usually sail around it (notable recent exception being after Ian last September when a Wish 3-night was scrapped due to not being able to dock at PC on time).

If you're really tied to those ports, then just know there's a chance you might not make one (including Castaway Cay) or your whole itinerary might switch. You also might encounter rougher seas than at other times of the year if a hurricane/storm passed through recently.

We have been sailing the Fantasy late August and early September every year since 2012. We have had itinerary changes as well as ports of call change. I think it was Hurricane Irma in 2017 that actually caught us and the captain cancelled several days and brought us back early (Thursday). Florida has mandatory evacuations, people freaked out because they could not get flight changes, hotels were closed, no rental cars and the airport also closed at some point. We had people sleeping in the atrium trying to get help from guest services. Internet was a huge issue but they tried to open the wifi but it did not make much of a difference. It was a nightmare getting out of town (we drove home to VA). But that was the only time we actually got impacted or cancelled by a storm.

Aug 19 is in the season for hurricanes. We had a cruise canceled this past fall. We just had them move all the money to a new cruise. No problem. Actually got a better cabin out of it.

We’ve booked this cruise-did you? Hopefully , no hurricanes!!
dk

We’ve booked this cruise-did you? Hopefully , no hurricanes!!
dk
MIL and FIL just told me they booked last minute on this cruise. We're jealous, but sailing in October on the Fantasy, so we can wait a few more weeks!

I heard a news/weather report the other day that said a strong El Nino, that may develop, may impact strong storms in the Caribbean-meaning they would be unlikely to impact that area as they have in the last several years. However, that same El Nino, if it develops, would bring those storms up the east coast. Being from the northeast, we know that we are long overdue for a major storm in this area. So that is their guess. Last year everything in the tropics started up a bit later than usual. You never really know. Get good trip insurance, go with the flow, cross your fingers, hope for the best. And enjoy your adventure!

I heard a news/weather report the other day that said a strong El Nino, that may develop, may impact strong storms in the Caribbean-meaning they would be unlikely to impact that area as they have in the last several years. However, that same El Nino, if it develops, would bring those storms up the east coast. Being from the northeast, we know that we are long overdue for a major storm in this area. So that is their guess. Last year everything in the tropics started up a bit later than usual. You never really know. Get good trip insurance, go with the flow, cross your fingers, hope for the best. And enjoy your adventure!
Yes, the NOAA predicted a 'normal' hurricane/tropical storm season this year (the past two years it was predicted to be above average). A lot of it has to do with El Nino, as you stated.

Have had hurricanes impact southern and western itineraries but not on the eastern. Can't remember exact timing for either. Never encountered bad weather on the cruise itself. DCL handled things much better than other cruise lines whose passengers we encountered.

On our southern, DCL reversed the order of port visits so we had Antigua last. There was visible damage and the beach club we visited was still having water and power issues but it was a good time nonetheless. We still made every port and the crew made arrangements for our shore excursions. Passengers from at least one other ship we encountered said their captain just stayed out at sea for most of the time and they missed all but one planned port of call.

On the western, we were in Jamaica and scheduled to sail north between Cuba and Hispaniola on the way to CC but the hurricane was taking that same route. As a result, we reversed course and had a second, unscheduled stop in Mexico. The bigger issue was that Port Canaveral was hit by the same hurricane and was closed on the day we were supposed to return, so we wound up with an extra day on the ship at sea.

As soon as it looked like we might not port on time I rebooked our flights on the SWA app and our travel agent booked a night at the Hyatt MCO so we were covered either way. We were in Concierge too so that was a big help. They let Concierge guests use the phone there to make calls for travel arrangements. The main Guest Services desk was a madhouse, however, with people waiting hours to use their phones to call about travel arrangements. Disembarkation was insane too and thank heavens we had the Concierge express for that too.

We were booked on the eastern, and then Dorian came. This was I believe end of August beginning of September 2019. We were only on embarkation or day 1 when it was announced that are sailing, was turning into a western Caribbean. We ended up doing Cayman Islands and Cozumel and I believe we had an extra sea day. Our last stop was cast away and we were the last boat there before it was hit the next day I believe we came into port on time, but I believe the sailing after us was canceled or extremely late going out, I don’t recall. A few years before we were in Walt Disney World the same time and Irma then came in we didn’t sail then I’m pretty sure those Sailings were affected to.. it’s a risk to take I say, get insurance and roll with it. Now this is like your once in a lifetime trip maybe reconsider some other time. But we travel a lot throughout the year so a impaccted Vacation is not gonna affect us greatly mentally. Get insurance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter