Easiest way for kids to scan in for lightning lanes?

cruisnfamily

DIS Veteran
We are bringing our grandchildren, ages 3 and 5, for just 2 days and have bought 2 day fl resident weekday passes for them.. What is the easiest way to have them scan in to rides when we use Genie +?
We have magic bands and were hoping to reassign some old ones to the boys but it turns out they cannot be reassigned. So we thought maybe just getting the plastic cards would be the easiest way to do it for them since we don't want to spend the money($35 to $45) to buy magic bands for just 2 days. We know we can use our phones but that seems like it would be more troublesome than just having the plastic cards.

Opinions?

The plastic cards are your best option. But I’d reconsider getting MBs — if the adults will be using them, the kids will want them as well.
We just give the kids a magic band, then have the adult use a phone or card.

So if Tina and Betty are adults with magic bands, and Timmy the kid doesn't have a band, I'd put Tina's band on Timmy. Betty and Timmy use bands and Tina uses a phone or card. This works for us because the kids don't want to weara band/tap in for a whole day. So they wear it for a couple rides then give it back. Sometimes my kid has a whole string of bands and taps it for everyone, then I use a phone for anyone who didn't have a band.

It doesn't matter with genie+, but if you use das I'd make sure the das-holder keeps their own band to avoid confusion.

Plastic cards!! Both from experience and observation the phones are slowest option and especially if you have to scan multiple from one phone.

We were there a week ago at DHS. Early open was 8, regular 8:30 and we were there about 8:45. Lines were backed up from the ticket scanners all the way to security. It was so frustrating. As we got in sight of the scanners it was the phones that were the problem. Once in hearing distance with closer observation as they were scanning each phone ticket they were making a hard ticket for each person without MB. CMs repeatedly said "Use the hard ticket at LL not your phone. It will be faster and easier." So even Disney is saying use the hard ticket or MB.

Plastic tickets are the best option. We are in a similar situation and I am looking to buy lanyards. I want ones that are breakaway, and adjustable length for smaller folks. I have found a few I like but unfortunately don't have a Disney theme.

The plastic cards are your best option. But I’d reconsider getting MBs — if the adults will be using them, the kids will want them as well.
It's just not worth that kind of money for just 2 days at a minimum price of $35 each, That's $70 that I would rather spend on Genie+. I'd happily buy them bands if I could find them for $10 or less.

Now that I've decided on the plastic cards I have another question. If I put them on a lanyard in a plastic pouch, can I scan them in that way without taking them out of the plastic? Can I have 2 in the same plastic pouch? Or would I need 2 separate ones?

Thanks for all the help, just trying to make it quick and convenient for us and anyone in line behind us!

Good choice. Plastic cards are so much easier than phones. Phones are notoriously difficult to use for scanning and cause a lot of unnecessary lines at the tap stations.

We just returned from a Disney cruise. We tapped our cards through the plastic pouch the entire week. Didn’t remove it once and tapped well over 100 times.

I believe each card would require a separate pouch if you intend to leave them in the pouch..

Where do you get plastic cards? - I bought my tickets online so nothing has come in the mail (yet)?

If you are local, you can also get a plastic card at MS at Disney Springs.

If you are staying on site, you can buy a Magic Band2 for a lot cheaper than a Magic Band+. You can also buy a UNLINKED Magicband 2 on ebay.

I also use my Apple watch for my kid sometimes. I have it set on her from my Apple wallet, and it's not hard to pull up.

Now that I've decided on the plastic cards I have another question. If I put them on a lanyard in a plastic pouch, can I scan them in that way without taking them out of the plastic? Can I have 2 in the same plastic pouch? Or would I need 2 separate ones?

Thanks for all the help, just trying to make it quick and convenient for us and anyone in line behind us!
I've been behind guests at Lightning lanes who had cards in plastic pouches, and sometimes they work and sometimes not (Maybe depends on the thickness of the plastic? Cast member had them take them out and they were fine). Also saw a guest try to scan a stack of cards and got the dreaded blue light. Cast member said they often won't work if you try more than one at a time, so I'd go with a separate thin pouch for each.

I've been behind guests at Lightning lanes who had cards in plastic pouches, and sometimes they work and sometimes not (Maybe depends on the thickness of the plastic? Cast member had them take them out and they were fine). Also saw a guest try to scan a stack of cards and got the dreaded blue light. Cast member said they often won't work if you try more than one at a time, so I'd go with a separate thin pouch for each.
Thank you! We'll bring 2 pouches, I put them on some disney cruise lanyards I have and maybe the boys will want to wear them. We'll see

If you are staying on site, you can buy a Magic Band2 for a lot cheaper than a Magic Band+. You can also buy a UNLINKED Magicband 2 on ebay.
Our trip is Weds so not enough time to order off of ebay but I did look a few weeks ago when I had more time and there was nothing under $20, and we need 2, so that's $40 and I don't think it's worth the expense when we can get free plastic cards. It's just for 2 days for 2 toddlers.

We have the magic band plus for ourselves because we are passholders and will be there more often so it is worth while.

If you are staying onsite at a Disney resort they can reassign a magic band at the front desk if you want to go that route. I have done it before and it only took a few extra minutes. But the cards on a lanyard will work just as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter