Easiest way for kids to scan in for lightning lanes?

The park entrance CM can also issue a card no need for an extra stop.
Thanks! I thought this was an option but hadn't seen anyone mention it.
My plan was to stop at the ticket window to get them, I know they can do it there and that way we don't hold up the line to get in the park
I would recommend getting them as you enter the park at the tap. GS is often very lined up and slow in the morning. You will spend a lot of unnecessary time in line when you can quickly get them at the tap.
Our trip is Weds so not enough time to order off of ebay but I did look a few weeks ago when I had more time and there was nothing under $20, and we need 2, so that's $40 and I don't think it's worth the expense when we can get free plastic cards. It's just for 2 days for 2 toddlers.

We have the magic band plus for ourselves because we are passholders and will be there more often so it is worth while.
Personally I would just pop them in your pocket and not worry about lanyards at all. We were at DL last summer which used tickets and it was super simple to use cards for entering the parks and tapping in to LL.

I would recommend getting them as you enter the park at the tap. GS is often very lined up and slow in the morning. You will spend a lot of unnecessary time in line when you can quickly get them at the tap.
I hate to hold up the line doing that!
Usually when get there before park opening there is never a line at the ticket booths. I'm not talking about guest services.
Personally I would just pop them in your pocket and not worry about lanyards at all. We were at DL last summer which used tickets and it was super simple to use cards for entering the parks and tapping in to LL.
I'm always afraid we'll lose 2 plastic cards that are just loose like that, seems more secure in lanyards but you're right, one more thing to worry about.

I hate to hold up the line doing that!
Usually when get there before park opening there is never a line at the ticket booths. I'm not talking about guest services.

I'm always afraid we'll lose 2 plastic cards that are just loose like that, seems more secure in lanyards but you're right, one more thing to worry about.

You won't hold up the line, the park greeter CM's are trained to do this quickly and efficiently, takes much less time than someone using the app for more than one guest. This is part of their job :)

Ah thanks for the tip about entry! I'd planned on queuing at GR to get the cards, so pleased to know there's a quicker option! The cards can be used for everything linked to your account, right? Genie+, dining reservations, photopass?

Yes... well, you don't really use the card for dining reservations but if you did then yes.

You won't hold up the line, the park greeter CM's are trained to do this quickly and efficiently, takes much less time than someone using the app for more than one guest. This is part of their job :)
You are suggesting to do this at the turnstile, right? I just don't get why we would do that.

Last edited:
FWIW I was watching an EarScouts video very recently where he covered using Magic Bands vs cards vs phones and he said CMs at the gate/tap styles don’t always have card media on hand and if not they’ll tell you to go to Guest Services anyway.

FWIW I was watching an EarScouts video very recently where he covered using Magic Bands vs cards vs phones and he said CMs at the gate/tap styles don’t always have card media on hand and if not they’ll tell you to go to Guest Services anyway.
do you have a link to this video?

Is there a GS window before the ticket turnstiles?
We are staying offsite so I'm presuming we are held prior to the ticket area until the park opens?

I'm not sure about a GS window but you can also pick up these cards at any ticket window. So TTC for MK and after security but before the tap points at the other parks. Which park are you visiting first? Depending on crowds I'd think you should be able to reach them before the park opens. Part of your party could even go to the turnstile lines while one of you waits and picks up the cards.

I'm not sure about a GS window but you can also pick up these cards at any ticket window. So TTC for MK and after security but before the tap points at the other parks. Which park are you visiting first? Depending on crowds I'd think you should be able to reach them before the park opens. Part of your party could even go to the turnstile lines while one of you waits and picks up the cards.
This is EXACTLY what we plan to do....this morning! Today's the day! Thanks for all your help!

Personally I would try at tapstiles first as that’s where they are supposed to be available. We’ve never had a problem getting them there. There are far more tapstiles open than ticket windows so it’s normally a faster process. Most guests at the ticket windows are purchasing tickets which requires far more time, decisions, paying, etc. At a time when every moment counts as guests are excited to get into the park, unless there we zero people at the ticket window I would choose the tapstiles first.

Last edited:
But, why, if there's a simple method (ticket window), would you want to possibly hold up a line of people at the gate to get cards for multiple people?

Because that is their job?

If you want to go to GR that is fine, your choice but it is also appropriate to go directly to the tapstyles and let them do what they are trained to do. Trust them to do their job and do it quickly.

My dd is a CP CM Park Greeter for reference.

/out

But, why, if there's a simple method (ticket window), would you want to possibly hold up a line of people at the gate to get cards for multiple people?
Because the ticket window or outside-the-park Guest Relations window may not be as "simple" as it sounds. At park opening, or leading up to park opening, there tend to be long waits at those windows. CMs there encourage anyone who has a working ticket in MDE to go to the tapstiles or the inside-the-park Guest Relations; at that time of day they prefer to focus on guests with ticket issues preventing entering the park. If you are arriving at the park at a non-busy time, the ticket window and Guest Relations windows tend to be less busy and have more time to help.

Personally I would try at tapstiles first as that’s where they are supposed to be available. We’ve never had a problem getting them there. There are far more tapstiles open than ticket windows so it’s normally a faster process. Most guests at the ticket windows are purchasing tickets which requires far more time, decisions, paying, etc. At a time when every moment counts as guests are excited to get into the park, unless there we zero people at the ticket window I would choose the tapstiles first.
There always seems to be zero people at the ticket windows when we get there 15 to 30 minutes before park opening. So that's what we did and it was very quick and easy.

Over the last few days we watched SO MANY people holding up the lines using phones. Please people, either do magic bands or plastic cards, SO MUCH faster and easier. Even our 3 year old was able to scan his plastic card by himself
very quickly every time

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter